My new to me Disco II

Stamos

After much looking for a clean RR Classic to no avail I gave up hope and stopped looking for a decent RR. I have had 6 Discos in the past and had decent luck with most of them so I started looking for a clean example of a Disco 1. Living on the East Coast finding a rust free Disco is nearly impossible. So after much looking I gave up hope again. Months later, I was looking at Craigslist and stumbled upon my latest acquisition...a 2000 Disco II in Kent Green. It already had some off road bits on it along with a new OME lift. It will primarily be used for weekend camping/dog transport duties and to take some of the abuse away from the 2010 LR4 we currently use for camping.
IMG_8149.jpg
IMG_1927.jpg

Since my purchase, I have cleaned it to my standards and replaced the rear bumper to match the front.
IMG_2909.jpg

Oh yeah, while I'm working on the "new" LR my other project is screaming for me to complete it as well...
Parking Lot.jpg
GN V 2.0.jpg

3ics

Great looking collection! I am currently looking at Discos and since you mentioned owning six of them, what can you tell me about frame rust? I found a well maintained one, but only disclosed issue is rust on the frame after the rear axle.

Stamos

Great looking collection! I am currently looking at Discos and since you mentioned owning six of them, what can you tell me about frame rust? I found a well maintained one, but only disclosed issue is rust on the frame after the rear axle.

The Disco I versions will rust in the rear arches, rockers and cargo area primarily. The Disco II versions rust in those area less, but they will rust in the rear portion of the frame after the axle for sure. Seeing as you are in NJ (as I am) take great care to look for rust in those areas especially if you are looking at Discos that have lived their life here in the NE. The DII I just bought has some rust in the rear portion of the frame rails, but much less than I have seen for vehicles in this area. At some point in time I will have the rear sections cut out and replaced.

As a preventative I have started to coat all exposed metal on the underside with a good rust stopper/inhibitor. I plan on driving this "new" one in the winter and off road every so often so keeping extra rust at bay is paramount to me.

3ics

Stamos - thank you for the feedback. So it doesn't sound terminal to find a Disco II like this.. The owner kept it well maintained and everything works so it's tempting.

Op - sorry, I didn't mean to high jack your thread..

Nice D2 I have a 2001 in the same color everyone says it's a rare color but right after a bought mine
3 others went up for sale with the Kent Green color .image.jpeg

Huh that's interesting, and now that you mention it , I don't think I've seen a D2 in the UK in that color either .

I used to live in the North West too. I lived 3 miles from Carnforth Lancashire .
And my wife is from outside of Melton Mowbrey in Leicestershire.
Why in the NW are you from ?

I will research the Kent Green color I'm interested as well ......

01 D2
97 D1
94 RRC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles