My New (AEV) American Expedition Vehicles Jeep!!

brushogger

Explorer
I feel ya! No love lost here! Couldn't be happier- As time goes by and I realize I loved the land rovers that ended in 2004, ... I am comfortable in my decision.
You'll love the JKU.
D

ps: My sister's husband drives an 04 disco and they just put a new motor in his, and she drives an 04 disco, ... and just found out her head gasket is about to blow as well. Crazy!

The other problem is the resale value on these things drops so fast it if you have a loan, its very easy to end up way upside down on these. The resale on Jeeps and Toyotas is incredible. I still see lots of '08 JKU rubis selling for close to what they were new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Brushogger- You are so right. Was the same case 6 months ago as well.
It is also the same with demand verses availability- as there seems to be often a wait situation on new JK's

D

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Jeep dealers are becoming less and less inclined to happily repair things when a Jeep is modded.

When I bought my first JK it came nice and new from the dealer with less than 100 miles lifted and with 35's. When I brought it back from some various problems I was always questioned about the lift and tires THEY had installed! I think they just look for a quick escape out of paying for work and hope the person with the problem isn't smart enough to fight them.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I made sure to get in writing that everything - even the winch ... is included in the warranty. If it came on the truck new ... it is covered.
D

Septu

Explorer
Jeep dealers are becoming less and less inclined to happily repair things when a Jeep is modded.

Signed the papers on my 2012 Rubi today. When I asked about mods, they said as long as they do the install work, they'll insure that there's no issues with the warranty. No clue how true that is, however this dealer has been VERY mod friendly on my old JK, so I have no issues with giving them the install business (as well as some service business), if it insures that they'll continue to be mod friendly.

I didn't get anything in writing (maybe I should have?) ... but as I said, things have been great in the past, and do not suspect that that should change going forward.

cbboard

Hey Dendy!, I may be moving over to the dark side also. My '04 Disco just ate a head gasket, ( I'm hoping that's all it is) and I'm tired of constantly having to watch the temp gauge. We love the rover, but The 2012 Rubicon Unlimited with 21 mpg (I know, I know...) on regular gas will save almost half on my fuel bill. My insurance rate also will drop by half AND I get a warranty on a vehicle that actually has dealerships in most towns. My wife and I do a lot of exploring alone, and with this current breakdown, she is kinda scared to hit the sticks in the rover.

we just sold our '03 D2 for 2012 JKUR and are really enjoying it. we still have an LR3. i see you are in norman. we are moving to OKC in june. maybe we'll run into ya.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Signed the papers on my 2012 Rubi today. When I asked about mods, they said as long as they do the install work, they'll insure that there's no issues with the warranty. No clue how true that is, however this dealer has been VERY mod friendly on my old JK, so I have no issues with giving them the install business (as well as some service business), if it insures that they'll continue to be mod friendly.

I didn't get anything in writing (maybe I should have?) ... but as I said, things have been great in the past, and do not suspect that that should change going forward.
An individual dealer can warranty anything they want. A Jeep factory warranty is just for Jeep factory parts. And an aftermarket warranty would be for their parts and the systems they affect --- if it's a good aftermarket company.
I had this talk with a dealer in Marietta that likes to install Fortec lifts on their new stock; they'll warranty the Jeeps but the dealer in Canton will send you packing back to Marietta.

I think that if Dendy looks closely at his warranty he'll see that it's from AEV or the dealer. I'd be curious to see how well it would be received at a non-AEV Jeep dealership if something broke like a driveshaft.
Since AEV works so closely with MOPAR/Jeep, they might have a deal for their warranty to be honored at dealers. Or maybe not.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
"Since AEV works so closely with MOPAR/Jeep, they might have a deal for their warranty to be honored at dealers"

What you said!
Thanks
D

brushogger

Explorer
we just sold our '03 D2 for 2012 JKUR and are really enjoying it. we still have an LR3. i see you are in norman. we are moving to OKC in june. maybe we'll run into ya.

Are you the person that posted on the Wrangler Forum about ordering from Bob Moore? If so, you and Dendy are the inspiration for this idea. When you get back to OKC, PM us. There's not a whole lot of places to go locally, but some great spots within 2-3 hours. I have already talked to one dealership, and after I get the Rover fixed, I'll be talking to a couple more. I'm leaning towards Bob Moore since they also have a Land Rover dealership in Edmond, I might get a better trade from them.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Brushogger: Certainly my experience is my perspective and only what I have found as what has worked out for me.
Are there times that I miss the rover ... sure ... I wouldn't be human if I didn't, because my love for rovers went on for 14 years.

But just recently, I returned from a 2 week plus trip (via plane) and when I arrived back home, it was nice to get in the Jeep and it crank right up. I have NEVER owned a 2004 (or earlier) Land Rover that could sit for two weeks and still crank! They ALL would lose their battery after sitting for a two week period. Jumper cables became my friend!

You have to make the best decision for your situation, ... but I am glad you are at least stimulated to think carefully through your own situation via the things you have read here.

I have always heard it better to walk through a mine-field in the foot steps of someone that just successfully navigated the same mine-field! :)

D

AsltPnr54

IMG_3504.jpg

Smittybilt G.E.A.R seat back storage

D

I got the G.E.A.R. storage too but it attaches with velcro straps and does not fit the JK seats that well. I like the lace up style much better. Where did you order it from or is it a personal modification?

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Actually these are the cheaper style and they are listed as the "universal" style.
I traded the lace-ups back in because they did not include the "sit on" portion which I wanted. They also did not include as much of a robust assortment of storage pouches.
I can take a picture if you like, as they are not a "perfect" fit, but I worked it out so that they look great.

Thanks
Dendy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94