My M1101 and M1102 Buying Experience and Build Thread

Here is the thread I started before seeing yours. link. If you have time and see anything you can add/answer I would appreciate it.

I emailed govplanet about seeing the trailer in person and they said we could arrange a "hands off inspection" so I could see it but not touch it. I haven't actually seen one of these in person but I get they are big. I am worried it will be a big load to tow and cumbersome/slow. I want to built a full camping trailer like the turtleback or other brands.

Sorry I've been away. I haven't gotten any reply notifications from expedportal, and just now checked in.

The M1101/M1102 trailers are big in size, but in no way hard to haul or heavy. Since most of the trailer is Aluminum, with the exception of the Chasis (Chromoly Steel), it is very light. The stock weight is just under 1,460 lbs, which includes the giant military wheels/tires that weigh 250 lbs each. I wanted to use the Military tires with solid run flat inserts, but if you absolutely need to save weight, you can save at least 200 lbs by switching to standard wheels and tires... It just won't look as scary and bad *****.

The real issue for most is ride height. Changing to smaller wheels/tires will drop the trailer some, but you will still need vehicle with high ride hight, and a hist with a decent vertical lift.

I absolutely love the idea of doing this. I have a bone stock 2013 Jeep wrangler sahara, if I was to get one of these guys would it be as simple as changing out the wheels/tires to level this guy out to sit flat with the Jeep? The plan would be to use one of these guys as a camping trailer....Your post has been really helpful.

Starbuck77

I'm glad it helped. I know auctions and forms can scare off most, so I wanted to share my entire experience in exact detail. I hope more people will buy straight from auction rather than people buying them to resell. I bought 4 total, and sold the extras barely over cost. I sold the last one at a slight loss to someone who really needed it to start a business, and didn't have any more to spend. The only issue with these are they are wide, especially compared to a jeep, since the body is so much narrower than the fenders. It's tricky to back up straight, even after you get some practice. With the soft top on, it's really tricky to back up, and I've pulled trailers my entire life.

Nice trailers guys - I'm thinking this is the rig for me to start with and build into the trailer of my dreams. No point in throwing $15K at a prebuilt unit when I know I'll never be satisfied and would still be modifying it.

Where is the best source for nice rigs in Canada? I'm currently on Kijiji scouring around - my hunt has only just begun!

I have no experience with export or where to get one in Canada? I will leave that for others to answer. I would assume it would be important to get one that was already Titled in the USA, as I did on mine.

City_Rider

Adventurer
There are a couple up here with registration on them already - I'm considering one of these as a viable option over an Adventure Trailer.

If they were steel they would be too heavy - aluminum makes it very attractive. I wonder how much custom welding would cost... A flip top with struts for opening would be pretty freakin' cool.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I was able to find one locally recently, already converted to 12v, price was fair. I'd wanted one in tan but the one I bought is green camo, and I'm starting to like it (don't want the project/hassle of painting it).

Could their be a more rugged off-highway capable utility trailer? At surplus prices this is a lot of trailer for a fraction of the original $10k price tag.

Can you tell me what's the width of the main spar?

I think you are asking the width of the soft top bows? They are all the same size. The trailer is approximately 85 3/4" wide to the outside. The Bows are approximately 81.5" wide to the inside of the pipe. I hope that helps,

StratoCrewzr

Haven't been on here in over 2 years but have gotten back into thinking about how to utilize my M-1101 to haul a light Truck Camper or build a custom Aluminum slide in for the trailer. Two years ago I drew up some general brainstorming ideas and thought I'd share them here. Never know where an idea will lead. Perhaps posting my wishful brainstorm here will inspire someone to build something that in return will inspire me and others. So enjoy.

M-1101 Trailer Camper brainstorm.

M-1101 CAMPER MOD SIDE PROFILE CONCEPT #3.jpg

M-1101 CAMPER MOD REAR PROFILE CONCEPT #3.jpg

M-1101 CAMPER MOD FOOT PRINT CONCEPT #3.jpg

Zombie_Tech

Welcome to the 1102 club.

I absolutely LOVE mine. I do have several thing still to do, but it's functional right now.

IMAG04191_zpsonpdft2d.jpg

Swapped to a regular 2 inch hitch mounted under the main spar, cut the military end off and wired on a regular 7 way. Replaced the tail light bulbs with 12v and the others with LED's. Wired the black-out lights to reverse and replace the bulbs with 12v, also removing the lense block/cover. Swapped those HUGE and heavy rims/tires with a set of 265/70r16 mounted on dodge steel rims.

IMAG04121_zpshoozc0wk.jpg

IMAG04101_zpsepqtdtrt.jpg

I'm going to add aircraft track to the top rails, some ladder racks, swap brakes to electric with parking brake, mount spare under rear of bed, plan to use a queen size futon for sleeping (removable).

I just got my first M1101 trailer! This group is great with great tips and info. Thanks. Do you have any more information on the wiring the black-out lights to reverse? I'm working on the light now and I would love to have be able to do this too. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9092.JPG
    IMG_9092.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9103.JPG
    IMG_9103.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_9105.JPG
    IMG_9105.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_9108.JPG
    IMG_9108.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 73

cyclic

Adventurer
It's pretty easy, put some regular white LED bulbs in the black out lights location. Remove the black out plastic cover piece in the lens. Then just connect the wire that goes to them to the reverse wire in the seven pin harness.

Ryannnz

Just put our build update on the YouTubes;

Hope you dig the design!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne