My Journey

Riversdad.....I had something similar happen in my life several years ago. A disagreement of what is right and what is wrong ended a friendship that had lasted for decades. My best friend was without a doubt the best human being I've ever met.....that was indeed a painful loss. Tanner & I will continue to lay low and try to stay away from mankind as much as we possibly can. Heck, we've been doing that even before coronavirus reared its ugly head.....

One of the beauties of laying low in one spot for several weeks is that there seems to be more reading time available. I finally finished reading The Explorer authored by Frances Parkinson Keyes. This was a difficult read as it was written many years ago. It was interesting to say the least.....the story of adventure in the search for a lost Inca city takes place predominantly in Northern Virginia, the jungles of Peru, and also included a little of New England......

20200626_111733_copy_1600x778.jpg

Our visits into Bozeman were fairly rare.....I first came here nearly two decades ago and the changes here are drastic.....and the changes are not so good.....

20200623_112133_copy_1200x2469.jpg

There are just too many people here and they continue to come by the hundreds.....and then the numbers turn into the thousands.....

20200623_112327_copy_1200x300.jpg

I only saw one protester here.....and that's a good thing in my mind. Honestly I'm just tired of all the disfunction in our world.....and all the hate that goes with it. I just need a rest from it all.....

20200623_144042_copy_1200x2469.jpg

I find no solace in the church.....

20200623_114308_copy_1200x2469.jpg

The neighborhood market brings a brief respite from all the worlds turmoil.....nothing better to make a vegetarian smile than a stand full of organic vegetables.....

20200623_164524_copy_1200x583.jpg

Old trucks are great too and they tend to put a smile on my face as well.....

20200624_140450_copy_1200x2469.jpg

.....especially the ones that make for great escape / adventure vehicles.....

20200623_142554_copy_1200x583.jpg

I met a friend in town for coffee one evening.....it turned out that I wished I hadn't. It took ten days and $800, but we are now back to normal.....

20200613_200713_copy_1200x2469.jpg

I sure will miss my stickers.....they too tell a story.....

20200613_200726_copy_1200x2469.jpg

Riversdad

Pretty amazing this is your first bear damage after all the years you've been on the road. Now that you have that out of the way the rest of your journey should be golden, at least one can hope. At least I hope it was a bear and not some moron!

Last edited:

ITTOG

You packed a lot in this post.

I was surprised to see the open market. They have been closed in most the south for a while. A lot of dairy farmers and ranchers have been having to "dispose" of their product because they didn't have room for it.

Like you I like the old trucks. The first even has a hard sided pop up. Very cool. The cab over on the second one looks 8' tall. I guess they put bunk beds up there.

Glad you got to see your friend but sorry for the break in. Since it was in town I immediately thought human. But then I remembered where you are the bears come in to town for coffee as well. Glad you got it replaced already.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Like ITTOG, that was a lot to absorb in that last one Jerry. I always feel like there are stories within the stories that you post. Your comment about laying low with Tanner after previous friendships and experiences definitely resonates. You also had previously mentioned in a post that you had an incident and almost lost Tanner if I remember correctly. Was that related to the camper break in? Hoping all is well now after whatever caused that.

I did get to see Idaho, Wyoming and Montana with my own eyes during my family trip that way. The extremely small glimpse I had of Montana only cemented what I already knew and what you have said about it in many of your posts. I know people are moving there and the population is growing in many areas, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't seriously contemplating trying to make that move myself and finish raising my kids there.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I’ve lost track of all my bear encounters. But they never broke into my rig although they tried to run away with my food box several times. The one I have now is pretty close to bear proof and I attach a cable to it for two reasons: he won’t get far and I’ll hear the noise.

I’ll bet Jerry’s breakin was a two legged bum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Jerry your not alone in the COVID is real camp?. Its hard staying away from family and friends especially with young kids. I think that the crack down ie SIP was effective before we saw wide spread infections and losses. As a result for most people they had no direct experience with COVID. Only the negative impact of the shutdowns so here we are today seeing some grim numbers. A big part of the Recent infection spread are being tracked to small friends and family gatherings. All my doctor and infectious diseases peeps are saying 2 yrs of risk and precautions and the sooner we just realize this isn’t a summer annoyance the better off things will be later.

Stay safe everyone wear the stupid mask. I’m not a fan either but it is what it is..

Riversdad, mekcanix, Ace.....I was in town having coffee with a friend at the time (outdoors of course) and I can't say for sure how it happened. I have my suspicions but I'm liking the bear idea quite a bit. It was nothing more than a costly nuisance really. Northern Lite got me a replacement door in ten days.....typically it takes 6 weeks from the factory and then 3 more weeks to ship from Canada. Northern Lite sold me one of their in stock doors and loaded it onto a truck camper delivery truck that was headed to Texas free of charge (typical shipping fee is $300). Then there just happens to be a Northern Lite dealership 15 minutes away and I assisted in the installation and they liked me (that's an assumption and it was never said.....let's be clear about that) so that too was free of charge ! I'm currently back at my friends place (just passing through on my way to a hidden not well known place) and yesterday the neighbor came over to tell me that her son (who I knew) had been killed in an automobile accident the day before. That certainly puts my loss into perspective.....

ITTOG.....yes I agree.....there were quite a few subjects mentioned in that last post.....it was time to move on.....this post should bring balance back to the blog.....

blanketslayer.....it's often a struggle to convey what my life on the road is really like in a limited number of words. My goal is always to keep my posts at a minimum so that readers can have a quick peek during their busy days. You are so right.....there are often stories within the stories that are never told. I thought about you and your family often.....wondered how your trip was going. I don't blame anyone for wanting to move to Montana.....it's amazing country. I wish I had raised my children here.....that's a regret.....I'd say go for it.....you owe nobody an explanation or an excuse or an apology for doing what's right for your family.....

calicamper.....the virus scares the hell out of me and I always wear the mask when indoors in public places. My goal has been and will continue to be.....stay out of public places as much as possible. I've actually kept count and I've been in a store 20 times in the past 125 days. The lifestyle I have chosen is a double edged sword.....typically it's easy to be away from people yet I have no support group should I get sick. And what would happen to Tanner should I be hospitalized.....terrifying.....

DAY ONE THOUSAND

One thousand days on the road.....and this is my life told in three simple pictures.....

20200701_153301_copy_1200x583.jpg

20200702_154408_copy_1200x2469.jpg

20200702_161245_copy_1200x2469.jpg

84Undecided

Congratulations Jerry on 1000 days! It hasn’t been easy...
I would personally like to thank you for the 600+ days of entertainment!
Also thanks to everyone who does comment, its been nice following your perspectives as well. I feel I should comment more but I am often reading behind. This blog to me, is kind of like a piece of art that I don’t want to mess up.

Congratulations again. I can't wait for you to share the next ? days, on or off the road.

longhorn1

Observer
The place is Vipond Park in the Pioneer Mountains. You can get up there off 43 and I-15 to Dewey. Sleep amongst the lodgepole pines, beautiful wild flowers. Numerous mines to explore, in fact you will pass a big one on the way up. Foy also posted previously with more details. Google Vipond Park?

Last edited:

ITTOG

For someone that is stuck at home working, your three pictures look amazing. I hope they are as amazing to you as to those that follow you. God bless you for helping us make it through the week.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

tgil

I've thought about you many times in the past week, but being on vacation, I haven't slowed down long enough to catch up on your latest.
Sucks about the camper door! When I first saw it, I thought I was seeing fire damage. Glad it wasn't fire again, but hate when people can't leave other's stuff alone. Hopefully it was a bear!
Scout, my daughter and I are running around in the mountains of Colorado. I've seen so many spots that I think, "I could see Jerry holed up here for a bit!" and other places that I think, "what an epic spot, but Jerry would never drag his rig up here!"
Scout absolutely loves the mountains, and the freedom of being off leash! Because many of us that follow you are dog people, I'm going to share a few pics.
The sunset is my favorite. We had driven the Jeep up into the mountains and had a front row seat, with no one else in site!
ab57df375fcdd2f83a0c60709d25230d.jpg
f55a79c436eb61593a743873153caad2.jpg
aac5c8fe136e51579ba931c66fd80cf7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

beanco

I am stuck at home following along and dreaming of getting out west again. Any post with pictures of mountains and dogs makes me happy.:)
THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO SHARE YOUR TRAVELS WITH ALL OF US.
Ben

84Undecided.....thanks for posting and taking the time to share. I always appreciate any and all input and there is no need to be concerned about messing anything up. The blog to me is kind of like casual dress Friday.....and it's definitely better when people participate.....

JD.....thanks I'm going to Google it tonight. Unfortunately I'm long gone from the area.....

ITTOG.....hang in there.....one day you will be old and unemployed just like me.....

tgil.....the sunset picture is simply amazing.....I've had many opportunities in my life, many incredible experiences, but nothing even comes close to the times I spent with my 2 sons. Here's a picture of one of my sons I keep taped to the camper closet door. This is one of those times where my son was probably saying "living another one of Dads dreams".....

20200709_184806_copy_1600x778.jpg

Ben (beanco).....it's really a pleasure to share and record my travels. I know it's difficult to be on the east coast when the Rockies are calling. I too was there years ago.....staring out the office window wondering when it will all end.....the mountains are always calling.....

Ace.....cool pic ! Was that taken recently ? Still that much snow there in Colorado ?

And today I share with you something that I'm yet to understand. Months ago I etched into the layers of dust that cover my stovetop my 3 dogs names. Every so often I run my index finger through the letters as the dust is continually accumulating.....

20200709_185945_copy_1600x778.jpg

After posting on XP on my one thousandth day I was sitting at the kitchen table just day dreaming really.....not sure what was on my mind at that time.....not that it really matters I guess. And then I happened to look up at the ceiling and this is what I saw.....

20200706_171246_copy_1600x778.jpg

Now that has got to be the craziest thing I've seen for sometime. Why did this happen on Day One Thousand of my wanderings ? I've never seen this before. And why was it that only Yukons name reflected on the ceiling ? I can't help but think that something very unusual happened that day in the camper.....I'd like to think that Yukon reached out to me to say congratulations.....still living your dream old man.....miss you.....

20200706_170459_copy_1600x778.jpg

Crazy old man ? Yea maybe.....but I hope not.....

20200224_125255_copy_1200x2469.jpg

And so the search was still on for my Montana log cabin. I had put contract offers on two cabins.....I got neither. Prices are sky high right now and people (way too many) are coming to Montana with big bags of cash. A contract had fallen through on a log cabin in Mission Valley so we backtracked 250 miles to have a look. This cabin was the near perfect log cabin.....20 acres fenced and cross fenced, nice 2 story barn, and a pond right out the back door.....views to kill for. My agents phone rang just as we stepped inside the log cabin.....it was the listing agent saying that the sellers had accepted an offer.....

We once again made the overnight stop in Missoula, Montana and slept in a Walmart parking lot.....this was our neighbor......

20200702_102527_copy_1200x583.jpg

.....and the couple that occupied it lived with 8 dogs.....and I thought I loved dogs.....

20200702_101627_copy_1200x583.jpg

We walked around town.....still a bit depressed.....

20200701_174031_copy_1200x583.jpg

.....the following day we drove east.....stopped somewhere along the highway where I took this picture.....I liked it.....

20200702_133419_copy_1200x2469.jpg

Sometimes sugar & a dog is all it takes to heal those wounds.....

20200628_191159_copy_1600x778.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles