My New Truck Camper

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Don't hate, but it's not a pop-up... :p

Feel free to scroll down for pictures and come back if you feel like reading my rambling.

I just picked up my new 2011 Travel Lite 700. It is a pretty basic hard side camper, wood frame and aluminum siding. The layout is much like a lot of pop-ups really, but I decided that we would benefit more from a hardside with slightly better insulation, and a queen bed that can stay made up (the wife appreciates that a lot). It has a 15 gallon water tank, furnace, single group 31 flooded deep cycle, 6 gallon water heater w/ outside shower, SMEV stove, fantastic fans, 3 way 3cf fridge, storage for portable toilet, no gray tank. Weight is posted as 1315 lbs with water and propane. They were nice enough to place the knee-wall door (on driver's side) behind the wheel well, add the larger battery, upgraded fantastic vents, place the roof vent on the sidewall instead of roof, and a few other things for me.

I do really like how comfortable the interior is, while being so simple. Insulation upgrades are in order. The floor is framed and insulated, but the side walls on the bottom are not, and neither are the bottom of the "wings" over the bed rail. There are 3 sheets of 1" foam insulation boards (r5) ready for me, as well as a 48" wide roll of reflectix. Thankfully I can add a bunch of insulation without guilt as it weights almost nothing. I need to order LED replacements for the lights too. Solar is probably in the future but not soon. I tend to move around a lot so I will likely be installing a battery isolator and 4-6 gauge wiring to charge the camper battery quicker when driving. I figure that is money/weight better spent for now.

The camper width is 86" (not including the jacks), so about on par with most pop-ups as well, aside from FWC. I would say height is a hair over 7'.

My 06 F150 has several mods, most were done before I planned on a hardside. Bilstein 5100s (front 2"+), 3" rear blocks (replaced 2"), 4.56 gears, Detroit locker rear, E-locker front, 35x12.50R18 BFG KM2s, custom tuning, rubber bed mat, and some other things were done before. Recently I installed Firestone air bags, hellwig rear sway bar and torklift frame mounted tie downs. It seems ironic to be adding air bags and a sway bar that will limit articulation, but at least I've got lockers! haha

The truck/camper handled much better than expected. 350 mile drive home on rural highways (60mph) and freeways (70-75mph). Winds were gusting 25-35mph. Surprisingly that didn't prove to be a problem at all. Passing semis was hardly even noticeable. On the decent roads I could pretty well forget that the camper was even back there. I even averaged 12mpg at those speeds!

Anyway that's enough for now...

Sorry this picture is poor quality, it is a cell phone picture from the drive home.
1.jpg

Hopefully I can get a lot of the stickers off as it warms up, they have only been on for a few days so it should be too bad if I try to pull them off.
10.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Despite my best efforts, I made a mess out of the grass getting the camper around back last night after all the rain.
3-1-11a.jpg

3-1-11b.jpg

Riz

A good friend of mine has the same camper on his Tundra. He really likes it and says it handles very well too.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
A good friend of mine has the same camper on his Tundra. He really likes it and says it handles very well too.

That's good to hear! I have talked with a few others that had these on Tundras as well and they seemed to like them.

To be honest I had never heard of the company when I lived in Oregon. I've been working in Kentucky for 2.5 years (can't wait to go back to Oregon and really use this thing) and was surprised to hear someone made slide-in campers in Indiana. I almost never see slide-ins here, except for the rare occasion on the freeway, probably heading to/from Florida. I drove up and toured the factory at the end of December and ordered direct from them. This was really the smallest and lightest hard side I found, it had everything I needed and nothing that I didn't. They didn't fuss too much about the few things that I asked them to change and I liked that. There were a couple of small details that I requested and they missed, but they are things that I can easily do anyway.

Travel Lite also offers a REALLY nice glossy fiberglass exterior wall (not filon crap), but I chose not to order it. The president told me that it would add 100-200 lbs. Any potential future problems would have to be repaired from the inside. The fiberglass sure looked easier to seal up, but the aluminum is lighter, cheaper and should be easier to repair if it needs it.

It kills me to have a new toy sitting in the driveway and not have time to use it or work on it! I guess it's for the best, my wife accepted a new job back in Oregon and I'll be moving her back soon. This should keep me occupied here for some time until I find a decent job back home.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Nice Setup! That thing looks comphy on the inside! Hope you enjoy it. It also looks clean on your truck. Keep the picts coming from your trips. :smiley_drive:

Desert Drifter

Observer
SWEET!!! Good looking outfit!!

Give a holler when you get back to the NW!!!

Are those dog dishes on the bed? What do you have?

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
SWEET!!! Good looking outfit!!

Give a holler when you get back to the NW!!!

Are those dog dishes on the bed? What do you have?

Hah, it took me a minute to figure out what you were looking at. It is the bottom of the table sitting up there. No dogs here. I told her she couldn't have dogs AND kids any time soon. hah!

My wife actually just accepted a job in Eugene, Or. I'll be moving her in a couple of weeks, but I won't be moving until I find a good job that will allow me to move back. Hopefully that doesn't take tooooo long... lol

We'll be passing through Boise but she will probably be in no mood to stop and chat. We will be switching driving duties among some 36 hours of driving. Going for a marathon drive so I can hang out at home as long as possible before I have to come back to KY.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Nice rain gutters. And camper. But I dig the rain gutters, going to have to get some of those.

The little spouts on the rain gutters? Hmm. Those are coming off, actually that is one thing I specifically requested they not install.
I'll deal with cleaning black streaks, but I don't want a small brach or brush ripping those spouts off and taking the sealant with it. I think I will trim them down a little bit if nothing else.

That is the main reason I requested the side vent for the refrigerator, I don't wan anything high up near the edges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz