My new Alu-Cab Expedition 3 Tent and Shadow Awning!

Basil.

Hey All,

I've noticed theres a lot of interest in the Alu-Cab gear! So here are some photos of my new setup! Just installed it last night.

I'll be posting a video on my Instagram tomorrow! Go give me a follow to make sure you don't miss it, @BasilLynch

_BAL2509 by Basil Lynch, on Flickr
_BAL2519 by Basil Lynch, on Flickr
_BAL2525 by Basil Lynch, on Flickr
_BAL2526 by Basil Lynch, on Flickr
_BAL2529 by Basil Lynch, on Flickr
_BAL2530 by Basil Lynch, on Flickr
_BAL2535 by Basil Lynch, on Flickr

Basil.

Heres a video of the opening process! Super fast.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/Basillynchphotography/videos/1078545695591229/[/video]

bigskypylot

Explorer
Nice. Just saw your video over on IG. Looks like you have a lot of real estate to put up some solar power if you wanted.

Happykamper

Explorer
Basil that is great!!! Checked out your video ...very JEALOUS !!!! Look at that low profile and ease of setup! Makes me want to throw the RTT's on the ground and order one of these! By the way the FJ looks clean and love the bandaid !!

Basil.

Hey all!

Thanks for the interest. So far I love the combo, but I don't have too much input on the tent yet. I haven't spent a single night in it yet.

The awning on the other hand is the most amazing thing I've purchased for the FJ, setup is seconds and you have 270 degrees of shade. Worth every penny.

I'll do a review on the awning and tent once I get some more time with them, maybe I'll talk with Chris and see if he wants a field test from the combo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

camodog

Adventurer
Hey all!

Thanks for the interest. So far I love the combo, but I don't have too much input on the tent yet. I haven't spent a single night in it yet.

The awning on the other hand is the most amazing thing I've purchased for the FJ, setup is seconds and you have 270 degrees of shade. Worth every penny.

I'll do a review on the awning and tent once I get some more time with them, maybe I'll talk with Chris and see if he wants a field test from the combo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear how much you love the awning. My plan is to get one early next month. My only concern is the height of the awning while mounted to the roofrack. I live in a house that is 113 years old and the garage door is not very tall. How much taller is the awning than your roofrack while mounted and closed?

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Glad to hear how much you love the awning. My plan is to get one early next month. My only concern is the height of the awning while mounted to the roofrack. I live in a house that is 113 years old and the garage door is not very tall. How much taller is the awning than your roofrack while mounted and closed?

What type of rack are you running? I can give you a hand with the Alu-Cab specs.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
bajarack flat rack with mesh floor.

http://www.bajarack.com/?id=racks_list_inside&idRack=54

As long as the awning height isnt above 3.5" above the rack while mounted and all closed up I should be ok. If it does, then I wont be able to fit in the garage with my lift and tires.

Damn, the only solution for that rack is the FourTrek mounts but your rack is so close to the roof that I do not think you could operate the awning.

The Typical Baja Rack awning mounts for the 3" & 5" racks are a breeze for mounting the Shadow Awn http://www.bajarack.com/?id=accessories_details&idAccessories=12&idGallery=102 but your flat rack will not allow this mount to work.

camodog

Adventurer
You could do as I did and mount the awning (Foxwing in my case) with ballast clamps and some flat stock.
Works great and is solid as a rock.

The Baja Rack outer tube is 1" od.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all14178/overview/

thanks for the pictures. I will need to cut some of the mesh floor to get to the outer tubes for the mounts to fit. That is not a big deal. Is your rack the flat rack without mesh floor?

Dang it Rino, I was really hoping that this will work with my rack. I will need to do some more measuring and see what I can do. As much as I like the flatrack, it is becoming quite a pita to get my accessories to mount to it.

apollo

rino,

i put in a call to you earlier in the week, and haven't yet had the opportunity to return your voicemail...i'm curious if you might have any photos or link to photos of the frontrunner 'bars only' rack you mentioned that you sometimes pair with the alu-cab?

thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior