My new Volvo TGB 1314

Santa

Hi NICK,
Very cool indeed.
I am most likely going to add a Cummins R2.8 Diesel to ours. Im trying to find a Van body for ours. So far no luck. We want to go with something a bit shorter in height. We also want to ship ours over to Australia and hit Tasmania, Fraser Island, Cape York track, Simpson desert, Canning stock and so on and so on. Australia is so Beautiful! So our build will be towards absolute reliability and LONG range capability but trying to keep her as light as possible. LOL well for a Military 6x6 that is. Cheers. Have you started a thread on your build yet?

Hi Outback, just coming to the end of an 18-month rebuild. I put a Mercedes OM606 in it and converted it to disc brakes and RHD for Australia. Get in touch when you get to Oz, there are a few TGBs here. My build pics are on the Volvo/tgb FB page.
6a23dce1b6d1812125a1e7ed3e70a993.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DzlToy

Explorer
Do either of you guys have an overall height measurement, preferably from the top of the box, sans roof rack?

What tires/size are you running and did you upgrade the suspension in any way to handle the diesel engine or other mods that you have in the works?

Outback

Explorer
Hi Outback, just coming to the end of an 18-month rebuild. I put a Mercedes OM606 in it and converted it to disc brakes and RHD for Australia. Get in touch when you get to Oz, there are a few TGBs here. My build pics are on the Volvo/tgb FB page.
6a23dce1b6d1812125a1e7ed3e70a993.jpg

Whoa! Now that's a rebuild. She is gonna be beautiful. My membership is pending on that FB Group. Thanks for the heads up.

Outback

Explorer
Do either of you guys have an overall height measurement, preferably from the top of the box, sans roof rack?

What tires/size are you running and did you upgrade the suspension in any way to handle the diesel engine or other mods that you have in the works?
I just dropped my TGB1314 at my Mechanics shop. I will swing by there on Monday. I will get you a measurement. If memory serves me correct its about 9'2". I will check.

Santa

I’ll measure it up for you tomorrow

Santa

Total height of the box without the rack is 2750mm on 37” tires. Standard parabolic springs on the rear axles and aftermarket parabolic on the front. Let me know if you need more measurements.
Cheers
Nick

Outback

Explorer

Ive been swamped with contractors coming out to my house these last few days. Im heading out to get that height for you. My TGB1314 is on 35" tires.

Outback

Explorer
To the top of the roof at its peak with 35" tires she is exactly 9' tall. That does not include any of the racks or other protrusions.

Outback

Explorer
Been busy as usual. Started a new job and I am exhausted at the end of each day. Feels good though getting back to a physical job. Ive been getting too soft.......

On the Volvo front My brakes are all done just waiting for new brake drums. I figured I've spent this much getting everything just right and new so why not see it to the outer end of things, literally. All bearings, brake lines, seals, brake pads, wheel cylinders, springs and the last bit,new drums. Im guessing they should arrive around the end of next week or maybe by mid week after that. Fingers crossed to get everything finished up before our next 4x4 or uh 6x6 get together in a few weeks. I will get some pictures at the event. We should hit a trail or two as well.

Outback

Explorer
New shiny NOS drums came In for the front axle and installed. My mechanic buddy had it done the next day so we could make it out to our 4x4 meet this morning. Brakes work perfectly! The rear brakes work fine but I've decided to replace the shoes and wheel cylinders anyway, the fronts wheel cylinders were pretty crappy. One of the rear portals has a tiny leak so we are gonna fix that when we have everything apart. Seats will go out sometime next week to be reupholstered. Had a delay there. After that she gets registered. Cant wait to hit the trails. Stay tuned for future work. New OM606 mated to a freshly rebuilt ZF 5 speed with OD 5th and freshly rebuilt T-Case. All I need is a 5 speed shift knob from a TGB 20. Mine is missing that item. I am still looking for a rear van body. Ive ordered and received a few NOS van body parts but I can't find everything so far.

Santa

New shiny NOS drums came In for the front axle and installed. My mechanic buddy had it done the next day so we could make it out to our 4x4 meet this morning. Brakes work perfectly! The rear brakes work fine but I've decided to replace the shoes and wheel cylinders anyway, the fronts wheel cylinders were pretty crappy. One of the rear portals has a tiny leak so we are gonna fix that when we have everything apart. Seats will go out sometime next week to be reupholstered. Had a delay there. After that she gets registered. Cant wait to hit the trails. Stay tuned for future work. New OM606 mated to a freshly rebuilt ZF 5 speed with OD 5th and freshly rebuilt T-Case. All I need is a 5 speed shift knob from a TGB 20. Mine is missing that item. I am still looking for a rear van body. Ive ordered and received a few NOS van body parts but I can't find everything so far.

Sounds like good progress Outback. I wish mine was that advanced. I’m selling the box on the back of mine but it’s in Australia so shipping would be nasty.
7d69d5fa4ba233cd5b89beba40dd503f.jpg

Outback

Explorer
UPDATE: Well we received several complaints about my "Big green ugly Military Trucks" from the HOA. Also had one of my Military trucks tagged as "abandoned" as the registered address came back to a PO Box which its registered at (or was until a few days ago). Took off from work and called The local PD. A neighbor called and said it was abandoned. After talking to the officer who tagged it she said she had to because it was not registered for any address on the street. She said Im perfectly legal to park it there but that I should change the registered address so this won't happen again. She also stated that if they get another call after its registered that she will tell them its perfectly legal. I won't won't go into details on the harassment Ive been receiving from my Nieghbors
which is just one miserable lady who lives across the street. (well not all the details but here's just a few. I do know she's calling the HOA Dailey and driving them nuts. So instead of telling her to pound sand as they should they drive by every day and find something to write a warning letter about. Like its against HOA rules to park on landscaping. So after receiving the TEXT I go outside to see what the hell they are talking about? When I backed into my driveway my front right tire was 2" I I measured it) on the gravel and the rest of my tire was on the driveway. Surely this is not what they are talking about? So I call them. YUP that's it. Another text said My garbage cans were not properly stored. Again I go outside and sure enough my son put the garbage can away he put one about 6" closer to the street than usual Half way down the side of my house mind you. Now you can't see this from the street so someone had to walk over and down my driveway. This has been going on since I moved here. This neighbor even went as far and contacted the actual Homeowner (who we rent from) and told him that I have a HUGE 6x6 Military Vehicle parked on the driveway and that its so heavy its cracking the driveway. After dealing with that I received the latest BS complaint. I advised the HOA that I was done with the harassment. I informed them that my Vehicles are street legal. Im violating no HOW Rules. I informed them that If I receive one more BS complaint that I would be contacting my attorney and a Law suit would commence. I also informed them That I would also contact our local Media outlets. I also advised them that I would come over with a few hundred Vets and start protesting in front of there HOA Office. I informed them that my vehicles are used in Parades to Honor our Vets. That I have been requested by The Red Cross to display my Vehicles with their Disaster relief vehicles at their Disaster Relief events. I was also asked to display my vehicle at our Local VA Hospital for the Volunteer Appreciation Event. I also happen to be a Volunteer at the VA. I will not tolerate any more harassment or bullying from anyone. This particular Lady Hates the Military (she has told me this several times) and that she hates My Big Green Military Trucks. I have always been kind and cautious to her. Some people are just unbelievable!IMG_5787.jpgGuess which one is mine.......

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles