My Matching Sport Trac Trailer

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I was going to ask what you did to level out your trailer. I see you got a tailgate. The bed extender isn't a bad idea at all. Looks good!

cwm

Observer
To the extend the tongue and add weight low what about using a "A" frame design welded below the existing tongue frame. This will raise the old tongue. Use a 2 inch receiver tube in the middle. Easy to find pre built receiver tube with the support collar in several lengths up to a 48 inch length.

The receiver tube design allows you to easily make changes in length and in coupler styles.

Demo1986

Observer
My last two post are different. I've had the rear springs on my truck reworked and 3 leafs added which lifts the rear end, that's why the trailer looks level.
The steel box helped and I tried putting heavy stuff up forward and the lighter stuff in he back.

Demo1986

Observer
2d45ead142473700e8c12cfc2ef38ee6.jpg

160a4c95300434185049520cba15d992.jpg

Demo1986

Observer
I'm using the trailer more lately and I have to start putting weight up from or it swerves all over the freeway if it hits a pebble.

37b8543ee8639785e94ca9f81bc78651.jpg

2f7423fe9faec8301b9b8e134f3791d8.jpg

a76e40438fac68b7fd5769f48858a4ef.jpg

tgreening

Expedition Leader
You've sad that a couple times now But you continue to hang stuff out back on the dropped gate. On a short trailer like you have with the bulk of the payload area behind the axle, it isn't going to take much for the tail to start wagging the dog. First place you should start loading in your situation is that that tongue box, and don't be afraid to load it heavy, and then load your heaviest junk as far froward in your trailer as you can get t. Better to be heavy on the tongue than light, especially something that short.

I know folks like using truck beds as trailers because they think it's a cheap easy way to go and it "matches", but some are more suited to that task than others and honestly, the proportions on your bed are about 180 deg out. Without additional work you're going to have to be really on the ball with how you load.

Binksman

Observer
How about flipping your bed around backwards, leaving room to drop the tailgate down, and building a little caged platform on the rear for hauling messy stuff? Sure you'll have to install other lights, but it keeps with your theme. You could even get some aftermarket taillight housings for the now-front of the bed and wire in camp lights...

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Trailer and truck look awesome. Keep working that weight distribution and you'll get the waggle worked out. Might take a moment to measure to make sure the tongue, frame and axle are all square. Can make a big difference.

Capercrew02

Observer
have you considered using an adjustable tongue? one that slides to lengthen and shorten, might help to have a longer tongue for highway towing, then you can shorten it offroad if you find its to long for trails.

Demo1986

Observer
The trailer only handles bad when I have stuff on the tailgate but when I tow it with the tailgate up (80% of the time) it's great. It's a mcwelco steel box and the heaviest things get loaded there and the lightest at the back (pillows and blankets) but the leverage is what makes it wag around when I load the tailgate.

I like the adjustable tongue idea and I will check if it's square as well. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Trophycummins

Adventurer
How bad was the ca dmv registration process on the trailer? I'm thinking of building one myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Demo1986

Observer
How bad was the ca dmv registration process on the trailer? I'm thinking of building one myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not bad at all. It went smooth and surprisingly quick. Make sure you emphasize that it's home built and that the lights work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier