My new 1990 HDJ81, Turbo Diesel

meafordmike

Adventurer
I hate to whine so much but I will regardless. I did download the manuals (FSM) a few days ago. Is there a Cole’s notes version, there is a lot of technical info in them.
I broke the Alt tensioning bolt off tonight trying to tighten it; I will pick up a bolt a Canadian tire soon. I started to rip out the Sub woofer and amplifier. I will open up the dash again on the weekend. I hope to remove all aftermarket stuff and try to get only the deck and speakers to work. I hope that this will solve some of my electrical problems. I tried to get the old Alternator rebuilt, but he wanted 600$!! So I will continue to use the Tercel one that I installed last week, but I fear that is part of my problem with the lights on my dash. I have checked connecters at the Alt, because I have heard a bad connection here will cause the dash warning lights, but with dielectric grease and cleaning still no joy. My to do list seems to keep growing
Sort out electrical problems!!!
1) BEB (ordered and waiting to install) If I get the courage.
2) Tighten/ replace wheel bearings
3) Axle seals
4) Timing Belt
5) Alignment, before I mount my BFG's.
6) Roof rack
7) Build rear cargo storage/ sleeping area
8) Install CB and wire for ARB Fridge

meafordmike

Adventurer
Looking forward to seeing this on UPoverland(?)
I hope to see you again as well!
We are signed up and looking forward to it, I hope to have the new HDJ81 trail ready by then. Looking to make it as reliable as the Tacoma, I will not have a lift installed by then, but should be fine in Land Cruiser stock form. I must work out all these little bugs first and take it on a few shakedown runs.

timbercruiser

Adventurer
I hope to see you again as well!
We are signed up and looking forward to it, I hope to have the new HDJ81 trail ready by then. Looking to make it as reliable as the Tacoma, I will not have a lift installed by then, but should be fine in Land Cruiser stock form. I must work out all these little bugs first and take it on a few shakedown runs.

Great!! BUt you better keep it locked or it may disappear:smiley_drive:

meafordmike

Adventurer
A few more photo's, it looks like my 6 year old daughter smeared something on my Camera!
Getting hand brake working for safety inspection, I am sure it was the first time it was used in 21 years!
IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

I built a sleeping platform again like the Tacoma's
IMG_1688.jpg

4 ft long and then fold the rear seats flat for 2 more ft.
IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1689.jpg

At home with the other Toyota's
IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

Does anyone have some old rain gutter mount cross bars? I am looking to mount my roof basket but can't find any bars cheap. I am not speading 1000$ on a ARB roof rack yet.

meafordmike

Adventurer
I installed a new alternator today; it was a 140amp high output Tercel Alt. All my dash light work properly again :), I still have no radio/ dome or clock, but I figure after a good drive, it should give it a good charge.

I also installed my Tacoma's old offroad tires and rims (BFG All Terrain KO) at 265/75 16 on FJ rims. gave it a slight lift and looks better, :D I still need to get an alignment soon, so I don't burn the rubber off my good tires.

HDJ81LandCruiser001.jpg

HDJ81LandCruiser005.jpg

meafordmike

Adventurer
A little update:
Completed front axle service, new bearings, and seals.
Leaking water in from somewhere, so I chalked/ water sealed all windows and rain gutters.
New Alternator, and lots of little things!
Things still to fix:
hunt down electrical gremlins, I still have no radio or dome lights. (except when it pours down rain) Because water is soaking the carpet I know its messing with the electronics.
I still have to pull the oil pan and replace the big end bearings, I have all the parts just need the courage.
Change the fuel filter (need large filter remover) and replace rear diff oil and transfer case oil.
I would love to get a 2 1/2 inch OME lift, but money will be the determining factor here.
Needs and alignment.
Well some new photo's: posing on the lawn and a little mud/ and water today (this is what I got the Land Cruiser for :D )
IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG-20110501-00007.jpg

IMG-20110501-00008.jpg

IMG-20110501-00005.jpg

meafordmike

Adventurer
Started the BEB's tonight! It's going well so far; I removed the stiffening brackets and removed all oil pan bolts/nuts. I started to use a putty type knife to remove the FIPG but ran out of light and it started raining. It's not my DD, so it can sit in my driveway a few days till I get back to it.
The Cruiser is coming along with all fluids changed and front axle service complete.

I have a question for the great Cruiser minds out there to ponder while I complete the BEB's: I still have electrical problems, which I will try to explain!
I have not had radio; dome lights; clock; since 3 days after I got the truck. I know they are all on the dome fuse and the fuse is good, with good power going to it. There is an after market amp under the Pass seat which gets power from the battery into after market fuse to amp (getting good power)
All above mentioned devices were working a little while raining (I was getting water in rear and Pass side panels). I have since fixed all leaks with lots of caulking, and now never get radio and stuff. I also had a hard time running my ARB fridge this weekend, because of power problems.
I have a new 140 amp Tercel Alt in it (but have not personally tested output) Batteries are charging to 14 something and hold 12.6 while shut off.
I have a FSM which makes no sense to me!
I think it may be a bad ground somewhere as the rain was making it work, but I am a soldier not an electrician.
What can I check to get this stuff working again?
Sorry for the long post, and yes I have searched and read hundreds of post on this.

rayjon

any updates did you find the source of your problems??? block to body ground would be my guess, cleaning all of them should only take about 30 min, (and a molsen) there is a diagram of them in the factory manual showing all grounding points..

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Just noticed you're from NB Canada. Cool rigs (both the 80 and the Tacoma). How's the progress on the 80?
cheers,
P

meafordmike

Adventurer
Just noticed you're from NB Canada. Cool rigs (both the 80 and the Tacoma). How's the progress on the 80?
cheers,
P
Sorry havn't been on Expedition Portal in awhile.
The 80 / 81 is going nicely. I just moved to Lincoln (Fredricton) this summer. But I was reading about you when you lived out here.
Just finished fixing the Transmission (kick down cable), and am working on the Coolant/ no heat in Canada issue currently. I need to replace the Thermostat, and had to manually put the heat on from engine compartment. The HDJ81 is my summer fun rig, so I can park it in my garage and work on it all winter long.
Most of my Tech stuff end up on MUD.
As for my electrical problems? I still have a few grenmlins (4 way flashers), but I fixed the Dome fuse, radio, problems. I had a broken wire under the washer fluid bottle, very hard to find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier