2016 Ram Rebel Slow build

I think all 4th Gen. Rebels came with air suspension, but the 5th Gen. had the option for it and came on base form with a steel spring/standard suspension.

jpop8807

Observer
If you're going to do something high end talk to Jed at Armorolgy. He has experience with they stuff including AEV. It's nice to be able to get tech support on that stuff locally.

Awesome spoke to a shop, so figured I'd save money with the aev being on sale. Nope lol. 1499 aev kit, then another 2k ish in labor due to having to chop into the frame for the new front suspension geometry the use, need 18s or bigger with a certain offset (rebel is on 17), plus it's designed for 35s so all together looking at 4500-6000 ish. They recommended icon, or carli. Both of those you get to keep your wheels, still run 35s, plus the have more up and down travel. They said the only real plus of the aev kit is breakover angle, and the ability to run 37s. With the diff drop you're not gaining much clearance unless you go big on the tires.

jpop8807

Observer
I too have a 16 Rebel. Got it a year and a half ago. I love my truck, it had the air suspension already removed. But I replaced the cheap ready struts the dealer installed with 3" N3 Lift struts from rough country and N3 shocks out back. Also installed the rough country upper arms, so far I love the set up, but its really stiff when the temps hit -30C and lower, gotta love Winterpeg.
I also recently installed the Trakmotive extended travel CV shafts out front just for peace of mind.
I am running 285 75 R17 KO2 on the stock rims which I also love, but I threw on , GASP, 1-1/2 wheel spacers so the tires cleared the upper arms. So far its awesome all the suspension stuff was worked on this past summer between camping trips.
I think the seat thing is a ram thing because mine is shot as well.
The vice design is really good for the winch, but I am cheap so I built my own.
I run a cap and bed slide and I get way more Smiles to the gallon then miles to the gallon.

Enjoy the truck I can't wait to see what you do

So just finished my monroe swap I'm sitting about as high as a regular ram for now, but somehow my mpg did go up usually on the highway after putting on my 285 75r17 nittos I get 16-18 today in getting 19-21 both of those are at 75.

Why did you need spacers? I have plenty of room on mine, on ramrebel.org I saw people using spacers with stock wheels on 315 70 17s. Hey if it works out works.

Ya I definitely want to get that fixed now with normal shocks it's better I think my air ride was low on the passenger side, still want to get that fixed. I wish our trucks came with the butt cooler like the Laramie lol.

I love that do you have a build thread I can follow or anything on here?

jpop8807

Observer
So the air bags are able to be deleted and removed without affecting anything or causing any problems?

4 corner air bags or?

Do all Rebel trucks come with air bags or is it an option?

Yes, monroe makes a complete factory delete kit its not really bags but air shocks the system has been known to fail in the cold, I didn't know this until after it happened to me. 700 bucks gets you a factory ram suspension super easy swap minus so the rusted bolts. It includes all the instructions including what fuses to pull. You get the service air suspension immediately warning when you first turn on the truck but that's it, you can buy a certain obd reader to delete the feature completely.

jpop8807

Observer
There are companys selling airbag delete kits. But its a ready strut for the front and springs for the back, my truck still had the original Bilstein's on the back. The complicated parts is you need ALFAOBD to be able to cancel the air ride option in the computer or it gives alarms and lights on the dash, hell mine was still trying to add air the bags that were no longer there.

Do you have the alphaobd? I don't want to buy one lol, I'll pay you to rent it if you have one lol.

jpop8807

Observer
I think all 4th Gen. Rebels came with air suspension, but the 5th Gen. had the option for it and came on base form with a steel spring/standard suspension.

Exactly I think on the 5th for the latest year's they don't even offer it anymore. It's a really cool feature when it works lol. I loved being able to show it off. But now I deleted it and am super happy to have reliability.

It’s really interesting the options and configurations the 5th Gen Rebel comes in. 2WD, 4WD, V6, V8, eTorque, EcoDiesel. Air suspension. Auto 4WD as an option. And then all the traditional Ram packages.

jpop8807

Observer
It’s really interesting the options and configurations the 5th Gen Rebel comes in. 2WD, 4WD, V6, V8, eTorque, EcoDiesel. Air suspension. Auto 4WD as an option. And then all the traditional Ram packages.

I did not know all that. My gen ran doesn't have the auto 4wd something about the split of the center diff being better for off roading, but no capable of 4wd auto. I think if I ever get hit by a semi and don't die I would do the 5th gen etorque heard nothing but good things about it. I hear the eco is nice too great gas mileage.

mekcanix

Camper
Hi,
Well first to answer is that the rough country arms seem to rub the sidewall at full droop with stock wheels. thats why I am running spacers. It may have to do with the 3 inch lift
Second I had a local guy up here in winnipeg delete the air suspension from the options list for me

jpop8807

Observer
Hi,
Well first to answer is that the rough country arms seem to rub the sidewall at full droop with stock wheels. thats why I am running spacers. It may have to do with the 3 inch lift
Second I had a local guy up here in winnipeg delete the air suspension from the options list for me

Oh that makes sense, I feel that's really popular where it live. On ramrebel.org most everyone does that swap. I'm really leaning towards the icon stage 2 for now. But don't think I'll go higher then maybe 2.5 front adjustment. I got the monroe swap done it was actually really easy. But I'm sitting I would say in aero mode lol.

mekcanix

Camper
Just to throw this out there, I am going to try to utilize the 2 hotdog tanks above the spare tire for on board air, using a Vair Comp I have kicking around. I pulled the factory comp out and the bracket and if it was so damned cold up here I would probably have it figured out. I have not been able to find online anyone doing this after removing the air ride soo maybe I am barking up the wrong tree?

mekcanix

Camper
i think the gen 5 rebels have a locking rear diff. I know the gen 4 like mine come with 3.96 gears and 33's and some type of limited slip diff out back If I can figure out a good enough reason I may swap out the rear for a better unit. There is nothing available for the front diff. The front diffs as I understand and have been told are not really serviceable. The ring gear is welded to the carrier in the front diff and the inner shafts have only recently been available to be purchased

N.Penley

I was looking hard at a 17 rebel until I researched the air suspension issues. I then circled back to the 2019 rebels prior to buying my trail boss. I love the red interiors on the rebel trucks but got a great deal on my trail boss. If you are going to remove the air equipment go ahead and lift it a couple inches. You know you want to...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles