My Journey

Riversdad

Congrats on the new family member. Really glad you adopted instead of going to a breeder. You will probably enjoy the new found energy but I suspect you'll miss the one on one time that can be so special with a good dog like Tanner.

tgil

Man, what fun! I was thinking last night how nice it would be to be able to be with a pup 24/7, during that initial stage of potty training, socializing and general obedience. Scout is a great dog, until she is around someone new. At that point, it's like she has no manners whatsoever! I know if I was able to spend more time with her, she would learn those boundaries.

Alan.....the weather outlook is good. Yesterday hit 70 and we all went for a swim in the lake.....the first with the new pup.....it was great.....thanks.....

JaredEggo.....yep, non stop fun here at the lake.....

Riversdad.....Tanner will always be a special dog to me.....and he will always know it.....

tgil.....Tanner sounds like a replica of Scout and behaves the exact same way. You might say that I don't use my free time (which there is an abundance of) wisely. Tanner is good with sit, stay & come. I've never seen much need to train my dogs beyond that. I prefer having best friends over a dog that performs tricks. I'm not trying to say that one choice is superior to the other but that I just do what is right for me.....

So the new puppy has been with us for nearly a week now and I've been exploring a few different names that seemed to fit. Two names that keep coming back are Bear and Trapper. The issue I have with Bear is that we spend so much time in the wilderness and I'm not so sure yelling Bear in the forest is such a grand idea. So I've been trying out Trapper for the past few days and it may stick. Now the name Trapper comes from my days living in Alaska way back in the 70's. That was my first trip of many to Alaska.....and it was by far the best.....

20200906_101456_copy_1200x2133.jpg

Barely 20 years old at the time.....

20200906_103047_copy_1200x2133.jpg

I had been living in my travel trailer working oil & gas in Wyoming when I decided to head North to Alaska.....

20200906_102657_copy_1200x2133.jpg

The road north was truly a rough road back in those days. I don't recall a single mile of it being paved & it was as remote as it could possibly be.....

20200906_101508_copy_1200x2133.jpg

It was a true adventure back then and it was just a part of my two plus year road trip. I get a kick out of the guys on XP preparing for their "expeditions" to Alaska these days.....I wish that everyone that was born with the explorers blood in their veins could have had the same experience as I had.....it was the Call of the Wild that inspired us to explore back then.....long before Blogs & Vlogs, Likes & Hits.....

20200906_102703_copy_1200x2133.jpg

Arrival in Alaska was not a sure thing back in those days.....the AlCan Highway was known to eat vehicles alive.....mine made it there but not without both mechanical & multiple tire issues.....

20200906_102649_copy_1200x2133.jpg

Once there I camped at a friends homestead.....

20200906_101614_copy_1200x675.jpg

These were some of the best days of my life.....everyday was a new adventure to me.....life at the homestead was not easy.....5 miles of a mud driveway led to a forest service road and eventually that forest service road led to a paved road.....

20200906_101623_copy_1200x675.jpg

Those were the days my friends.....

(All photographs shown are actually cell phone pictures of photographs that I found in my storage unit this summer.....I hope that you enjoy).

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Trapper sounds a lot like Tanner. Could be confusing for both dogs. I don’t like a single syllable names for a dog. When calling your dog at a distance I believe two syllables carry further. Like TANN - ERR. Or in my case KENN - DAHH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riversdad

Trapper sounds a lot like Tanner. Could be confusing for both dogs. I don’t like a single syllable names for a dog. When calling your dog at a distance I believe two syllables carry further. Like TANN - ERR. Or in my case KENN - DAHH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with you completely, which is why we always use a two syllable name.

tgil

Great pics of that Alaska trip! You've really been at this traveling thing a while! I'm green with envy!

ITTOG

Love the old pictures. Did you scan them into your computer? Tanner will love having a companion.

The last line in Jerry's post.

(All photographs shown are actually cell phone pictures of photographs that I found in my storage unit this summer.....I hope that you enjoy).

I know he has an android phone. He may have used a native app made specifically to take pictures of old photos for digitization. It has a really sophisticated name, PhotoScan!

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
Love the pics !

Esp. the "old Alaska" ones.

Different times - very different world.

Our grown up Goldens usually ignore the new pups for a few days - surely this one is not to stay !!! - but after a few days the cave in and accept the new member of the pack and the fun begins !!

JD.....thanks. Back in the day most every picture that I took was a slide. I've got a ton of slides stored away that are slowly fading away to nothing (sadly & unfortunately). These were just a few photographs that I happened to come across while searching through boxes for some climbing gear. I set the photographs on a cardboard box and snapped a picture of them with my cellphone.....

Alan.....I thought the same thing which is why I tested out the name. Tanner didn't pay much attention to it but then he likes to ignore his name as well.....he's always on the move. Actually neither of the dogs paid much attention to it nor to me either for that matter.....all they want is to wrestle & swim all day long.....

Riversdad.....yep.....

Sierra Valley.....those memories are so important & special to me.....I wouldn't know how to even come close to explaining what it all means.....thank you.....

tgil.....it's been decades of it.....

ITTOG.....thanks. Hey I'm curious if you've seen YouTuber Andrew Muse ? I ask because he built his own truck camper and I think you might enjoy watching his build videos. Actually everyone that likes Golden Retrievers & truck campers, and outdoor activities should check his VLOG out. He was actually a member here on XP but.....for reasons I can't imagine why.....members here seem to have ran him off with hateful comments.....

Arjan.....thanks.....Trapper has been an amazing addition to our little team. I've really taken notice at how well she is fitting in. I can see & feel her comfort level grow by the hour. Dogs have such a positive effect on man.....I can't imagine living without at least one.....

MORE ALASKA BUT NOW I GO REALLY REMOTE.....

One might think that living at a remote homestead in Alaska should just be remote enough for a young traveler but actually it wasn't. And then there was also the issue with needing some income. I had been taking short term jobs wherever I happened to stall during my travels.....that was back in the day where we didn't have Patreons to help fund our travels.....

I can recall it like it was yesterday.....it was probably 7 a.m. or so and the new to me boss man says if you can be at the Anchorage airport at noon you can have the job. Apparently a crew chief was a no show so the vacancy that I had hoped & applied for was actually given to me. I scrambled to find a friend to keep my dog (which very, very sadly I would never see again) and to find a place to store my rig, and I got it done, and so it was that at noon I was on an airplane headed into the Alaskan bush to work.....

I flew over lands so beautiful that day.....I had no idea such beauty even existed.....

Screenshot_20210207-064919_Gallery_copy_1600x778.jpg

Screenshot_20210204-140647_Gallery_copy_1600x3288.jpg

Never again would I ever in the remaining years of my life have another job as spectacular as this.....there were no roads here.....no cell phones nor internet (it was the 70's so.....). There was no contact whatsoever for us worker guys with the outside world.....

Screenshot_20210207-064807_Gallery_copy_1600x778.jpg

Screenshot_20210204-140405_Gallery_copy_1600x3288.jpg

We spent months living here at a lakeside lodge.....working along pristine lakes & rivers, on mountain tops with views that went on forever & ever and deep down into valleys and everywhere we went was filled with wildlife such as sheep, moose, grizzly & black bear, and wolves.....we typically worked 16 hour days.....7 days per week.....

Screenshot_20210207-064558_Gallery_copy_1600x778.jpg

The mode of travel here was either by helicopter or by foot. We had a float plane too but that was typically only used when the lodge owner flew out for supplies. Several evenings during that engagement when we knocked off early, the lodge owner would take a few of us out and we would fly out to view the Alaskan bush for many more miles & miles.....it was sensational .....

Screenshot_20210204-140630_Gallery_copy_1600x3288.jpg

We were young and crazy back then.....there was nothing we couldn't nor wouldn't do.....

20200906_101708_copy_1600x900.jpg

There were 2 chopper pilots that we used as our Uber drivers. These guys were the best of the best...just typing that one line here brought an instant smile to my face as the fond memories return. It might sound dramatic to say this here, but our lives depended on the flying skills of these 2 chopper pilots. One pilot was older and had flown during the Korean War (he kept a machine gun in his chopper) and the other was younger and had flown during the Vietnam War (he kept a double barrell shotgun & a pistol in his chopper).....

20200906_101716_copy_1600x900.jpg

The skids on the choppers had tool boxes mounted on them and often we would ride in those tool boxes and the Vietnam Veteran pilot just loved racing down river valleys at high speeds.....it was absolutely amazing ! And we were well paid too.....

Screenshot_20210204-140611_Gallery_copy_1600x3288.jpg

I can remember a few times when we were stationed in one location and the chopper pilots would corral grizzly bears and force them in our direction to give us a good scare.....and I can tell you that it worked everytime. My crew was made up of me and my hippie assistant out of southern California.....

Screenshot_20210204-140445_Gallery_copy_1600x3288.jpg

I was fairly crazy in those days but not quite as crazy as my hippe assistant. I honestly don't know how I lived to tell these stories today. Climbing out of a chopper onto a tree top probably isn't considered safe behavior but we did what we did. Twice during that engagement my hippie assistant nearly cut his leg off (slight exaggeration here but only slight).....

Screenshot_20210204-140506_Gallery_copy_1600x3288.jpg

Some days were tranquilo and we might have been stationed along a remote river or a mountain top.....time slowed to a crawl and I loved every second of that life.....

20200906_100929_copy_1600x900.jpg

I would say that I became a man while in Alaska.....and it was good.....

20200906_102046_copy_1600x900.jpg

Eventually I returned to the Lower 48 and my rig was in sorry, sorry shape when I crossed the Canadian border. The AlCan Highway had eaten my rig too. My pockets were lined with my freshly earned cash (we never spent a penny of our earnings.....the company paid for everything). I unloaded nearly everything I owned, limped into a car dealership and traded in my rig. I headed for California next, lived in my tent with just a few changes of clothes, a cook stove, a sleeping bag and a one man tent.....there was little space in the new "expedition vehicle".....

20200906_102716_copy_1200x2133.jpg

Those were the days my friends.....

MOUNTAINEER & MOTIVATIONAL SPEAKER ALAN ARNETTE ENDS EVERYONE OF HIS BLOG POSTS WITH THESE WORDS.....

"MEMORIES ARE EVERYTHING"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier