My M1010 build

krebsatm02

Observer
Anybody knowledgeable with AC systems?

Was talking with a friend the other day and decided it would be awesome to keep the current AC unit that is on the front of the box. It is self contained except for a compressor which is currently engine driven. It's also out of the way while a rooftop mounted unit like a polar cub would be more susceptible to tree limbs, etc...

Is it possible to add a second compressor to the system? Like a compressor from a window unit? This way I could run the AC while going down the road with engine power and I could run it in camp from a generator.

krebsatm02

Observer
I'm starting to get the itch to build this again. At least it's seen use as a tailgating vehicle! Also, can this be moved to the Domestic vehicle forum? I'm not sure I paid attention when I posted this 6 years ago...

L_eUo-Bo2kNYH-2YFhW3M0dm8VpNL13VB_Anu7uqIvs=w1234-h925-no
M1010 Logo.jpg

Last edited:

1cambo

I bought an M1010 with the sold purpose of building an "expedition" vehicle. I'm went back to school for a second degree and only have a little money that my wife allows me to spend.:Wow1: After trying to shower from a shower bag in CO a few weeks ago in 20 mph winds, she's much more supportive now!

I've been rock crawling for ~ 10 years now, so I have a very good back ground in 4x4's, fab, etc... I also work in two different shops with mills, lathes, etc...

For those of you wondering what an M1010 is... It's an ex military ambulance. It has a dana 60 front and a 14 bolt rear with a detroit locker and 4.56's. It also has a 6.2 diesel with a th400 and a np208.

The cab actually has a pass through to the rear box. The rear box is all aluminum and has a separate AC system that is run off a engine driven compressor. Unfortunately, it doesn't have AC in the cab.

Stock they are sluggish and slow. With the turbo, nv4500, and 35's it should be able to hold it's own.

Plans for the vehicle:

Paint
Change 12 volt
6.5 turbo/manifolds/etc... and serpentine belt setup
NV4500 backed by a NP205 with a PTO for a front winch.
Rear Warn HS9500i
35"bfg mt's
Shackle flip in the rear and factory leaf springs
Front, lift springs.
Custom bumpers, sliders, etc...

Pics:
DSC_8152.JPG

DSC_8153.JPG

DSC_8157.JPG
Very cool truck!
I would caution you regarding the turbo , I don’t think those old engines can take much stress!
As for as in the cab, I would think that wouldn’t be too hard to overcome, just get the heater core/evaporator part from an older chevy and go get an ac guy to tee into your existing system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94