My M416 Trailer Build

Hokie

Observer
Hey man! The trailer came out great! I am glad to see it went to a good home and hope you continue to enjoy it!

Finally got my my hood struts on and working. Only took me 3 tries to get the right ones. I first tried 175's, too light, 250's, way to heavy, 200's, works perfect. I also changed out the handle to something with some heft.

ecfa6716700f4044ae144806f542ad1b_zpsc37fd8fd.jpg

ab690d1c78d833da37aec4f16d656b8e_zpsa77d8ac7.jpg

Oh and btw that's dirt on the fender from my camping trip, not rust...lol

Last edited:

daninghram

Adventurer
How would you think the 175lb struts would work on a lid without the tent?
great looking trailer!

Finally got my my hood struts on and working. Only took me 3 tries to get the right ones. I first tried 175's, too light, 250's, way to heavy, 200's, works perfect. I also changed out the handle to something with some heft.

ecfa6716700f4044ae144806f542ad1b_zpsc37fd8fd.jpg

ab690d1c78d833da37aec4f16d656b8e_zpsa77d8ac7.jpg

Oh and btw that's dirt on the fender from my camping trip, not rust...lol

How would you think the 175lb struts would work on a lid without the tent?
great looking trailer!

Thanks man, I think you would be good with 175lb struts. I found the biggest thing when installing them was angle and leverage. The ones I used are 28 inches open and like 16.5 closed. Make sure your mounting points take full advantage of the movement of the struts. I also went with 13mm ball ends.

Last edited:
Took her out for another camping trip and it was awesome!

I really need to get to work on my battery set up and onboard water. I think I am going to go with a 15 gallon tank mounted in the middle and try to set it up with a water heater.

geocrzy

Existing under the radar
Love this build! Simple and functional! Here is a picture of mine. Very similar. I'm going to use your build as a blueprint to rebuild mine! Nice work! IMG_20130831_183848_591.jpg

Love this build! Simple and functional! Here is a picture of mine. Very similar. I'm going to use your build as a blueprint to rebuild mine! Nice work! View attachment 214299

Thanks man. Love the pic and your front roller wheel. I need to do something like that on mine. I see yours isn't connected to a vehicle with the tent open. Does it feel sturdy that way? or do you have any other type of supports?
I have been thinking of adding some leveling jacks to mine to make sure it doesn't move once disconnected from my jeep.

Cant wait to see more pics.

geocrzy

Existing under the radar
Thanks man. Love the pic and your front roller wheel. I need to do something like that on mine. I see yours isn't connected to a vehicle with the tent open. Does it feel sturdy that way? or do you have any other type of supports?
I have been thinking of adding some leveling jacks to mine to make sure it doesn't move once disconnected from my jeep.

Cant wait to see more pics.
I need to add stabilizing jacks to the front and back. I happend to have 5 20 liter Jerry cans of water in the front of the trailer.

OppugnAll

Quick question, what method did you use to attach your battery box? Any pic of its mount/supports, I'm getting ready to mount mine finally.

To attach the battery box I went the easy route. I just welded 2 pieces of the 1 inch square tube I had left over from the lid, directly to the trailer frame. Then I welded the battery box to those. I will see if I can get some pics up tonight.

OppugnAll

Thanks for the fast response. Like this ?image.jpg

And I think you answered my main question of what size you used. I was trying to guess a size that would allow it to float over the pintle spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior