2016 Ram Rebel Slow build

D45

Explorer
Trail Boss is 15k over priced, like the Rebel

I would venture to say that the Trail Boss merely has a small lift and larger tires. Nothing that special for the premium price tag

jbaucom

Trail Boss is 15k over priced, like the Rebel

I would venture to say that the Trail Boss merely has a small lift and larger tires. Nothing that special for the premium price tag
I see a difference of $2,975 between a 2021 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3/8-speed with the Z71 package and a Trail Boss LT with the 5.3/10-speed. Doesn't seem like a bad deal for a factory 2" lift, 10-speed transmission, and 0.5" larger LT-metric Duratrac tires (compared to the P-metric tires - Probably Goodyear SRAs - on the Z71).

The Rebel is $3,085 more than the cheapest Bighorn with the Off Road package, which is the only way to get a rear locker instead of a limited-slip in a Ram 1500. Considering the larger tires, additional standard features, and exclusive trim features, the Rebel trim isn't a terrible value.

Both of these comparisons are crew cab, 5.5' bed trucks.

jbaucom

What gears come in the Rebel?

33s factory?

Locking diff?
I'm not that well versed in Ram trucks, especially not prior generations, but speaking for the 2019+ Rebels: 3.92 gears, rear e-locker, and LT275/70R18 Duratrac tires.

sdwhip

Observer
I see a difference of $2,975 between a 2021 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3/8-speed with the Z71 package and a Trail Boss LT with the 5.3/10-speed. Doesn't seem like a bad deal for a factory 2" lift, 10-speed transmission, and 0.5" larger LT-metric Duratrac tires (compared to the P-metric tires - Probably Goodyear SRAs - on the Z71).

The Rebel is $3,085 more than the cheapest Bighorn with the Off Road package, which is the only way to get a rear locker instead of a limited-slip in a Ram 1500. Considering the larger tires, additional standard features, and exclusive trim features, the Rebel trim isn't a terrible value.

Both of these comparisons are crew cab, 5.5' bed trucks.

You can get get the electric locker as an add on or it comes with the off-road package. If I were getting a new truck I would want a Rebel but since you can only get the 5'7" bed I would order a crew cab 6'4" bed with off-road package to get the locker and 18 inch wheels. Go with 3.92 gears, the 33 gallon tank and then get a kit to give 2-2.5 inches of lift with some narrow close to 35 inch tires and call it good. I'll most likely skip out on the 5th gen all together though since my 2014 Outdoorsman I bought new is pretty much set up how I want it and I still only have 63k miles on it. The only thing I wish I had was the 6'4" bed but I make do.

jpop8807

Observer
Just to throw this out there, I am going to try to utilize the 2 hotdog tanks above the spare tire for on board air, using a Vair Comp I have kicking around. I pulled the factory comp out and the bracket and if it was so damned cold up here I would probably have it figured out. I have not been able to find online anyone doing this after removing the air ride soo maybe I am barking up the wrong tree?
That sounds like a great idea. I have heard people talk about converting the compressor for the air ride into onboard air but no earthly idea how to do that.

jpop8807

Observer
What gears come in the Rebel?

33s factory?

Locking diff?

Rear gears are a 3.92, which works up to 35's stock due to the gearing of the 8 speed transmission. 33's factory 285 70 17, on the new rebel that changed to 275 something 18's. The first gen like I have does not have the rear locker. The second Gen does have a rear locker. Not sure the gearing on the new one.

jpop8807

Observer
I was looking hard at a 17 rebel until I researched the air suspension issues. I then circled back to the 2019 rebels prior to buying my trail boss. I love the red interiors on the rebel trucks but got a great deal on my trail boss. If you are going to remove the air equipment go ahead and lift it a couple inches. You know you want to...

Finally posting an update. Air suspension after it failed was gone within a month. I just went with the monroe conversion ( I cry a little everytime I look at my truck) It put it at normal 1500 ride height. Which looks like ****** on a rebel. I was orginally looking at the aev 4 inch lift since it was on sale, but then read how it's basically just a fancy spacer lift. So I'm doing the bilstien 6112's in the front, 5100's in the rear for now, as well as adding the icon 1.5 lift spring to the rear. I will be posting pictures soon. Good job man I love the trail boss it's gorgeous and i hear good things about the g80 rear lockers. Kinda like a jack of all trades.

jpop8807

Observer

Anyone familiar with this?

I looked into that. The monroe one is cheaper, and pretty much factory 1500 suspension for 700 bucks. Which is what I did, and it comes with spring seats and everything so if you want to go bigger you have all the stock stuff you need to step it up.

jpop8807

Observer
So this is how it sits with the air ride delete. I haven't measured it, but as you can tell the front is rather low for these 285 75 17's I had switched too. I will be getting the bilstien upgrades done on July 6th stay tuned.

Attachments

• 20220701_153930.jpg
    20220701_153930.jpg
    816.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220701_153942.jpg
    20220701_153942.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 26

jpop8807

Observer
P.S. how do you people add stuff and it goes to the top like with build stuff? Do you just go into your first post and add more pictures or is there a way to pin new posts to the top?

jpop8807

Observer
Dodge should have a factory foam cushion insert for the drivers side seat. If you want to protect the leather some Marathon or Headwater's seat covers would outlast the truck. You can dial in all kinds of front and rear pockets

Sorry have been super MIA. I agree those are nice my GF even suggested some. I just love the look of the Rebel seats. I Finally said F it I'm going to ride it until they wear out and see if I can find a totalled Rebel to steal the seat/cushions out of lol.

jpop8807

Observer
Hello Gents. Sorry for the ungodly long absence work, moving, and flight school has kept me away.

I finally settled on the bilstein 6112's for the front set at 2.8, and the bilstien 5100's in the rear with ICON 1.5 inch lift springs. As some of you remember my air ride failed I deleted it for standard ram 1500 suspension, and it was pitiful. Here are before and after pictures. I highly recommend the 6112's to anyone its a 2.5-inch thick shock and for the money, in other brands, you'll be getting less. Plus they have a warranty.

s-l500.jpg

Before
20220701_153930.jpg

After
20220824_190737.jpg

Last edited:

jpop8807

Observer
Go Rhino RB 20's Not sliders but sit high to the body for my short girlfriend, and protect it fairly well from door dings. As wells as more rock chips. Great quality, can be purchased rhino lined, also the customer service is great. I purchased it through trucks.com I think and it was chipped contacted GORhino they told me to send it to them and they sent out a new one, and it was the tiniest chip ever.

20230104_154543.jpg

20230104_154529.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior