My life is an adventure, 2000 Suburban is the vessel

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
really enjoy seeing our adventures with the Suburban and kids. Keep it up.

X2

What a great, loving dad you are. Your children, when they get older, will thank you for the rest of their lives for instilling such an appreciation of camping and exploring in their minds. You’re creating some incredible, un-erasable, lifelong memories for them. That same thing was the greatest gift my folks ever gave us.

Last edited:

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
X2

What a great, loving dad you are. Your children, when they get older, will thank you for the rest of their lives for instilling such an appreciative of camping and exploring in their minds. You’re creating some incredible, un-erasable, lifelong memories for them. That same thing was the greatest gift my folks ever gave us.

AbleGuy,

Thank you. My parents made memories for me similar to this and I am forever grateful.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Day trip: Tireod Canyon.

Couple weeks ago I found Tierod Canyon, it's a fantastic little trail with options to go rock crawling and make it as difficult as you see fit. We ran it so fast last time to shoot a timelapse that I didn't really get a chance to get out and enjoy it and take pictures, I had 1/2 a day to kill so we went back for round two.

uZQLxsu.jpg

Trail starts by following the rail road for approximately 1 mile and them crosses under the railroad through the large tunnel.

yf05GYB.jpg

Nothing special about the approach or the entrance, just a little washed out from the recent rains.

3A7UFH5.jpg

I like the desert graffiti art, looks pretty.

UAHt6NV.jpg

Graffiti inside the big tunnel.

LSUwKYY.jpg

Boys spent at least half an hour running through the tunnel yelling echo!

6q5JhUj.jpg

It was very pleasant to hand the camera off to someone else so they could take some pictures of the Sub in action for a change.

a415hb2.jpg

After another 2-3 miles through the open desert we came to an overlook of Las Vegas.

1uaUOTY.jpg

Red Rock Canyon in the background below us.

IdbBilm.jpg

Silly 37" tires, make this obstacle look small.

629PzNZ.jpg

Still 2wd and no problems at all.

ij7JP6w.jpg

My approach and break-over angles are nearly identical to a bone stock factory 2017 2 door Rubicon, however the departure angle is not, thus for the hitch ball, to ensure I don't snag on anything, and if I do I can pull a pin and keep going without ripping the rear bumper off.

S6iK13r.jpg

Made it to the top of the rock.

0iVTEpD.jpg

A little off camber action, and yes I tilted the camera slightly to get a more dramatic angle.

oKeoEDI.jpg

Another angle. The boys really like all of our off road adventures.

lpGNMPY.jpg

After approximately 5 miles in the actual canyon we exit through another tunnel under the rail road tracks. This one is a little smaller than the first one. Note kiddo on left is approximately 37" tall and the one on the right is 42"

ZuhIYyj.jpg

Plenty of room.

K8E8NLW.jpg

I did fold the mirrors in initially, but that left me over 4" of wiggle room on each side.

W5agoKC.jpg

When both the mirrors are unfolded I had about 1/2-3/4" on either side.

bEn8Kw3.jpg

Yes, I can only fit one finger between the tunnel and my mirror.

Xo5Ly1c.jpg

That was fun. By far one of my favorite trails in the Las Vegas Area and very manageable.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Day Trip: Desert Wildlife Refuge 200 miles off road

The last several weeks have been really busy and I have not had a chance to get out as often as I like. Today we planned a 60 mile off road adventure that all my friends backed out off. Since it was just myself and the kids and we were not limited by the slower pace of others we spent a little more time exploring than originally planned and covered 200 miles of dirt.

j2WyXac.jpg

Original plan was to run Alamo Rd in its entirety, and shoot a timelapse, then hit up some side trails along the pavement on the way back home.

0zImr7t.jpg

Until a couple months ago the dry lake bed section of Alamo Rd has been closed off to traffic due to impassible conditions both wet and dry. I have not had a chance to chat with the rangers as to why the road is not open after a 5-8 year closure but I knew that this is something that I always wanted to drive in its 78 mile entirety.

HaPWcOq.jpg

After a brisk 44 mile drive the Sub still looks remarkably clean.

OOIsRh4.jpg

Dry lake bed was soft and fluffy sand with deep ruts from traffic when it was wet as well as numerous puddles and very wet areas of standing water at the shallowest part.

fSQnlQc.jpg

After successfully navigating the dry lake we came to this lovely area of formations I have never seen in the desert before.

56g4Jp3.jpg

Not sure if these are eroded by wind, water or both but its a great little area of hundreds of little caves.

ROxGAYk.jpg

These caves are about two feet tall, 3-4 feet wide and 2-3 feet deep.

IAAcdUz.jpg

78 miles went by really quick and we arrived at Pahranagat NWR.

X3pRQKh.jpg

Natural springs and lots of water along with two very large reservoirs not pictured, this really is a wildlife oasis.

5ZPKp03.jpg

There are many signs stating that the dry lake area becomes impassible when wet and sometimes impassible when dry. This is what the rangers use for both the dry lake recovery as well as moving supplies and equipment in the marsh area. There is a second one hiding on the left side of picture.

JJ6NQ9b.jpg

Found an old cabin.

hLu76Xr.jpg

After a closer inspection it appears that this old cabin is now a bat habitat.

sP2Q6gM.jpg

And on even closer inspection there are carvings in the wall of the structure.

lORmy7k.jpg

Not sure what this is supposed to be.

yNX2TLc.jpg

Many of the rocks on the front of the building have carvings.

PcXGAYi.jpg

Looks like the awning was built after the carvings have been discovered to slow down the erosion.

Tt2pWYJ.jpg

I do not hunt but good to know that there is a designated hunting area within the National Wildlife Refuge.

Pov6TjH.jpg

I am in the medical field, Tue, Thur, Sat dialysis is normal to me but designated hunting days, is that normal or specific to this area?

PnxcU3i.jpg

There were numerous trails off Alamo Rd, so we decided to turn around and take the 78 mile trail back but this time exploring all the side trails on the way back. The sign on left in the background says "NO SHOOTING NEXT 72 MILES"

11LHNGi.jpg

More fun looking eroded sandstone.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Day Trip: Desert Wildlife Refuge 200 miles off road, part 2

We headed back down Alamo Rd to the dry lake bed that had many puddles, I ran through every single one of them, a couple were over a foot deep and were a lot of fun. The kids loved the drive with the windows open as they got sprayed non stop for over 10 minutes.

TcTPWo2.jpg

First side trail was Cabin Spring Rd. Significant elevation gain which took us to a beautiful camping are with fantastic views of the dry lake below.

MzX4Zab.jpg

I could not resist a photo shoot opportunity.

lmArhV0.jpg

80 degrees outside and snow here and there in the mountains on the right side of the picture.

LWrEuRA.jpg

What a pretty ugly duckling.

tfxEXwf.jpg

Back to Alamo Rd, dry lake bed in the back ground.

UUvB738.jpg

Highest elevation on Alamo Rd: Sheep Pass

pKSodl3.jpg

I did not take any pictures worth posting but are amazing secluded camping areas. Last trail we did today was Hidden Forest Rd that leads to Deadman Canyon.

ozi8IBR.jpg

Approximately 5 miles past the gate is an old ranger/trapper cabin which sits at nearly 8,000ft in elevation and is surrounded by giant Ponderosa pines.

This was a great trip covering many miles and exploring many new areas I have driven past but never ventured into.

preccadolwis

X2

What a great, loving dad you are. Your children, when they get older, will thank you for the rest of their lives for instilling such an appreciative of camping and exploring in their minds. You’re creating some incredible, un-erasable, lifelong memories for them. That same thing was the greatest gift my folks ever gave us.
Hello how are you doing sir please can we kindly talk privately thanks

Sent from my TECNO F1 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste