My new Volvo TGB 1314

Outback

Explorer
Hello,
Well I finally found a Volvo TGB1314. She was located in LA California with is about 6 hors from me. After a few weeks of talking back and forth I drove down there with a truck and trailer and brought her home. Jeff and John are great guys and they gave my wife and I a tour of their shop. WOW! Utterly amazing. One new Dog and two new friends it doesn't get better than that.

So the work has begun. I ordered 7 Yokohama Mts 315/75R16. Yesterday 5 of the 7 arrived. Two never left the warehouse. As to why they did not get loaded up is a question no one can answer. I took the day off since FedEx shipping showed all 7 were being delivered. A call to FedEx and SimpleTire revealed the lack of coordination and commitment to a customer by SimpleTire. They did give me 5% refund ($87) But I'm still in the hole $400 from missing that days work. Oh well Embrace the Suck.

I also ordered and or picked up everything I need to change every belt, hose, tune up, fluids ect ect ect to get her 100% reliable in my book. I also picked up a few spares of hard to get items that will stay in the vehicle. I am now just in need of the upper radiator hose (Volvo 644132). Still trying to track one down. If anyone has a source for me it would be much appreciated.

I already have designed (in my head) how the rear body will be built out as our expedition camper. Ive started gutting the rear cabin as I wait for other items to arrive. Ive driven her around a bit. She is no girly Tacoma. She does have her own spirit and unique feel about her. I actually enjoy getting back to the simple basics of vehicles past. Its not for everyone but she sure is for me. ONCE my last two tires finally arrive I will post up some pictures with her new shoes on.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Congrats Outback, post up your progress as it goes along.

Those are tough trucks to find! I'm still waffling between a 1314 or a Doka 'mog. Keep leaning more towards 'mog just due to utility...anyway, have fun with the build!

Outback

Explorer
Last week I had all 7 of my new tires installed. I went with the Yokohama Mts 315/75R16. I must say I am really impressed so far with the quality of these tires. They advertise that they are run quiet. I must say they do indeed run quiet. Ive had just about every high quality brand Mts out there on all my work vehicles and these hands down are the quietest to date plus I have two additional tires running compared to my other trucks. OFF ROAD I have no idea yet. I will keep you posted.

So far I have picked up everything I need to do a full tune up (plus spares of everything) as well as all the belts hoses ect ect needed to bring her back to spec. Ive also changed out the front axle diff fluid and portal fluid. My drivers front portal runs hot so I suspect a bad bearing. Im going to take her apart soon to see what's going on. The CV Joints in the front axle need to be replaced as well. Tomorrow will see me changing the Trans, Tase and rear axles fluids including the portals and the two rear drive shafts u joints (4) will get greased. The front steering system, front axle King Pins upper and Lower as well as the front drive shaft U joints have been greased. Progress is slow as I am now working Midnights. Stay tuned for more updates and pictures.

Outback

Explorer
I purchased a Lincoln cordless grease gun. After using it I kick myself for not getting one sooner. The best of both worlds No airline to drag around and no handle to pump. just attach to zirk and squeeze the trigger. If you ever thought about getting one do not delay any further. Saves so much time and super easy.

Outback

Explorer
I finished changing ALL the fluids. Everything that has a zirk has been re greased. I'm starting my full tune up which will also include changing every belt, hose and gaskets. I also plan to pull the trans and Tcase and install a new clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing. The clutch is fine but I want to have a clean slate and get it done now. That will also get me access to the rear main seal. After that's changed out she will be put back together. The only leak I have now that I can find is the valve cover gasket. I have a new one ready to go in. The Volvo drive line is completely sealed from water. On American trucks you can see the flywheel. Not on this Volvo. Pretty smart way to keep crap out.

On another note I will be pulling the old 2 core radiator and will have my local shop custom build me a extremely heavy duty 4 core aluminum radiator. This will really help in the cooling department. So far though I've been running her here at high altitude in 96 degree (F) weather and no issues. But that's on the road. Not crawling over rocks or driving on sand.

Last edited:

Santa

Great truck Outback! Here’s mine from Australia. It’s currently getting a Mercedes OM606 diesel motor
Cheers
Nick
a72e93fa778eb10442c559119bb6975a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outback

Explorer
So far The front axle portals have had all of the bearings replaced. The CVs have been replaced with Bomb Proof RCV CVs. The latest Silicone boots have been installed as well as new brake lines. Quick note, The original portal bearings were in perfect shape. Of course you don't know this until you open the portals up. Since I had already ordered and received the new bearings I went ahead and had them installed. Sometime this morning my shipment from Sweden arrived! My new Front axle brake shoes and wheel cylinders have arrived. They should be installed sometime next week.

A quick update on my situation. We moved out of our house right after Christmas last year. We moved into a smaller home but with a ok 2 car garage. Still better than what we just left but its no 3,000 square foot work shop like I had before. God I miss that workshop! Oh well making work what we currently have. As of last Friday I had been working non stop for 3 1/2 months. 12 hour days were the norm but a bunch of 18 hour days as well. Last Friday at 12 Midnight our contract ended. The company I worked for didn't bother to tell us the contract was ending until after I finished an 18 hr day on Thursday. Great company..... Anyway so back to us moving into this new house. I had pretty much stuffed the garage to the headers with our stuff. This week Ive actually had time to start getting everything organized, moved out and set up. My new 2 car garage workshop is starting to come to life. I have an electrician coming in the morning to wire in my currently non existent 220 Volt plug into the garage. I will now have power for my 80 gallon compressor and welders. After he is done I will be heading to Lowes or Home Depot to pick up a pile of 1" copper tubing and fittings to build my dry air compressor tubing system. I will also be assembling my blast cabinet and other machinery. I have big plans for the Volvo and this little workshop (like a new paint job for the Volvo) so stay tuned.

Outback

Explorer
Great truck Outback! Here’s mine from Australia. It’s currently getting a Mercedes OM606 diesel motor
Cheers
Nick
a72e93fa778eb10442c559119bb6975a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi NICK,
Very cool indeed.
I am most likely going to add a Cummins R2.8 Diesel to ours. Im trying to find a Van body for ours. So far no luck. We want to go with something a bit shorter in height. We also want to ship ours over to Australia and hit Tasmania, Fraser Island, Cape York track, Simpson desert, Canning stock and so on and so on. Australia is so Beautiful! So our build will be towards absolute reliability and LONG range capability but trying to keep her as light as possible. LOL well for a Military 6x6 that is. Cheers. Have you started a thread on your build yet?

Outback

Explorer
After the brakes are done I will be tackling the front seat situation as well as installing some serious Winch capability up front. The front seats I have decided will get a fresh coat of paint (frame) and some new leather. I like the size of the seats and they are comfortable for me and my wife. As far as the front winch my brother has a deal for me on a Warn Winch he bought for his 1 ton truck. Apparently the front bumper he bought takes a bit smaller winch than the one he has. So I will buy the smaller winch for him and we will trade. Not a bad deal for me. I will also be adding a rear winch at some point. Well that's the plan so far at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior