My new vehicle: 2005 Nissan Frontier

articulate

Expedition Leader
'05 Nissan Frontier: experiments with my wife's vehicle

nissan_frontier_5.jpg

In the spirit of Aaron's "Datrupr's mod thread," here's one for my spanking new 2005 Nissan Frontier. Well, my wife's: what's mine is hers, and what's hers is---well, you know. But I've got a little surprise later on regarding this. :box:

Target:
My objective with this vehicle is to enjoy 3 to 20-day backcountry excursions. If those terms are too mainstream for you hardcore, then I hereby rephrase that to: short expeditions within, but not limited to, the Sonoran and Chihuahuan Deserts of the U.S. and Meh-eeko. I need to be able to haul mountain bikes and associated gear for fun, food, and staying alive. My demands are not entirely unreasonable, are they? My current foray with gainful employment thankfully allows a few weeks a year - in addition to several long weekends - for doing the this stuff that constitutes living (not to be confused with earning a living....).

Still, we will be having some ninos in the coming years so we'll need space to haul a little Markito or Brookita; hence a Crew Cab version.

Primary Modifications:
Within 3 months, I figure the following things are necessities. This list is not in any order of priority and is also shaped by the availability and quality of third-party/aftermarket products; and my harebrained efforts in fabrication. :eek:rngartis
  • 2" receiver in the rear for extraction
  • Rock sliders
  • AT Tires
  • CB and/or 2M radio(s)
  • GPS incorporation
  • Belly protection
Additionally, some items that get me turned on are these:
  • Winch bumper w/ winch
  • Refrigerator
  • Improved (steel) rear bumper
  • Roof Tent
  • Air-locking differentials
  • On-Board Air
  • Custom rear leaf packs
  • High-quality Coil-Overs
  • this list can go on awhile....

I actually find the winch bumper fairly important. ARB claims to have their Bull Bar available in late '06, Jim Shrake (of Shrockworks) says he'll have one in Spring, and TJM will probably be making one in short order, too. There will probably be a lot of things not available for awhile. Your basic "lift kits" are out there, but I'm not interested in a mere lift for the sake of lift. Know what I mean?
Also, it seems 4WD is annoyingly useless without a traction device, from a LSD on up; aside from the fact that it makes me feel incredibly UN-macho to back down a hill. I've driven a few rutted and eroded roads in the San Tan mountains and experienced first-hand the limitation of IFS. As soon as I had a front wheel in the air (which does not take much), I wanted 4WD off altogether. Since only the rear axle is driving anyway, a front tire in the air and spinning seems a grave gamble with the CV shafts and differential. So I was thinking that a locking device in the front is a wee more important than in the rear. Here comes the proverbial can-o-worms: probably have to replace components of the front drivetrain to accept the added/potential stress. Then again, such components are probably not even available.

Since this is not exactly a "wheeling" vehicle I should probably worry about this later.

So, here are some photos of my wife and I taking another couple on a short drive through the San Tan Mountains last weekend. I'm putting myself out here for you boys and gals to scrutinize or emphasize my ideas. Share please!:D Maybe you can enlighten me with something I didn't think of, and I'd be grateful.

I really dig the way this site embraces diversity of vehicles and "mode of mods." So, here's my minor contribution....

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions, 'migos.

Mark

Attachments

• nissan_frontier_3.jpg
    nissan_frontier_3.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 285
  • nissan_frontier_4.jpg
    nissan_frontier_4.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 338
  • nissan_frontier_6.jpg
    nissan_frontier_6.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 306
  • nissan_frontier_7.jpg
    nissan_frontier_7.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:

sacto_patrol

Adventurer
Nice new virgin ride to tear up.

I guy has a new nismo Frontier in my parking garage and I drool all over it every weekday.

Scott Brady

Founder
Mark,

Since you have the Jeep, I would not spend much money on trail mods.

This would be my recommendation:

1. LT 265/75 R16 Tires (load range D minimum)
2. Front and rear recovery points
3. Communications
4. Fridge
5. Sliders: Make great steps and will protect that valuable sheet metal
6. Rear suspension to handle load requirements
7. Some type of shell or storage system: Organization and security are critical.

I have never driven an "expedition" route where a more capable vehicle than yours stock was required. If you have some cash to burn, get the ARB bumper and a winch. It protects the truck from an animal strick, and allows you to winch out of or through a tough spot. The winch is also a valuable road repair tool.

The important this to remember is that reliability, passenger comfort and camping support equipment are way more important than trail capability (given that all of the vehicles in our segment are already high clearance 4wd's)

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Mark, congrats on the new ride. It is very nice. I would not be too worried about the IFS as these components are usually strong enough to handle the loads they were designed for, and you will not be going rock crawling with it so it should be fine. I would stick pretty close to your initial mods list and with Scott's reccommendations. You will vary rarely be lifting a tire enough to cause any serious damage to the CV's if you are careful, and pay close attention to your throttle. If you can not get up, try to take another line, thats what I usually do and it works out fine for me. Now, lets hit the trails and have some fun.:victory:

articulate

Expedition Leader
Thanks fellas. You'll be the first to know of any and all changes...with pics...at this handy thread.

I'm ready to change out the tires, but I have a slight ethical issue with tossing out 5 perfectly new tires. The 265 / 75R 16 tire seems to be a popular choice of size. But a huge part of me wants to be unique...we'll see. CB and GPS mounts are on the way, as I do need to be prepared to participate with the others on the El Camino trip in February.

What are you guys paying for those roof top style tents? I'll have to mount it over the bed, obviously. Are they too heavy to manage if I had a mounting system that was removable? Is it the sort of thing that when you have it mounted you'd better just leave it?

Thanks, also, for the voices of reason. The items on my second list of bullets are really "daydream" things. And I rambled on about the locking aids..... Scott, Aaron - your comments are worth their weight in gold. Gracias.

But storage in a bed is, oddly, somewhat a nightmare. With so much open space (relatively speaking), I imagine I'll be fighting with ratchet straps and rubbermaid canisters for my first few trips until I figure out how best to utilize the bed.

Cheers,
Mark

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
articulate said:
I'm ready to change out the tires, but I have a slight ethical issue with tossing out 5 perfectly new tires.

The stock tires off my Tacoma were sold in a matter off days in my local Thrifty Nickel paper. I think I got 300 for all 5.

Great lookin truck by the way. :)

articulate

Expedition Leader
Ursidae69 said:
The stock tires off my Tacoma were sold in a matter off days in my local Thrifty Nickel paper. I think I got 300 for all 5.

Great lookin truck by the way. :)
HEY! Good point...! :shakin:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
My local Big O Tires took my (brand new) stock 265's in trade towards the purchase of a new set of 285's. Wasn't much of a deal but I didn't have to go through the hassle of storing them or selling them -

.....oh, and nice truck! I've been hoping to see more Nissans representing around here!

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Mark!

Congrats on your new truck!

I'm looking forward to it taking you to some real awesome places so you can take some more fantastic pics and share them with us!

~Mark

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
The ambasador has a new ride!! :clapsmile

This is super exciting! I am really hoping you will take me for a ride in it as I haven't had the pleasure of doing the "bumpies" in a new Nissan yet. So I am stoked to crawl all over it and check it out and go for a ride if you don't mind.

Regarding the lockers - I am unclear on whether your truck has a rear locker or not? And I'm not quite sure why you said you wanted 4wd off altogether with a front wheel in the air? I wouldn't worry about the strength of an unlocked IFS as much as I would about a locked IFS. An unlocked front diff will allow more wheel slip and transfer power to the tire with the least resistance, which in a way will "baby" the front components and make the rear axle do all of the work if the case presents itself. A locked front will indiscriminantly keep power to both wheels, or send all of it to the one with traction, even if the one with contact is bound up tight, and more torque means easier breaks. With a front locker, instead of that tire spinning in the air, the tire with all of the burden of the front of the truck will be forced to "move on" on the sole merits of a single CV axle. It can be dicey, but fun :D

Anyway, congrats to you and the SuperCool Chick!! :beer:

articulate

Expedition Leader
BajaTaco said:
The ambasador has a new ride!! :clapsmile .... :beer:
You crack me up....

All this time I thought you were going to be on the Diablo trip, but I guess not. Perhaps we'll squeeze an adventure in within the next 6 or so weeks so you can test it out.

I sorta rambled on about the 4wd/wheel-in-the-air/locker thing for no good reason. I was over-thinking how to cope with the tendencies of IFS systems to leave a tire "stranded" in the air during technical manuevers. Scott and Aaron made the fine point that the truck is not for super-duper rocky trails, nor will I be encountering them on expedition-style routes.

When you said, "An unlocked front diff will allow more wheel slip and transfer power to the tire with the least resistance, which in a way will 'baby' the front components and make the rear axle do all of the work if the case presents itself" is also why I wanted 4wd off with the wheel in the air: to stop the free wheel from receiving drive power so I could allow the rear end to push me over the obstacle without the worry of setting that spinner on the ground only to break something. Know what I mean?

Aaron said it best: Take another line.
Scott says it another way: Bring the Jeep. :victory:

Anyway, my Frontier does not have a locking differential in the back, either. Sure would be a nice addition, but I'd rather spend the dough on one of them there roof top tents. I'll just take trips with you guys and let you pull me through the tough stuff....:D

Later,
Mark

Almost forgot:
kcowyo said:
My local Big O Tires took my (brand new) stock 265's in trade towards the purchase of a new set of 285's. Wasn't much of a deal but I didn't have to go through the hassle of storing them or selling them -

.....oh, and nice truck! I've been hoping to see more Nissans representing around here!
Your suggestion might make the new tires happen quicker....thanks. I dare you to ask why Senor Taco called me the ambassador... :)

Last edited:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
articulate said:
You crack me up....

All this time I thought you were going to be on the Diablo trip, but I guess not.

Well, according to the ExWest boss-man it looks like I am in. ;) See you (and your Nissan) there. :D

articulate said:
When you said, "An unlocked front diff will allow more wheel slip and transfer power to the tire with the least resistance, which in a way will 'baby' the front components and make the rear axle do all of the work if the case presents itself" is also why I wanted 4wd off with the wheel in the air: to stop the free wheel from receiving drive power so I could allow the rear end to push me over the obstacle without the worry of setting that spinner on the ground only to break something. Know what I mean?

Yep. I see what you mean. BUT, I think it will be a rare instance that you will have a problem with that. The conditions have to be just right, and you likely won't have the pedal mashed to the floor when you feel forward progress happening and the front end coming down. You will be using your best "sonoran finesse"!

If I were presented with a choice between a locker and a fridge/rooftent, I would probably choose the latter too :D But the locker just makes a HUGE difference. It's like going from 2wd to 4wd. Think about it. If you break traction on a wheel in the front and the rear at the same time, you have only one poor wheel pushing your heavy pig of an expedition rig up/past the problem. At least with a rear locker, you will have both rear wheels under power.

articulate said:
Scott and Aaron made the fine point that the truck is not for super-duper rocky trails, nor will I be encountering them on expedition-style routes.

I'm not sure I necessarily agree 100%, but yea - for the majority of trips, I think that is an accurate statement. My detraction comes into play when considering the trips where you are really exploring unknown/undocumented territory. In these cases, you may often come across very tough spots, and you will have to rely on your ability to know your limits. The more capable vehicle you have (as well as driving experience), obviously will have a bearing on how many of those tough spots that you can make it through, and continue towards your objective. You must decide if the obstacle(s) is within your limits. I have experienced this many times over the years, and have had to concede to turning around and backtracking, or continuing forward on foot only, because I knew it was the best judgement call based on my capabilities & the vehicle's capabilities. You can afford more liberties when choosing in the company of fellow adventrers, but when going solo, the decision-making process is more critical. (And I know you go solo!) So - bottom line: IMO, the more capable your rig, the more "iffy" situations that you can feel confident pushing on through.

articulate

Expedition Leader
A chuckling old co-worker told me, "Good judgement comes from experience. And good experience comes from poor judgement." So long as I'm trying to use my fine collection of "experiences" for good judgement, I'll be quite comfy in a roof tent sipping down some vehicle-dependent chilled grog, eh? :)

All of these toys have their place. I've come to this conclusion: Where appropriate sleeping arrangements are high on the priority list, a rear traction device is lower but not off the list; I'll most likely get quality use out of a roof tent. Back in "the day" when we were helping Via Tierra with the OHV classes, I learned and re-learned that the best equipment in a trail rig is a skilled and sensible driver. (which is a constant honing, yes?)

I like to pretend my solo days are over; even though my previous troubles were stricly mechanical failures in the middle of nowhere with no companions (a textbook example of poor judgement) - it had nothing to do with any shortcomings my Jeep may have as far as equipment, such as a locker. If only that were the case: I could have simply turned around and driven to the safety of the nearest watering hole, preferably with live music. :beer:

Thankfully, I have some great tales to tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles