My new candle lanterns

I tend to prefer the more old style, "Classic Kit" sort of camping gear, so when I was looking for some more camp lighting recently, I bought 4 UCO brass candle lanterns and 4 Bushlite candle lanterns from South Africa. Now that they have all arrived, I greatly prefer my new Bushlites! They're both nice, but the Bushlites seem to be made of heavier duty brass and are a little larger overall in size. The flame of the Bushlites is easily twice as tall and much brighter than the UCO's and they use ordinary candles instead of the proprietary candles like UCO does.

I ordered the Bushlites from the actual lady who owns the company and my purchase went very well. They seem to be just the sort of Classic Kit that has been used on safari for many years in Africa and they are built robust enough to take everything that comes their way.

http://www.bushlite.co.za/

I paid a little extra for the airmail delivery and they arrived in a little over a week, so that was really worth it for me. I don't know how to attach an image, so just go to the site or Google it, but I completely recommend the Bushlite candle lantern. How common are they here and do very many of you use them?

The Bushlites are R370 South African Rands or about $37 or so each. The conversion rate is apparently about 10 Rands per dollar. Then I got the deluxe bags also at about $13 or so each. The lady who owns the company indicated that she is going to now accept PayPal to make it easier for us to buy these really cool lanterns.

I should have mentioned that the aluminum version are a little lower priced, at about $29, or so each. It depends on what look you're going for and what all you already have.

NC06LJ

Adventurer
Love em!

Ive been keeping 2 of these in my kit for a while now. They don't take up any space and put off a good amount of light. Last time I hung them off the corners of my awing where we cook and they provide plenty of light. You wont be disappointed, just make sure you get a 3 pack of spare candles :)

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I like that. I have tried traveling with an oil lantern, which I greatly prefer to a noisy Coleman-style lantern, but have had difficulty keeping the oil from spilling during transport. A candle-based lantern would fix that little problem.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I used candles for years until I moved to Arizona. They melt into a mess when stored here. Is there a candle made for this extreme heat environment? There is nothing like the soft light they provide and they knock the chill off your hands or out of a tent if needed.

Apparently, "Mozzie" is South African slang for mosquito, therefore a "Mozzie Clip" is a little metal stand that clips onto the top of the Bushlite lantern and you lay a "Mozzie Pad" on the clip. The Mozzie Pad then heats up from the heat of the candle flame and gives off a light chemical smoke that repels mosquitoes.

It's quite a bit like those insect repellent coils that you light to keeps bugs away from a back yard barbeque, except that it comes in a little 3/4" square pad instead of a coil. I haven't tried my Mozzie clip and pad yet, but they're supposed to really work.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Apparently, "Mozzie" is South African slang for mosquito, therefore a "Mozzie Clip" is a little metal stand that clips onto the top of the Bushlite lantern and you lay a "Mozzie Pad" on the clip. The Mozzie Pad then heats up from the heat of the candle flame and gives off a light chemical smoke that repels mosquitoes.

It's quite a bit like those insect repellent coils that you light to keeps bugs away from a back yard barbeque, except that it comes in a little 3/4" square pad instead of a coil. I haven't tried my Mozzie clip and pad yet, but they're supposed to really work.
It could use some type of non FDA approved chemical that actually works. I'm looking at high melting point wax candles or even mixing up wax for a few. Do you know the diameter and about how long the candle needs to be? All of mine are a big blob.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I've used UCO and similar styled lanterns for decades now. I've seen them made from brass (UCO), and aluminum. Since they can be had locally for as little as $11 or so, I'd have to be mightily convinced of the superiority of the Bushlites before I paid more than 3x as much!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles