My KLR

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Hey guys,
Another couple of good KlR forums you might want to check out are klrworld.com and klrforum.com they don't have any of the premium membership stuff like th klr.net one has.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
klrforum.com is a PITA to register. Not sure if I have enough interest after trying half a dozen times and being rejected.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
klrforum.com is a PITA to register. Not sure if I have enough interest after trying half a dozen times and being rejected.

Sorry to hear that about the klrforum. I found a lot of great people on that forum that I ride with regularly now. Also been to some great tech days with folks on that forum.

Sorry to hijack the thread though.

Frank,
Tell me how you like the Pak-Meister panniers. They look great.

Frank

Explorer
I am super happy with the PM panniers as of now. My only complaint is that they are time consuming to put on and off and really need to be empty to take on or off the bike. This could be a real pain in the ... if you have everything packed just right to fit. A puck system or HT pannier latch system would be a solution. I will try my brother in laws HT panniers on my packrat rack and if their latch things work, I will likely go that route. Regardless of that "downfall", I would recommend them to everyone.

My trip in July will be my true test with these.

This week I will update this thread with some other things I have done to the bike.

BTW, adv, klr650.net are also great forums. Lots of great ideas and solutions on those forums...
but I really like this forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Can you put up any pics of how they mount?

I use the HT pucks to mount my Seahorse cases. As long as your racks are similar thickness to the HT racks they should work.

Frank

Explorer
Happy Anniversary!

Well, I am coming up on a year of owning my bike and wanted to give a little update as to where is and what it looks like. I have a lot of feelings about the bike both good and bad, all my opinion of course. I love the bike and what it is ready to do. You could come grab it out of my garage tonight and head around the world. The bike truly is a go anywhere, very easy bike to ride.

The one major problem I have with it is that it is not designed to run over about 75mph. For most, that is not a problem. For me, I ride this bike all of the time, and about everywhere I go when I am solo. -this means my commute to work which is highway that runs 70mph. I love my KLR but think it is time to move on likely in the spring unless things change prior to that or something comes along. My next choices are either a KTM 640 adv, BMW F800GS or a KTM 990 Adv, the latter of the two if my wallet permits.

My life made a major change for the better last October and I haven't had much time to go on many 'adventures' since my last one. I did manage to ride to the upper portion of the lower peninsula of Michigan over the summer, many day trips around the local area and in a few weeks my father in law, bro in law and I will once again head north into Michigan to see what we can find this year. Mid-October I am planning a 4 day ride to either the UP of Michigan if the weather is ok, upstate NY or to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I will probably decide the day I leave. lol.

As my bike stands, here is what is done to it:

Engine:
$.22 mod
airbox mod
Uni filter
Super trapp exhaust (loud, could/should be replaced or repacked/rebuilt)
Thermobob
PCV mod
Magnetic drain plug

Chassis:
(R) Cogent Moab shock/Eibach spring
(F)Race Tech emulators / Progressive springs
upgraded subframe bolts
Happy Trail fork brace
skid plate
rear mstr cyl guard

Other gear:
handle bar risers
unknown hand guards
Happy-trail Rally windscreen relocation
9v outlet
Pak-rat rear rack
Pack-meister panniers
Coo-case top box
LED rear tail light
Aux LED driving lights
Shinko 705 tires (F&R)
EBC front brake pads
Happy Trails shifter lever
Moose pegs

GOPR1127-8 by Frank Vest, on Flickr

GOPR1115-3 by Frank Vest, on Flickr

GOPR1132-10 by Frank Vest, on Flickr

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Frank,
I totally understand your desire for another bike. I'd love a KTM990..

Have you tried re-gearing with a larger front sprocket? I hear doing this or the combo of a front sprocket and rear sprocket almost gives you that sixth gear feeling.

One thing I did on my gen 1 KLR was to put on a taller back tire. It's way less buzzy over 70mph, and at 75mph I'm turning 500rpms less than before going with the taller tire. I went up to a 130/90 from the 130/80 stock tire. Of course now I can't touch the ground as good as before, but I got used to it real quick.

Your KLR is set up real nice.

Frank

Explorer
I have thought about trying gearing but everyone seems to have different opinions. Some say you will gain the speed but loose the ability to have 'off the line' power. I still go rip around through the back roads from time to time so its really a serious crap-shoot. Do I want to ride at a lower RPM at higher speeds or do I want to have power when I go have fun on the weekends? I can't have both from what I gather. If my daily commute didn't have a 75mph ride, I would not want to get rid of the bike.

I havent tried or even thought about the larger rear tire. I thought about getting a new knobby tire for my trip next month...maybe I will have to give that a shot. Thanks!

Cabrito

I come in Peace
If you are going to put a taller Knobby on there you better make sure you have the clearance. I'm on a Shinko 705 that's more of a dual purpose tire. When I put my Knobby on the rear it almost rubs on one side. (stock size)

It's hard to know how things would be until you really try them. I did notice the slightest "off the line" power drop with the taller tire. It's forgotten now that I'm used to it. Since most of my day to day riding is commuting to work on the freeway I'm going with the compromise of lower RPM's.

I'm still having plenty of fun on back road twisties with the taller tire.

I'm going to be changing my chain and sprockets soon and plan on running a 16t front. I'm also going to put on one of them Eagle Mike nuts that are supposed to be easy to take off. I have a 14t sprocket for off road rides that I plan on carrying with me and doing roadside swaps. I'm not sure of the reality of that one though. I've spoken to a few who do it.

Owning a KLR is all about compromise for sure, and the KLR is just a gateway bike for some.

If I had the money I'd be all over a KTM..

Cody1771

Explorer
up a tooth for highway? do they rev to low in high gear on the highway? i found my strom did when doing under 110km/h so basically any time you want to obey the speed limit but use 6th gear for fuel efficiency, i went up a tooth to increase 1st gear low speed performance but it helped this as well.

Frank

Explorer
No, just the opposite. On stock gearing, at 70mph, you are at 5000rpms. At 80, you have pretty much given it all it has.

Going UP a tooth, gives you about 400 more RPM's or so...so at 70, you are at 4600rpms.

Frank

Explorer
My time as a KLR rider has come to an end. Hopefully, in the next few days, I will be discussing my next bike.

I did not sell my bike because it is a bad bike...just that I want more, thats all.

Thank you to all who have continued this thread via PM's and discussion here.

-Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior