My M416 Build

Mark2457

Picked up an M416.

Building trailer for camping (right now I camp with a Gazelle T4Plus). Will tow behind my 2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 (mostly on road as there's little off-roading to be done in illinois :) ) A lot of weekend trips. Some long weekend and I'm planning to a 2 week trip to Yellowstone etc. next spring/summer. As I want to do winter camping, I seriously considered a teardrop or similar, but didn't want to have to always take the trailer (400% toll charges in IL when towing a trailer too), so opted for RTT that I can swap between ranger and trailer.

My iKamper SkyCamp Mini arrives this week. Got Zroadz overland rack. Was going to get RCI rack but they have6-8 week lead time. I find this totally ridiculous: it's a universal rack and they have zero inventory. It's not like they are going to make a ton and then find out no-one is buying vehicle X anymore. Ended up paying over 50% more to get something with a 10 day lead time.

So here's me arriving home with the trailer. No VIN, so a real pain to register in IL (and $241)

M416 Original.png

4 hours later - dismantled and ready to strip. Found a mobile sand blasting service for $500

Dismantled.png

Sandblasting Rig.jpeg

Sandblasted frame and tub

Sandblasted Frame.jpeg

Sanblasted tub.jpeg

Patched up some holes with Bondo (metal reinforced filler)
Bondo Done.jpeg

Ordering Timbren suspension and LVLP spray gun tomorrow. Plan is to install wheels with same lug pattern as Ranger, so I only have to carry one spare. Only issue is that I need to use the Timbren 3500lbs suspension for that lug pattern. With max load, trailer only weighs 1200lbs. I am a bit concerned about how much it will bounce around when empty or lightly loaded. I know Dinoot use the same Timbren

So suspension and paint is busy work.

Two things I'm giving a lot of thought to are a waterproof and secure lid, and a bed rack for RTT

Just taking welding classes, so considering fabricating a lid; although, also considering fiber glass fab - Any thoughts?

For the bed rack, I need to be at least 5 feet off the ground, as I'm buying the annex room for the RTT. Ideally would like something that telescopes so I can adjust as needed. Would also like a rail system, so I can attach other things. Any thoughts on this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier