My new vehicle: 2005 Nissan Frontier

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Now I can't decide which is worse...........

This .........or Missing Pizza!:(

articulate

Expedition Leader
FourByLand said:
Looks like in the process of getting your bike seat and post they took your Lightforce lens cover and knocked the side marker of you passenger headlight out of place...

:ylsmoke:
So you see that, eh? The side marker has been flopping around for well over a year now. Damn thing. I noticed it one day parked at Bay of LA and decided to go at it. Turns out I'd have to remove the friggin' bumper to get the headlight off (note that when it's time to replace a headlight . . .). The side marker is inside the headlight housing. Totally sucks. For now, "battle wound" from the washboard road to Puertecitos. A road that they say is now paved. In honor of good dirt roads gone black-n-smooth, I think I'll leave it alone.

If you dig into the archives of this thread you'll see that once upon a time I wanted to install 285/75r 16 tires. Thwarted at Discount Tire, though. So I settled in and was perfectly happy using 265/75r 16.

Recently, though, I decided the time had come to get new tires. And we'd really used the BFG KO's: the big Mainland Mexico trip of 2006 to Baja in 2007 to the Rocky Mountain Tour of 2008 – and countless weekend trips to our local stomping grounds in between. The last year and a half we'd been driving with one tire that had a screw through the tread (no doubt that it came from my own garage, too), and as of May 2008 the lugs reminded me of old men without much to give other than stories. Used up, traveled up, balding, and gray. A little raspy sounding, too.

The idea of “going just a little bit bigger”resurfaced. I made some calls to the tire shops in my neighborhood. A cool sounding kid at Tire Pros, after telling him of my woes in the past of trying to get the 285 width mounted on my meager 7-inch wheel, said to me, “Oh hell yeah, I'll get 'em on for ya, bro.”

God, I love people with good self confidence. He hooked me up. What do you think?

pimpy_broken_arrow.jpg

pimpy_cienegas.jpg

Side note, the awning you see on the driver side is a work-in-progress for a privacy room, sun shelter, rain shelter, what-have-you. When the details are better ironed out, I'll post more.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
articulate said:
...The idea of “going just a little bit bigger”resurfaced. I made some calls to the tire shops in my neighborhood. A cool sounding kid at Tire Pros, after telling him of my woes in the past of trying to get the 285 width mounted on my meager 7-inch wheel, said to me, “Oh hell yeah, I'll get 'em on for ya, bro.”

God, I love people with good self confidence. He hooked me up. What do you think?

Side note, the awning you see on the driver side is a work-in-progress for a privacy room, sun shelter, rain shelter, what-have-you. When the details are better ironed out, I'll post more.

I like the tires. Also, I'm diggin' the awning.

2K54X4

Adventurer
Looking good Mark. I like the 'beefier' tires though.

How many miles did you get out of your original set?

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Kudos for going against the grain again and getting the 285's.

Look like the ideal size on the Frontier. :clapsmile

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
articulate said:

pimpy_broken_arrow.jpg

pimpy_cienegas.jpg

I Think it looks very tough, very nicely done!

Looking forward to the awning details.

FlyingWen

Explorer
articulate said:
Sierra must have their own mod-swiping gremlins. Probably attach SPOT hardware to each and every order so they know right where you are at all times. It must be true.

Your onto us!

Our gremlin currently stands at 22" tall and moves like a jungle cat. It is no wonder why you did not notice the missing cover until you returned home. We also have our own satellite that we use to reflect images onto the missing mod, so that it's disappearance it is not visible to the untrained eye. Once the customer returns home and looks closely at their pictures... it is then, and only then that the missing mod is revealed.
LOL

Dave

Explorer
Nothing like a new set of shoes! I'm getting some new ones mounted and balanced today.

Have you noticed any tire-on-metal action (rubbing) with the wider tire?

So how's it feel on the road with the bigger shoes?

I ran TOYO M/T 285's for about a week. I hated the feel on the road, felt spongy, so I went to Dean/Cooper SXT M/T 265/75's. Got the good feel/response back on the road, and they've proven their worth offroad.

articulate

Expedition Leader
CoastalDefender said:
So how's it feel on the road with the bigger shoes?
I've had to think about this one for a few days. Seriously, I think my suspension is so tweaked out (soft and saggy like a pair of 80-year-old . . .) that if those tires were transferring exceptional squish I wouldn't notice it.

And it's hard to keep a grounded perspective on this sort of thing, what ever I love or hate about the new tires may just be placebo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior