My New Fuso FGB71 All Terrain Warriors "Universal Warrior" Slide on Mega Camper

Karl of Oz

Observer
My New Fuso FGB71 All Terrain Warriors "Universal Warrior" Slide on Mega Camper

Hi all,

I'm new to all this forum stuff and posted this yesterday "somewhere" on the forum site, but it probably should be posted here so here goes (again!)....
I thought I'd share my excitement!..... After lots of dreaming and months of planning I ended up buying a Fuso FGB71 4X4 Dual cab truck. I chose this as a replacement for my HJ-75 Active Camper as it provides a great platform for building a large slide on camper (ok its really a motorhome) and can legally carry weight above 4500 kg up to 6500 kg GVM. No more worries being overloaded!
I came up with a design based on my old camper and newer ones on the market. After looking at several suppliers, I was lucky enough to discover that All Terrain Warriors in Queensland (who build and modify large mining vehicles and produce the "Global Warrior") have started a project to build camper/motorhomes to order and could turn it into reality. They produced CAD drawings for me and over several versions came up with what I think is the ultimate!
So in I plunged and my brand new truck (bought from a very good dealer in Coffs Harbour - K & J Trucks) was delivered direct to them and they have modified it with their full off road kit such as locking front diff, 200 litre fuel tank, parabolic springs, shocks, big single wheel conversion, raised diff and gearbox breathers and a whole host of other refinements.
I visited my truck (and ATW) in February and went through all the plans. They are building a special sprung tray that will take care of chassis flex and protect the body of the motorhome, and very soon will be starting to build the camper come motor home body.
It will have an over the cabin King sized bed, a long "lounge" seat long enough to take a nap on, the opposing side is a bit shorter as we had to find a place to fit my National Luna freezer and also a new fridge. The door entrance will double as a shower recess and there will be an adjoining toilet that opens up to form a very big area. My "better half" insisted we fit a vanity unit here to house the 47 varieties of fruit flavoured shampoo and conditioners she uses (as well as my toothbrush). The area between the lounge and the entrance is an "L" shaped kitchen that is quite big housing a full gas oven, sink, cupboards and overhead cupboards. The living area roof will pop up driven by electric actuators. There will be two large under seat storage areas and several external lockers that are very large and 2 spare wheels.
The beauty of this design is that it can come off easily allowing you to drive around, put the boat in or whatever, and also still have the truck to drive around when at home with a tray and sides. The "body" will lift off the vehicle tray by means of electrical wind up legs each capable of lifting about a tonne. I wanted these as these days both of us have "dodgy shoulders" so don't want to be winding handles!
It will take a few months before it is ready, I can hardly wait. I'm already planning my first "expedition" in it (ok not too serious, just a spot of fishing in the Gulf of Carpentaria) for September.
I will try and add in a few of the drawings to give you all an idea of what it will look like if I can work out how to do it (the file is too big at present). I hope I have managed to put in some pictures in of the truck after ATW did their thing to it. I will add more as it is built.

IMG_1941R.jpgIMG_1890R.jpgIMG_1892R.jpgIMG_1897R.jpgIMG_1905R.jpgIMG_1934R.jpgIMG_1931R.jpg

Attachments

• ATW MITSUBISHI FUSO CONCEPT X1.doc
    284.5 KB · Views: 178
  • ATW MITSUBISHI FUSO CONCEPT X2.doc
    254 KB · Views: 241
  • ATW MITSUBISHI FUSO CONCEPT X3.doc
    318 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Karl ..... Wow you didn't waste any time at all working out how to shift the thread over and post pics. Well done. I see you've got your Arizona tee shirt on..... You'll slot right in here . Welcome.
The initial drawings I saw of your camper body looked perfect for the type of fishing trips you're planning.

Regards John

Last edited:

Karl of Oz

Observer
Thanks John!
It's been a bugger to try and downsize the latest drawings, but I think I've managed to do that for two of them, a perspective view and a plan view. I will try and upload them now.

Karl of Oz

Observer
Hi Ski Freak, I have read your story, impressive. I hadn't noticed the "left hand drive" until you mentioned it. But maybe those from the US will take this up!

Lwing

Awesome, congratulations.. New to the Misubishi world, so couple questions, I see your door sill is 4' in the air, how do you guys get in these things?
With the double cab, how hard is maintainance, even checking fluids is this easily done?
Thanks

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi Karl
It all looks so clean and new. Must be a nice feeling. Enjoy the build, I am sure you will be outback before you know it.
Regards
Steve

Fugly

Adventurer
Kari,

Mate the new truck and the concept drawings ....
Look bloody fantastic enjoy the build ...
Enjoy the fishing trip even more......

Cheers Fugly

Karl of Oz

Observer
Hi there....yes getting into it was an issue. Originally we were going to use a simple ladder but I am used to steps (in my old 'cruiser) so we have gone for these nice concentina type ones. This will make for a safer entry (and hopefully a slower exit) after a long island iced tea. I will add in a photo I took at a local show recently of one similar. The web site for these is: http://www.torklift.com.au/index.php/products1/steps-handrails/glowstep-series/safe-step. It may be that I will have to get the hand rails to go with it. The intention is that these steps will be kept in an easily accessible locker or cage on the outside.

As far as accessing the engine etc, on the dual cabs this is done via a hatch under the driver's seat. While likely not to be as accessible as the single cab
(which lifts open) I'm reasonably sure Fuso would make it accessible enough for servicing. When I bought the truck it was the last one in the country, but the dealers didnt have one to look at (it was actually on the docks pre-dealer delivery) it suited what I wanted so I just went for it!
IMG_2078R.jpg

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I switched over to the Torklift steps a few years ago and have been well pleased. I just finished adding on their "All Terrain Landing Gear", which I also really like.

y0vyMZo.jpg

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
Warning: old people will grab onto anything nearby (people, or the door itself) on their way up the stairs because they feel uneasy as the stairs flex. A few times i've felt like they were going to pull the door off its hinges.
I'd recommend some sort of hand rail if you're likely to have old folk using them

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
The Torklift steps really don't flex - but it's good to have a grab handle. Torklift makes a fancy setup that works really well, but I just have a standard folding grab handle that does the trick.

Ne3ezoQ.jpg

Karl of Oz

Observer
Thanks Pugs, I like that idea. It looks a bit simpler than the Torklift rails. And yes I walked up the steps in the photos I put up and they didn't flex at all (I'm no lightweight).

I hope to have some more photos of my truck build soon as it goes along......

Karl of Oz

Observer
I have just ordered a "Low Height Clearance Collision Avoidance System" from http://giraffeg4.com/ which I intend to fit to the new "Mega Camper" Fuso when it is completed. When I get it, I will try it out first on my old camper. Has anyone out there had experience with these units?

Karl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles