My "New" Willy's II Trailer Build

slimtwo

Adventurer
I spent more time on the box today. I tried to make the warped side panel work, by pulling it in with a strap. But it was just too bad. I ended up scraping it and cutting a new one. That took care of the two sides, and the front and back panel. Next, I pulled out the two remaining ¾” sheets, that will be used for the inner bulkheads. I didn’t get a chance to cut them today, but I will be back on it Monday. In the morning, then in the afternoon, after lunch, I will head over to “All City Steel” to cut and bend the fender tubs.

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Finally, I have something exciting to share. I got the inner fenders and backs sheared and bent this afternoon. I got back to the shop and started to tweak them in preparation to trimming the backs, and welding them up. But I ran out of time.

02212201.jpg

02212202.jpg

Tomorrow, I hope to get them welded up. But first, I have to tack them up and make sure they fit correctly, then I can weld them up.

02212203.jpg 02212204.jpg

I also started laying out the bulkhead placements inside the box this morning. There are three bulkheads in the box. The main BH that divides the front compartment from the back. And the two rear bulkheads that separate the side kitchen and storage compartments from the rear cargo area. I have not finalized that yet, but I hope to do that tomorrow as well, and cut out the panels. Back tomorrow.

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
So, I worked on the fenders today. I got the first one trimmed and almost welded up, and the welding wire ran out.

02222201.jpg

So, I had to go get another spool of wire for the Mig. Luckily, it happened at lunch time, so I took care of both. Got back to the shop, and loaded the new spool, and tried to finish the first fender, so I could start the second one, but for some reason the wire kept fouling in the feed driver, or what ever it is called. It took me a few times, and a bit of wasted wire, but I finally figured out the problem. I had the tension to tight, so, any little bump of the wire while welding, and it would end up in a rat’s nest at the spool. At any rate, got it done.

02222202.jpg

02222203.jpg

02222204.jpg

Because of all the drama with the welder, I didn’t get to the bulkheads. Tomorrow.

Happy trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Got the bulkheads rough cut today. I have some trimming to do, but they’re mostly done. There will be a divider in the front compartment as well. Almost forgot.

02232201.jpg

I ordered the full extension slides yesterday, so I should see those next week. They are for the fridge. I spent most of my time today, figuring out for the forward bulkhead location. Only once that was done, could I measure and cut the two rear bulkheads. I do need to trim for the floor seam brace still, but that is minor. I placed the fenders on the chassis to check the clearance over the tires. They fit nicely.

02232202.jpg

All for now.

Happy Trails Everyone!

Av8Chuck

Fenders look great. I'm not a welder (yet) so I had to go and just had my fenders welded.

FENDER 2.JPG

FENDER 1.JPG

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your slides and for how much?

slimtwo

Adventurer
Did I mention how disappointed I am with the quality of plywood I bought? /I have had such a time working with this stuff. I am almost to the point on the box, where I need to cut out the doors, and I am concerned, that as soon as I cut those panels out, what’s left of the side panels are going to spring into a warp on me. I am going to be using ¾” for the doors, so I don’t have to worry about the doors not holding their shape, but it would be nice to have the frames straight and flush. At any rate, I am finishing up with mounting the interior bulkheads. Next, I think I need to get the top cut and fitted in place. Especially, due to the concern of warping. I intended to use ½” ply for the top, but I’m having second thoughts now. My challenge is clearance. This thing has to fit inside the frame, and I’m pretty tight.

Well, that’s where I’m at for now. I didn’t take any pictures this time. I will tomorrow, and post them on the next one. Have a great day everyone!

Happy trails!
Fenders look great. I'm not a welder (yet) so I had to go and just had my fenders welded.

View attachment 709004

View attachment 709005

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your slides and for how much?
I bought the slides on amazon; YENUO Heavy Duty Drawer Slides Locking Full Extension Side Mount Ball Bearing Long Rails Track Guide Glides Runners 32 inch 800mm Load 500lbs 1 Pair
They should be here on Thursday. I still need to build the tray that the fridge sits on. Like those fenders! I would have liked to have used tubing, to get nice radiused edges, but don't have access to a bender like that. Nice trailer. My first one is like that. 20211118_155321.jpg

slimtwo

Adventurer
Had to take some time off from the trailer for our 42nd Anniversary, and to do some yard work, which I have somewhat neglected. So, a few weeks ago, I had to trash one of the side panels because it was so bad. Well, in doing so, that left me one ½” sheet short. So, after stewing over this for a while. I decided to go to Reel lumber and get better quality plywood. I ended up buying Baltic Birch in ½”. I bought two sheets, so they would match. These are for the top of the box. Man, I got to tell ya, the difference in quality, is like night and day. I’m telling you, it is all I can do, to keep from trashing the whole thing and starting over. My hope is, that once I get the side panels cut out, and everything screwed together, including the top, it will keep its shape. If not, then I don’t know what else to do, but replace the bad stuff with BB. Time will tell. And It just hit me! Because it’s plywood, I can’t even cut it up and burn it for fire wood. That really chaps my hide!!!

I had to use clamps in order to tweak panels into place so I could line up the screw holes.

03032201.jpg 03032202.jpg

Here are the sheets for the top. They still have to be trimmed to fit, but look how nice and straight these are. If I had started with material like this, I would already be glassing the box. prepping for the finish. Makes me wanna cry!

03032203.jpg

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Finally, a substantial amount of progress. I was able to trim and fasten the top yesterday, and today, I cut out the door openings for the side and rear panels. I also cut out for the fenders. In my previous post, I expressed my concern with cutting out the door openings, however, I am relieved to say it was no problem. So, next time at the shop, I am going to mount the fenders on the box, and get ready to test fit the box on the chassis. In order for that to happen, I need to re-install the air bags. So, I need to finish cleaning and degreasing the chassis, so I can so that. I guess I’m the point with the box, that I should shift over to the chassis, and prep it for paint, and just paint it, so I can put it all back together. I guess I’ll chew on that until Monday.

03052201.jpg

03052202.jpg

03052203.jpg

It's starting to look like a trailer.

Happy Trails everyone!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Now that I have the compartment access hatches cut out, I need to clean up the edges and lines. Once that is done, then I can measure for the door sizes, and cut them out. I think I am going to try using a small trim router, using a flush trim bit. But in order for me to do that, I need to come up with a way to attach a straight edge for the bit to ride on. I only need to trim a tiny bit off, and If I try to free hand that, I am going to make a mess of it. So, while I am pondering how to make that work, I drilled the holes in the fenders for the screws, and got them mounted. They look great. I’m excited. One of the fenders needed just a bit of persuasion, but I got it. More later.

03072206.jpg

03072201.jpg 03072203.jpg 03072205.jpg

Checking the fit for for the fridge sliders. I left more than enough room.

03072204.jpg

Happy Trails!

Snydmax

You need to make a template for the doors then use a router bit with a top bearing to cut them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snydmax

I don’t know if it was intended, but I like the lip the fenders have beyond the box edge

slimtwo

Adventurer
Didn’t do much today. I brought home most of the left-over materials from the initial cuts, and cut out the kitchen and the right-side storage bottom shelf piece. The piece I used for this was the least warped. I also cut the seam cap for the top. I originally intended to have this seam underneath the top, and then just patch the seam. But I decided to put it on top. I won’t really show, and it will save me having to notch the bulkheads. I was going to head over to the shop and install the shelves, but I had to work on the Koi Pond instead. Pump trouble. But I got it fixed. More later.

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
You need to make a template for the doors then use a router bit with a top bearing to cut them out

That may be the way I end up doing it, building a pattern. I could make the patterns fit the larger of the two opening for each door, then use the patterns for both sides. I was also thinking I could just clamp a straight edge at each edge, however, then I would just have to make sure I kept it square. It's probably 6 one, half a dozen the other, as far as time spent. So, your idea of the pattern is the better, more accurate choice. Thanks for the input! This will give me a chance to pull out the pocket hole jig I bought, and only used once. Thanks again!!!

Last edited:

slimtwo

Adventurer
I don’t know if it was intended, but I like the lip the fenders have beyond the box edge

Ya, I set it up so the tire is completely covered. They stick out just about an inch. But I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne