My Journey

Arjan.....getting ready to hit the road.....just for you.....

20190718_155845-1200x2469.jpg

Ace.....you're not missing much.....

Tgil.....the latest is.....

Now we have moved into "ready to hit the road" mode. I've got to say that I've got some mixed emotions this time. Most of my summer vacation in Montana was great.....although I thought it odd that my summer vacation included working. I did have a scare during the month of July.....a morning coffee with friends (one a medical doctor and the other a psychiatrist) convinced me to get a physical which then led doctors to think that cancer had returned to my body. That sure sucked but after 30 days, a bunch of tests and a biopsy, I was cleared. I also put an offer in on an old cabin (constructed in 1949) but that offer was not acceptable to the sellers.....

20190818_193200-1600x778.jpg

20190727_112919-1600x778.jpg

My garden finally began producing vegetables.....and I liked that.....

20190821_100332-1200x2469.jpg

The hard work in the yard was well liked.....

20190805_094948-1600x778.jpg

I've always loved the sky and the cloud formations.....this summer has been phenomenal.....

20190818_060840-1600x778.jpg

So it's almost time to say good bye to all my friends.....

20190823_071106-1600x778.jpg

Lots of horses in Montana of course.....my buddy Bo is really going to miss me.....and I will miss him. Often I hang out at the fence feeding him handfuls of my green grass or apples from my hoarder buddies property.....

20190823_194815-1200x2469.jpg

And of of course I'll miss my hoarder buddy and no doubt he will miss me and the dogs.....

Screenshot_20190821-102604_Gallery-1200x2467.jpg

The plan is to be on the road in a few days.....

Screenshot_20190726-212121_Gallery-1600x778.jpg

tgil

Good to see an update, even if it is about leaving an area you obviously love. That cabin looks sweet! Maybe they will decide to reconsider and you can get back there soon? Your lifestyle, on the road, is so intriguing to me. When I travel, I know if is just a short trip. Someday...hopefully!
Good to hear the scare was for nothing!
You will obviously be missed by critters and folks too, but hopefully will get back there before too long.
Safe travels. Keep keeping on!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I am getting ready for a “no-dog trip”. I’m going into the Maze and the park service says no dogs. Already getting blue to leave Kenda in a kennel for ten days.
00c471f2d454cf700aa0e9146217e69f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sierra Valley.....short term (the next 2 weeks) I have a fairly solid plan but beyond that I only have ideas floating around in my head. It might get interesting but then again who knows.....

Tgil.....more on the cabin below.....

JD.....thanks so much.....aren't you headed to Montana shortly ?

Ace.....so the Maze that I'm familiar with is in Arizona and it's a day of hiking in a canyon with amazing rock formations. I'm curious where the Maze is that you are going ? Obviously a different Maze that I'm thinking about. I've never done the kennel thing but I'd be blue as well.....

I've been on the road now for a few days.....it's good.....

Something interesting happened to me before I pulled up the stakes and I'd like to record / share it here.....it's about that cabin. The sellers and I did indeed reconnect (through our agents) and we did come to a verbal agreement on a price but when it came time to sign the agreement I found that I couldn't go forward. I knew that if I signed that agreement my days of traveling would pretty much cease as the sales price was right at my limit (no money left for traveling)...maybe even causing me to get a job.....

I found my heart rate soaring and my Fitbit confirmed what I felt. My anxiety was off the charts as I felt that I was trading my freedom to do as I please for the luxuries of living in an old Montana log cabin.....and I just couldn't do it. My agent and friend of 10 years no longer talks to me since I backed out.....she was quite furious to say the least.....

I've ALWAYS said that my successes in life and the monies that I made never brought me happiness.....they simply brought me freedom. That day, that experience.....it reinforced my feelings and proved to me how much I really do appreciate and value my freedom. I lost a good friend over this and that was tough, I lost an amazing cabin and that was tough as well. I retained my freedom and I guess you could easily say that I value freedom over friends and things.....

And so it is that I'll continue this way of life on the road.....

20190831_072101-1600x778.jpg

20190831_072130-1600x778.jpg

We are back to our old ways.....driving down the road and thinking damn that's a nice spot to cool off.....

20190901_145441-1600x778.jpg

20190901_145439-1600x778.jpg

Taking the time once again to cherish the smaller things in life.....

20190901_150951-778x1600.jpg

20190901_153158-1600x778.jpg

We're back on the trails once again.....here on these trails I think about my summer vacation.....it was good.....but it is here that I know that freedom is happiness.....

20190901_180209-778x1600.jpg

20190901_185058-1600x778.jpg

And that dogs are truly man's best friend.....

20190901_185225-1600x778.jpg

So we here we go on our next adventure.....life on the road.....

20190825_155657-1600x778.jpg

Last edited:

tgil

My agent and friend of 10 years no longer talks to me since I backed out.....she was quite furious to say the least.....
I hate to hear this, but have to admit I chuckled out loud. I've often heard friends/family and money don't mix. If the value of your friendship truly was much, she will be back around. I had a similar situation a few years ago with a real-estate agent/friend. That relationship is strained, but we are still happy to see each other when our paths do cross.
I'll borrow a quote from the "Life is Good" folks: "Do what you love, Love what you do!" I think it's safe to say, this is your LIFE, and it IS GOOD!
Keep on keeping on!

GregSplett

Adventurer
I gave the freedom you speak off up for a woman who I love dearly. I will never leave her. She does not believe that. Every time I pack up the camping van for a solo trip you can see the concern in her face and hear it in her choice of words. especially the last few months as we lost two of our dogs in two short weeks and she announced that her bleeping mother is moving in. I gave up trying to convince her. Sorry for the strain between you and your friend.Kind of reminds me of the old western where the cowboy rides off into the sunset all alone and free.... Mans got to do what a mans got to do.

furbucket

Observer
People get mad, if she’s a true friend then some time should be all it takes for her to figure out friendship is worth more than a sales agreement...
Other thoughts- I recall how unhappy you were with that monstrous camper, and you were still somewhat mobile with that beast. I don’t know you, and can’t imagine how you’d feel being tied to fancy cabin on some fancy land- but I bet your heart and your Fitbit steered you in the right direction. Perhaps a piece of ******** fixer on a nice piece of land is a better option; especially since you seem quite happy with, and quite good at doing things yourself. Maybe that route would still afford you savings enough to travel half the year?

Sent from an evil pocket calculator with a flashy screen using Tapatalk

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I had a similar situation occur last year.

I was having a telephone conversation last October 2018 with a 40+ year college fraternity brother friend who lives near me that I would talk to on the telephone at least 3-4 times every week. Apparently he did not like a comment I made and hung up on me. Ok that's his choice. Did not speak with him the rest of the week. Saw him the very next weekend at our local weekly Cars & Coffee. I saw him and made a point to immediately say Hi, he said Hi, was cordial and we talked for 15 minutes with no mention of the telephone call in which he hung up on me. Have not spoken with him since! He has not called me and I have not called him. He hung up on me so being the dumb SOB I am I figure he can call me back if he's interested.

My friend (?) is a big car guy with nothing to do as he does not work and LOVE'S to go to the weekly Saturday morning Cars & Coffee. I go most every weekend to Cars & Coffee and I have never seen him at Cars & Coffee since then! I have asked any number of our other mutual friends and confirmed that he has not spoken with them and they have not seen him since at Cars & Coffee since then. Given how big a car guy he is and with nothing else to do this is Weird at the very least to me that he would quit the car hobby cold turkey!

He did forward an email last month in August 2019 about changes at our fraternity house at Vanderbilt where we went to college. I responded quickly and told him thanks for the email update.

No telephone call or email since them from him and no I have not made any effort to contact him!

Ironically I do not remember what the conversation was about the must have really pissed him off.

I guess ya never know what the other person is really thinking!

Last edited:

longhorn1

Observer
Yep, September 19th can't come quick enough. Hoping for dry weather for our drive on the Gravely Range Road and Centennial Scenic Byway. Heard it was slippery when wet. Sometime things happen for the best. Freedom is important. You will find that place that allows both. Keep on trucking. jd

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
The Maze is I was referring to is in Canyon Lands in Utah. No dogs allowed there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tgil

I had a similar situation occur last year.

I was having a telephone conversation last October 2018 with a 40+ year college fraternity brother friend who lives near me that I would talk to on the telephone at least 3-4 times every week. Apparently he did not like a comment I made and hung up on me. Ok that's his choice. Did not speak with him the rest of the week. Saw him the very next weekend at our local weekly Cars & Coffee. I saw him and made a point to immediately say Hi, he said Hi, was cordial and we talked for 15 minutes with no mention of the telephone call in which he hung up on me. Have not spoken with him since! He has not called me and I have not called him. He hung up on me so being the dumb SOB I am I figure he can call me back if he's interested.

My friend (?) is a big car guy with nothing to do as he does not work and LOVE'S to go to the weekly Saturday morning Cars & Coffee. I go most every weekend to Cars & Coffee and I have never seen him at Cars & Coffee since then! I have asked any number of our other mutual friends and confirmed that he has not spoken with them and they have not seen him since at Cars & Coffee since then. Given how big a car guy he is and with nothing else to do this is Weird at the very least to me that he would quit the car hobby cold turkey!

He did forward an email last month in August 2019 about changes at our fraternity house at Vanderbilt where we went to college. I responded quickly and told him thanks for the email update.

No telephone call or email since them from him and no I have not made any effort to contact him!

Ironically I do not remember what the conversation was about the must have really pissed him off.

I guess ya never know what the other person is really thinking!
It's interesting, as grown adults, how petty we can be. I will add another experience of mine. Short story, is two of my formerly closest friends passed away while we weren't speaking. One from cancer, the other unexpectedly. The second was a girl I considered my best friend since high school. We had a disagreement about a comment I made while I was going through a divorce. It had been years since we had talked almost every day. She had reached out to me in September to wish my daughter a happy b-day. I did the same the following month for her b-day and less than a week later, she was gone. Life is too short to let things come between friends.

tgil

The hunters said that the wolves were right outside their tent and they had fired a shot through the tent ceiling to scare them away (these were good ole' boys for sure.....camo truck, trailer, clothes.....you get the picture).
Hilarious! I'm slowly making my way to catching up! This was back in 2015.
I knew nothing about cattle drives prior to this but what I can tell you now is that cattle must **** the entire time they walk. The road was green with **** ! Of course it's all over the jeep, truck and camper......and Yukon's face since she insisted on hanging her head out the window as all dogs love to do.
I'm ROFL! Either I'm in a goofy mood today or you were just on a roll with these posts!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94