My M762 build (same structure as flatbed M416) - made a gear hauler (solar and fridge updates)

stbrendan

I made the panel mounts and fridge slide out of zinc plated perforated steel angle from home depot. I can slide the panel into the angle and it is snug without any rattling. I hold it with a hitch pin/clip drilled through the solar panel corner.
DIY Panel mounts.jpg

retention clip view.jpg

stbrendan

Tongue box layout - installed everything on a separate removable backboard which I hope will make changes easier. Solar panel <-> Solar controller <-> 20amp inline fuse <-> battery <-> big battery isolator switch <-> fuse panel <-> 3 wires in conduit to 3 x 12V DC outlets for fridge/etc.
Tongue Box -Electrical view.jpg
conduit between tongue box and trailer.jpg
inside - 3 12v outlet view.jpg

stbrendan

The fridge sits on a 28" slide out shelf, with 26" 100lb drawer slides. I made the mount fairly cheaply from steel angle from home depot. The Massimo CX50 is 50 L and working great so far, but I have space on my shelf setup for something bigger if it doesn't work out (or I outgrow it). I also considered making the shelf/slide out "tilt" capable, but didn't need to at this time. If I get a taller fridge - maybe in the future it will tilt. I also used a ratchet strap to keep it stable for rough roads or trails.
fridge slide view.jpg

stbrendan

Although moving the trailer around by hand on level ground is easy, the existing drop down non-ratcheting tongue wheel was a tad challenging to lift out of the way (while simultaneously holding up the trailer!). Although doable, it required enough of my strength that I figured my wife and kids would not be able to do it in the event that I was injured or just plain get too old.
I bought this Dutton-Lainson https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Dutton-Lainson/DL22335.html 1500Lb wheel jack because it had 100% 5 star reviews and because it was one of the few wheel jacks that was long enough to raise my tongue high enough to clear the existing wheel.
20210625_120534.jpg

stbrendan

Original swing back wheel lifted out of the way.
20210625_120712.jpg
The one thing I don't like about this trailer jacks is that the handle swings freely. Bungie cord to the rescue.
20210625_120800.jpg

stbrendan

Continuing the red/black theme - I had wanted to attach LED spotlights to the rack, but after thinking about it I figured this spotlight (magnetic/12v/LED) would be more practical: WF Magnetic Light Bar with Base from Amazon.
And for everybody who buys the Harbor Freight tongue box --- YES, it fades to this milky gray color in the So Cal sunlight within about 90 days! That is NOT a whole lot of dust, it is really that color already :(
20210625_120838.jpg

stbrendan

So I bought my Interstate Marine RV Deep Cycle battery in April 2021, and it is now no longer holding a charge in May 2022--- and it only had a 12 month warranty :( I am choosing now to go with a LifePo4 Lithium setup, which will also require a different solar charge controller. Should have done the "buy once, cry once" calculation better on that setup!
The Massimo EKooler is still working great.
Not sure which battery I will buy, I will share that update in a future post.

stbrendan

Updates -
I bought these items-

I have validated that the Lusatelli 12V LifePo4 battery was able to charge up to 13.6 volts via my solar panel (100w) and the new solar charger setup using a multimeter.
I then disconnected the solar panel and ran the fridge for 40 hours on just the battery - for at least 24 hours the multimeter was showing 13.2 volts (aka 70% capacity according to multiple sources).
At roughly 40 hours it was reading 13.15 volts, which would equate to roughly 50% capacity still - I am quite please with this result.

I also installed a 15Amp 3 prong household style weatherproof outlet on the side of my tongue box so that I can use a basic inverter and extension cord setup to power devices in the near future. I am heading to Yosemite, and figure I might be able to put my fridge inside the bear box at the campsite and run an extension cord to it :)

20220521_145842.jpg
20220521_145850.jpg
20220521_151641.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier