My New 2005 LL Bean Outback Adventure Rig

Jeff H

Adventurer
I sold my Tacoma to help get out of debt and was left with a decent amount to buy a cash vehicle. I stumbled upon a 2005 LL Bean Outback with the H6 with 165k which I got for $3500. It has an oil leak and could use a little TLC but overall seemed like a solid car.

My overall plan for it is to get it running 100% and make it reliable, lift it, add some auxiliary lighting, and actually get out to explore. Nothing crazy.

Since this weekend is supposed to be in the 50s I am going to find the oil leak and clean up all of the grounds.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
H6 is a nice engine. Very few issues. Best used Subie to purchase due to better care typically and more durable engine etc. The timing chain tensioner is a known thing to replace by a experienced subaru person given its not hard to screw up the new tensioner compressing it to quickly during install.

Oil leak could be an o ring on the oil pump common issue 50cent part.

Jeff H

Adventurer
Thanks guys! I really like the color combination as well. The paint is surprising nice for a car that spent its life in the rust belt. I was able to work on it some this weekend. I replaced the oil cooler o-ring, the oil, and the coolant.

That took care of some of the leak but it's also leaking from the passenger side valve cover. The lower bolts are stripped so that should be fun to fix. I also found both front cv boots were ripped which is probably the shake on acceleration I've been experiencing. I ordered a Subaru boot kit and will rebuild the CVs.

I'm going to be going down the list of items that need immediate attention and then work on some of the little issues before I start modifying it.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Reboot is a good idea as long as they arent after market axles lots of fit issues with the after market stuff.

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
If I remember my research correctly, that could have the first gen VDC and the LSD, which were on the 3.0R as well. Regardless, that's a good purchase. Since that's the official car of the PacNW, that would have been a couple grand more even with the leak.

Jeff H

Adventurer
If I remember my research correctly, that could have the first gen VDC and the LSD, which were on the 3.0R as well. Regardless, that's a good purchase. Since that's the official car of the PacNW, that would have been a couple grand more even with the leak.

It does have the limited slip but not the VDC. I'm pretty happy with the purchase and once I get the issues squared away it should be pretty solid! Outback's and Subarus in general are pretty common in NW PA. The other day I went on a hike and four out of five cars in the lot were Subarus!

Jeff H

Adventurer
Awesome Outback! I love that model year, cool to see the L.L. Bean edition. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks! I'll be sure to post up more as I fix it up and start the mod list.

My boot kits arrived and I picked up a spare CV shaft to rebuild. This way I have a spare ready to go. I wrote up a list of things I need to address on the car so far:

-Rebuild front CVs
-Replace passenger side valve cover gasket and fix stripped bolt holes
-Figure out the P0420 code. Yesterday it started misfiring on startup after it was warm out.
-It has a minor exhaust leak. May replace with the Nameless axleback or custom Magnaflows.

Once I fix those issues I'm planning to do the following mods:

-Primitive Skid Plate
-Gorilla 1" Lift Spacers
-Not sure on wheels/tires yet. I may remove the studs and run my Winterforce all year round.

Last edited:

Jeff H

Adventurer
I started tearing down the used CV I picked up. Got it all cleaned up and just need to reassemble it.

Also, I installed a pair of Thule Hull-A-Port 834 racks for our future kayak purchases. Currently researching decent starter kayaks for the wife and I.

Hodaka

Adventurer
Fix your exhaust leak first if it is before or near the cats. That could be the cause of your p0420.

ErockinTaco

Nice Outback! Love that color
I'm actually in a similar position, I have a Tacoma that I'm making payments on but I have enough equity that I could sell it and buy something cheaper for cash. It kills me to even think about selling my Taco but it seems to make financial sense with student loan payments coming in the future.
I might even get an Outback as well but I change my mind daily on what I would replace my Taco with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior