My new vehicle: 2005 Nissan Frontier

Willman

Willman said:
Question on your rear bumper......
Do you have a picture of the bottom angle of your gas-pressured spring?

Love to see a picture on this Mark!

Thanks man!

:chowtime:

articulate

Expedition Leader
Nic,
Sorry about that. I've been really bummed about this request because

1. I took a bunch of shots when I installed it
  2. Accidentally deleted said pictures, and
  3. Recently broke the damn thing (careless)

Actually just broke the ball-stud thingy that holds one side of the spring. ANYWAY.... see if this helps much. The best angle I can find:
kma_1.jpg

Does this tell you much? The spring came with the hardware to mount it - totally painless. Both ends have a ball and socket joint; I just drilled and tapped the holes, screwed in the ball studs and attached the gas spring. Measure 3 times, though. I don't know where the heck I'm going to find another ball stud without buying the whole enchilada again.

Willman

articulate said:
Nic,
Sorry about that. I've been really bummed about this request because

1. I took a bunch of shots when I installed it
  2. Accidentally deleted said pictures, and
  3. Recently broke the damn thing (careless)

Actually just broke the ball-stud thingy that holds one side of the spring. ANYWAY.... see if this helps much. The best angle I can find:
kma_1.jpg

Does this tell you much? The spring came with the hardware to mount it - totally painless. Both ends have a ball and socket joint; I just drilled and tapped the holes, screwed in the ball studs and attached the gas spring. Measure 3 times, though. I don't know where the heck I'm going to find another ball stud without buying the whole enchilada again.

Right on!......Just really never seen one mounted before.....Thanks Mark!

McMaster sells just the ball and holder deal on there website.....Sorry for no link....Just do a search.....I have the book at work and saw them in their.

:)

articulate

Expedition Leader
The BN Guy said:
:arabia:

FYI, I recently completed a full review page on that rear bumper too:
www.markdstephens.com/frontier/kma_offroad_multicarrier_bumper.html

I tried to be as thorough as possible, and even included what I think would be good additions - namely rear quarter panel protection and a hinge lock. I've had a fair amount of gripes with the craftsmanship. If anyone happens to read it, please let me know if you think my analysis is fair or not.

thanks

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I read it this morning. You know, when I check to see if I made photo of the day....

I thought it was very fair and balanced given the headaches you endured to mount the thing. I agreed with several assesments you made particularly regarding the swing gate-stop thingy and the tilted angle of the tire carrier.

Considering KMA's less than stellar online reputation, I think you got a great product at a fair price. Also considereing you were one of the first they made, the bugs you experienced will hopefully be worked out for future customers. It held my interest and didn't lose me in the jargon or contain excessive rambling.

You've got a knack for doing great reviews and now follow ups. It's almost a shame because you're a great writer. But to paraphrase the judge in Caddyshack - "The world needs review writers too."

dennisuello

Adventurer
That's a nice truck. :26_7_2:
I wish I bought a Crew Cab, I wouldn't have to sell my D40 now and try to find a new rig.

Dave

Explorer
articulate said:

Is that an Engle 35? Looks like it is the perfect height to fit below the Frontier bed rails.

I'm going to have to print this thread and read through the whole thing now that I'm driving a Nissan.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Yep! That's the Engel 35, and it just barely fits under the bed rails. There's a unit by Waeco that's a similar size, too. By the very nature of fridges needing to keep precious beverages cold, they just don't make them shallow and wide/long. The 35 is a fine size though. We're humans, after all, innately filling the space with which we've been blessed. Those who have the 45 claim they couldn't do it with anything smaller. <roll eyes>

Since once shouldn't tell tales outside of school, I bite my lip on any more updates for just a short period of time . . . thanks for the kind comments, though.

articulate

Expedition Leader
Since the article in Overland Journal came out, I’ve been asked about my rear suspension numerous times. Perhaps I should go into detail here, as it’s not top secret and it isn’t that fabulous.

Here’s the set up:
  • Add-a-leaf spring pack, advertised as 3” of lift
  • Extended shackles, advertised as 1.5” of lift
  • Old Man Emu shocks, N85
  • Firestone Ride-Rite air bags, kit #2403
  • Measurement: 23-3/4” from hub center to fender sheetmetal (essentially unloaded . . . for this truck, anyway.)

up_skirt_rear.jpg

The question: why all this crap?
Originally, the shackles were my first addition to the rear and meant to complement the front lift. Here’s the problem with extended shackles: they negatively affect the spring rate of leaf packs – it’s not conjecture, but fact. You need a nice 90-degree or slightly acute angle of the shackle to the datum line to maintain the spring rate of the packs. But the problem is that you’re changing to longer shackles, but not longer leaf packs. Ultimately, extended shackles are going to work better with longer leaf packs.

In my case, I packed in a lot of weight over the rear axle with gear, and behind it (read Tom Sheppard’s article about loading lashing?) with the heavy bumper tire carrier, and those lift shackles did more harm than good in this scenario.

leaf_3.gif

leaf_pack1.jpg

Now, I should have just purchased some custom leaf packs made by a local spring shop and I'd be living happy. Concerned about the possible heartaches and downtime involved with custom packs, I located the add-a-leaf packs and installed them instead. It’s fine, but not ideal – especially with the longer shackles. AALs (add-a-leaf) force the OE packs with a little more arch thereby creating lift. Neato. Well, that pulls the lower part of the shackle toward the front of the vehicle – again, reducing the spring rate with an obtuse angle (datum-to-shackle), and those springs are already a piece-meal solution. Certainly not designed for all this activity and stress, right?

Here come the air bags, a cork for a hole in my bucket. I like these. Very effective device for managing additional load and for daily driving. Just pack her down with food, water, and equipment for a long trip and shoot a few PSI into the bags. They are limited in down travel, so I wish I could get a larger bag. Nevertheless, I’d rather have good handling over wild suspension articulation any day of the week.

air_bag_t.jpg

air_bags_extension.jpg

I plumbed the two bags together, so they act as one system sharing the air and there’s only one valve. As one side of the axle cycles upward rolling over obstacles, it squeezes the air volume over to the other bag 9as this one stretches out. Stick with me on the theory here: PSI remains the same so this doesn’t diminish handling noticeably. (you’re free to test drive this truck on the trail if you’re curious). We could probably discuss the merits and disadvantages for a while, though.

The shocks I selected are the N85, but they are still a little too short.
emu_shocks_frontier.jpg

While the system works fine, actually pretty well, I like to point out the deficiencies and be aware of them. No suspension is perfect for all situations. But I’ll keep tinkering with it until I feel like I’ve come close.

Keep on.

mauricio_28

Adventurer
Great looking truck, Mark. I have to say it's motivational, if not inspirational. I have to ask: Do you know of a bed rail system such as yours that would allow the tent to be mounted higher off the bed, higher so that when the tent is closed its top is flush or on the same level as the cab ceiling? Installing it higher, but not so high that it would catch air or increase the aerodynamic profile against incoming air as the car moves, would allow more access to the bed. Thanks.

Articulate, love the truck man. I read and researched all of your threads on that on board water system, and will be working on my own soon. Hopefully I can do a write up on it as well. My question I asked over on ClubFrontier (former member, now at FrontierBoard.com) , was if you ever solved the hott water problem, I know you where toying with the idea of an in take heater, did you ever run that dual batterey set up with that high amperage system? or did you find something more effecient?

I was toying with an exhaust copper tube wrap but I dont think it gets hott enough, and wouldnt last even if the truck was running, Mybae Im wrong, but Im looking for alternatives anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior