My Journey

Have a lot of friends that have been camping in the mountains of New Mexico, so you need to check that out. It appears you would be fine. Most of them traveled from neighboring Texas
Our problem is that we’re in a 38’ motor home, towing a Jeep, both with Florida plates. Very difficult to stealth camp.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Our problem is that we’re in a 38’ motor home, towing a Jeep, both with Florida plates. Very difficult to stealth camp.

Not sure what you mean by “stealth camping”, but what we out west call boondock camping is legal in most national forests. The USFS calls it dispersed camping and they provide free maps that show areas where it’s permitted. With a rig your size the best way to do this would be to unhook the Jeep and scout out a spot or several. Be sure to be prepared for very slick roads when wet. Avoid all travel on dirt roads when wet, but you should be ok with just the Jeep. But at times even with 4wd these back roads become impassable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

longhorn1

Observer
Jerry, that is awesome stuff, but more important, a lifetime of memories and to make climbs with your son, there just really isn't anything better. We are in Western Nebraska, Colorado tomorrow and for the next month.

Not sure what you mean by “stealth camping”, but what we out west call boondock camping is legal in most national forests. The USFS calls it dispersed camping and they provide free maps that show areas where it’s permitted. With a rig your size the best way to do this would be to unhook the Jeep and scout out a spot or several. Be sure to be prepared for very slick roads when wet. Avoid all travel on dirt roads when wet, but you should be ok with just the Jeep. But at times even with 4wd these back roads become impassable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess stealth camping was the wrong term. We have been boondocking and moochdocking our way across the country.
With New Mexico’s travel restrictions, we just didn’t want to get into any conflicts in the state because of our Florida plates.
All of the state parks are closed to out of state visitors, and we really loved some of the parks we stayed at last year. We’re in the Grand Mesa area now and heading down to the Telluride area on Sunday, then Durango and working our way East on 160. When we hit the “flats” (east of 25) our time in the west is done for this summer. Next year is Montana, Idaho, Washington, and maybe...north to Alaska!
I don’t want to derail Jerry’s wonderful story. So let’s keep this about his journey.

ITTOG

Well, that is alarming for your followers. I don't recall you being much of a jokester.

Regardless you know all of us support you and will be waiting for you to return to your nomadic life.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

jvsontheroad

I thought I'd let readers of this blog know that I've taken a position with a non profit and will quit posting for awhile. Thanks to all.....
[/QUOTE

Jerry, an awful lot of people, including me, will miss your posts. Want to share a little info on the type of organization, mission etc with
your followers? Good luck and best wishes going forward.

Jack in Bonita

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles