My new vehicle: 2005 Nissan Frontier

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I finally got around to reading your Frontier article in the OJ Gear issue - I had to finally reclaim the magazine from my son who was very fond of using it as bedtime material. I found a lot of similarities between your story, and when I was buying/building my Dbl Cab Tacoma, especially the continuous battle between building for yourself, versus building for family. I really like what you've done with your truck, the balance you've found, and hope to steal a few of your ideas for future growth and development of my Tacoma.

Very nice read - thanks!

articulate

Expedition Leader
Jacket said:
I really like what you've done with your truck, the balance you've found, and hope to steal a few of your ideas for future growth and development of my Tacoma.

Very nice read - thanks!
Steal? Nah, it's all there for the taking.

Thanks for checking out the article. :coffeedrink: I'm quite glad to hear that it's actually helpful to someone.

Mark

Okay, a few questions-

I recall reading somewhere (can't remember if it's in this thread or in your writeup, but you said the HiLift jack mount was worthless on the bumper. Could you expand a bit on it?

Also, what was the reasoning for mounting the rearview camer offset and not on top of the license plate? My guess is it's something to do with the design of the bumper?

Thanks!
-CD

articulate

Expedition Leader
Ah, it lives.

As for the jack mount, it's not 100% worthless. Picture. I had to pound on one of the mounting points to get it to line up with the holes on the jack's ladder. The shackle mount on the right gets in the way of the moving parts on the jack, so you've go to finesse it into place.

And the camera would have been slightly blocked because of the jack if used on the license plate.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
OKay here's a question for you guys with backup cameras.

On average how often do you have to clean the camera lens? Does it get very dirty/grimy?

Vision out the back of my rig is bad and isn't getting better soon so I'm looking for an inexpensive alternative.

I've seen the one at Pep Boys for like 80$ or so and it includes a monitor. Granted it's black and white. Mark, I see yours also has nightvision? How well does that work?

RaginRabbi

I've got one on that I hardly ever use, because I haven't permanently wired the monitor in yet, but so far camera lens (situated across to of rear license plate) seems to be okay. Will probably need a wipe down next time I use it.

2K54X4

Adventurer
Recently subscribed to the Overland Journal and just received the back issue covering your Frontier, Mark. Excellent read. I REALLY like what you have done with it. The dual battery setup is on my shortlist. And the bed setup is on my wish list.

Awesome job... I just can't say enough good things about it. :beer:

articulate

Expedition Leader
2K54X4 said:
Recently subscribed to the Overland Journal and just received the back issue covering your Frontier, Mark. Excellent read. I REALLY like what you have done with it. The dual battery setup is on my shortlist. And the bed setup is on my wish list.

Awesome job... I just can't say enough good things about it. :beer:
That's fantastic. Thanks, bro. I'd like to see someone install a dual battery system under the hood, but I just don't think it's possible (well, with a mortal's budget anyway). Where do you intend to put yours? Post 'er up when you get it in.

:beer:

articulate

Expedition Leader
Eh . . . why not? I'm not sure of the right place to put this, so I'll put it here. Check out this crazy stuff, it's right up the same alley as I Lost My No-Loss Valve Cap.

I lost --- are you sitting down? --- the lens cap from one, just one, of my Lightforce 170's. And I know where, sort of.

Camp Saturday night, N31 28.740 W110 47.129
missin_lens3.jpg

See that? Two happy, healthy Lightforce lights enjoying a sunset north of the Mexican line. I was happy, my daughter was happy, my wife was happy. We drank beer and cooked burgers.

In the morning, we did the usual: a little coffee, a pile of pancakes, dreaded clean up and packing. We drove down the hill toward the highway, and made it to approximately this location: N31 28.601 W110 47.115. I asked Brooke to get out to take a picture because the road looked . . . uh, really cool, what with all this wild grass growing up to the bumper height. Anyway, map it. That's 0.2 miles in a straight line between the coordinates above. I didn't notice this until I reviewed the pictures at home:
missin_lens.jpg

Okay, I can live with losing a light cover. But what I can't live with is the nagging wonder: where the hell did that thing go? How did I lose it? How did it come off? Wandering immigrants in the night? Lightforce Fairy? Smurfs?

Seriously, these things don't just come off by getting whacked on a branch. I suppose Sierra Expeditions will be happy to have another sale for this.

. . . wait a sec. W a i t j u s t a s e c o n d, here. Could it be? Hmmm. Possibly. I certainly wouldn't put it past those punks. Yeah. Exactly. Sierra must have their own mod-swiping gremlins. Probably attach SPOT hardware to each and every order so they know right where you are at all times.

It must be true.

2K54X4

Adventurer
articulate said:
That's fantastic. Thanks, bro. I'd like to see someone install a dual battery system under the hood, but I just don't think it's possible (well, with a mortal's budget anyway). Where do you intend to put yours? Post 'er up when you get it in.

:beer:

I don't feel it's possible under the hood either (unless I can somehow power my gear with a string of 9v batteries :) ). I am on the hunt for a decent sized tool box that sits flush with the bed so I can still use my tonneau cover. I don't really use my bed to haul all that much anyway so the space loss won't sting much.

I think your battery / bed setup is just amazing. While mine will never be what yours is, I think I can piece something together that suits my needs. Thankfully you've already done all the groundwork. I just need to use (steal?) some of your ideas.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
If I understand it correctly, the Odyssey batteries are half the size. So couldn't someone simply mount two under the hood? Heck if I move some things around I might could fit three of those bad boys.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Looks like in the process of getting your bike seat and post they took your Lightforce lens cover and knocked the side marker of you passenger headlight out of place...

missin_lens.jpg

:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles