My M101A2 Expo/Base Camp Trailer

RagnarD

Adventurer
Great build and story. I like your style.

Looks like you have a pulley system to help lower the rack by yourself? I assume it raises on its own when you pull a few pins?

shack

Adventurer
Great build and story. I like your style.

Looks like you have a pulley system to help lower the rack by yourself? I assume it raises on its own when you pull a few pins?

Thanks! I've got 4 100lb gas springs to do the lifting, one on each corner. Pop pins hold it fully retracted or fully up, with the difference being 16". I've got a Harbor Freight 2500lb winch set up to do the pulling back down. So, when I want to retract it, I pull the pins on one side and bump the winch a bit to make the rack slide down about half an inch. Then I move to the other side, pop the pins and winch it all the way down.

Set up is basically the opposite.

spikemd

Explorer
Nice work. I am debating about an M101 or 416. I see more 101s now and actually may want to additional space it affords.

Your trailer looks great with that tarp.

shack

Adventurer
Nice setup! It's just like how I'm trying to set my M1101 right now. Sub'd and congratulations

Thanks!

Nice work. I am debating about an M101 or 416. I see more 101s now and actually may want to additional space it affords.

Your trailer looks great with that tarp.

Thanks! I had that debate too. I needed something I could haul items around in and the 416 platform was just too small for me. I love the 101. Its heavy, there's no denying that, but it works great and I have all the room I could ever want for camping items. I think I can save another 100lbs or so when I ditch the axle.

I love the tarp. The guy kinda messed up one corner so I plan on having him fix that, but its been great so far.

parapyropig

Gorilla Wrangler
You and Mark are making me have intrusive thoughts about dumping my stock surge brakes...

Great build - now I have a case of tool envy, too. :)

1Louder

Explorer
Great build. I just bought a M116 for my future build. I look forward to your research on replacing your axle. I would like to match my trailer with my FJ's wheel pattern and add electric brakes.

Box Rocket

Nice work on the trailer. Not sure how I haven't seen this one before now. Your rack/tent lift is VERY similar to what I did on my trailer. Do you find that the cable in the center of the trailer to pull the rack down gets in the way of loading gear in the trailer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles