My last hurdle - condensation

TantoTrailers

I have just about everything worked out in my rig except for condensation on nights below freezing. I have tried candles, fans, prayer, and a combination of those items. I do not have a heater built in and I don’t have the ability to install one at this point in my 1.0 rig. 2.0 will be significantly different but that’s a year off or more and winter is just setting in here in the Midwest. I deal with high humidity climate so I don’t have the luxury of dry air to start with. Frost was built up on everything outside as soon as the sun set last night. The condensation I end up with in the morning is significant but I run hot when I sleep so I may perspire more than average. The only way I have found success is to run my exhaust fan at 3 or more and have a window cracked 2-4 inches. However, this results in the cabin temp being very minimally higher than outside temp. I have been able to stay warm in my sleeping bag at those temps but as soon as I get out my ass is frozen and it’s not comfortable to just hang out in the cabin. I’m running 12v and not installing an inverter for the purpose of a dehumidifier or something along those lines. Has anyone come up with a system that works while keeping inside above freezing?

kwill

Observer
I don't think perspiration is the issue; it is expiration, i.e. breathing. I don't think there is much more you can do about without adding heat. A 12V electric heating pad under your sleeping bag or an electric blanket may help.

TantoTrailers

I have the heated blanket and it’s actually too warm. Being warm while I sleep isn’t my issue, I bet I could go down to 0* F inside the cabin before I would start getting cold in my sleeping bag. My issue is being warm while I sit around or read outside of the sleeping bag. It’s not huge but I have room for activities as they say haha.

crazysccrmd

Observer
An electric free and cheap option you could try is a bucket of DampRid. I’m not sure if it will keep up with the amount of moisture you create but it might help.

chet6.7

Explorer
6170X-2T.jpg

Vented to the outside. :)
What about one of the Chinese diesel heaters?

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Insulation. As much as possible. Couple that with mechanical ventilation (actual air exchange, not just a fan blowing the air around) especially if you have heat as the moisture levels will rise and more will condense on cold surfaces.

TantoTrailers

Hahahahaha yes!! That’s amazing and probably would work well! My buddy works for McMaster so I can get a heavy duty one that can double as a gas mask for the apocalypse!

I should look into building a mobile diesel heater box...hmmmm

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Wallas (wallas.fi) has some great diesel heaters that aren't noisy, which I find is quite important when trying to sleep. Heaters that are designed for high output in a very short time period won't be good for a camper, because you will need to run it at a low setting constantly in order to not get too hot. And when doing that, it will very quickly get clogged/sooted.

billiebob

You need to add heat plus you need to exhaust the moist air. So insulation, air handling plus a heat source. The heat source is the challenge. Maybe a used semi sleeper heater? Over the past 30 years semi sleepers have included heat, air plus a generator in a compact frame mount.

shade

Better check under your mattress for condensation, too.

A low tech method for dealing with the worst of it is to keep a highly absorbent microfiber cloth on hand to wipe down the interior.

chet6.7

Explorer
I have just been watching YT videos on Chinese diesel heaters,a couple of things to be aware of,one person had a van mounted heater turn on by itself resulting in some burned plastic on some cargo.The smell of the burned plastic alerted him to the problem,he was about to park the vehicle at his home.
A second poster ordered a gas heater,it is marked gasoline,it would not run right,he tried diesel,it works well on diesel.
Kerosene may help with any sooting issues,some say to run the heater on high for a few mins. prior to shutdown.

TantoTrailers

My sleeping setup is a cot made of ripstop nylon and a closed cell 1/2” mat on top of that. Then I have my sleeping bag which holds a 3” backpacking air pad that is not insulated. I sleep on the air pad inside the sleeping bag. The heated blanket went on top of the closed cell foam below my sleeping bag and it kept me toasty but consumed a good amount of power. It is one that won’t shut off unless it gets too hot which is unlikely cause it ran a while and never got any warmer than it was then.

if only there was a coffee can size version of this...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier