My kid is getting started...need some advice

slepe67

My oldest son is 22, works hard. Drives my old 7.3L PowerStroke 4x4. Has nothing, but wants to go camping. LOL. I MISS THOSE DAYS!!

While I have a good collection of camping gear, Im not inclined to give him much, as it's expensive AND I use it from time to time.

Besides, we all have to start someplace, right?

Seeing as how he has nothing, Im giving him a tent, some pots, pans, kettle & a few small things, what adgice can you give for somebody starting out, with minimal cash investment?

I told him to buy a quality sleeping bag and a couple tarps to get started.

What else?

MattF350

Observer
"Ask your mother"

But seriously, Id say save pennies, check thrift stores, cruise craigslist for used gear. Especially being Springish time, people will upgrade or no longer need camping gear.

Camp out in the backyard and see what you (personally, not what someone else) want/need to enjoy camping. Bug spray may be a wise investment.

MTVR

Since you posted this in the two-wheeled expedition vehicle section, I'd recommend a two-wheeled expedition vehicle...

1000arms

My oldest son is 22, works hard. Drives my old 7.3L PowerStroke 4x4. Has nothing, but wants to go camping. LOL. I MISS THOSE DAYS!!

While I have a good collection of camping gear, Im not inclined to give him much, as it's expensive AND I use it from time to time.

Besides, we all have to start someplace, right?

Seeing as how he has nothing, Im giving him a tent, some pots, pans, kettle & a few small things, what adgice can you give for somebody starting out, with minimal cash investment?

I told him to buy a quality sleeping bag and a couple tarps to get started.

What else?

How much camping experience has he had?

Is he interested in car camping, backpacking, ... ?

What part of the world? What part of that country? This will allow forum member's to give advice and safety tips for a given location.

A warm, but cheap and heavy, sleeping bag can work if car (truck) camping. Old comforters can work too, especially if they can be borrowed, then washed and returned. Extra comforters can be a floor pad.

A 4x8 plywood floor in the truck bed plus simple framing and tarps could keep him dry without a tent, but beware buggy areas. :cool:

Mosquito netting needed? No-see-um-mesh needed?

slepe67

How much camping experience has he had?

Is he interested in car camping, backpacking, ... ?

What part of the world? What part of that country? This will allow forum member's to give advice and safety tips for a given location.

A warm, but cheap and heavy, sleeping bag can work if car (truck) camping. Old comforters can work too, especially if they can be borrowed, then washed and returned. Extra comforters can be a floor pad.

A 4x8 plywood floor in the truck bed plus simple framing and tarps could keep him dry without a tent, but beware buggy areas. :cool:

Mosquito netting needed? No-see-um-mesh needed?

I mustve been tired when I posted this. Wow!

We do ride dirt bikes, but, yeah...wrong forum indeed.

We kive in central Montana, surrounded by mountains and plenty of Nat'l Forest.

I appreciate the links and send them to him so he has an idea.

Thanks again guys, I'll try to have my head screwed on before posting next time!

MTVR

="slepe67, post: 2783409, member: 555"
We live in central Montana, surrounded by mountains and plenty of Nat'l Forest.

We remember the absolutely blindingly beautiful Eastern European waitresses at the Pizza place across the street from the entrance to Glacier National Park.

highwest

Think about parting with some of your old gear to help him out. Surely there’s something new you’d like buy? Give him the old one.

My first sleeping bag was once my old man’s... maybe came from a thrift store before that. It was hammered when I got it and I totally ruined it when I was really young, of course. However, my second sleeping bag is actually a pair of 1970’s Camp7 down sleeping bags that also came from my dad when he worked a a sporting goods shop in college. Of the things he’s given me that were once his, I cannot think of anything that gets used more often. My wife and I absolutely love those things.

highwest

Think about parting with some of your old gear to help him out. Surely there’s something new you’d like buy? Give him the old one.

My first sleeping bag was once my old man’s... maybe came from a thrift store before that. It was hammered when I got it and I totally ruined it when I was really young, of course. However, my second sleeping bag is actually a pair of 1970’s Camp7 down sleeping bags that also came from my dad when he worked a a sporting goods shop in college. Of the things he’s given me that were once his, I cannot think of anything that gets used more often. My wife and I absolutely love those things.
********. I just re-read the list of things you’re giving him. You’re awesome OP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles