My Journey

Hey Clay.....everything is fine. I just made a decision not to post anymore at the moment.....but I'm still traveling.....as a matter of fact I'll always be traveling or thinking about traveling. After the Jeep was repaired in Anchorage we were right back out on the road exploring Alaska. The Jeep lost a brake lining and still needs a new windshield. The truck also lost it's windshield and we had a complete brake loss with the truck in the coastal mountains.....super scarey. But we are well and are enjoying our lives on the road.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

We spend our days mostly exploring, kayaking, hiking, or just hanging out with a good travel book. Probably my favorite day since my last post was my encounter with a mother black bear and her 2 cubs. What an amazing day that was......even though it ended with the mother charging after me ! As always.....I am very thankful.....

We took the northern route out of Alaska traveling along the Taylor Highway and the Klondike Highway. Of course we made a stop in Chicken, Alaska where I met some wonderful people and spent the afternoon hanging out.

image.jpg

image.jpg

And here's a few more pictures taken in the Yukon Territory. I paddled out to this island and did a bit of exploring. I'm always intrigued and amazed at what I find at these places that are seldom visited by humans or never have been visited by humans.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

I just love finding stuff. It seems as if every year my collection continues to grow. This year I've brought back skulls, antlers, various feathers, several pebbles and driftwood from the Arctic Ocean. Each of these are reminders of some event in my travels. Often when I'm in my home I take the time to enjoy them.....

Last edited:
Thanks Chuppie......at times it becomes a chore but I'm pleased that you have enjoyed it........

So Alaska was a lot of fun but it was time to move on. We made it as far north as we could, and about the same to the south as we explored the southern ocean ports. I loved Valdez and the mountain road into Valdez is unmatched. But it was time to move east and back into Canada and the Yukon Territory. We entered the Yukon on a cool, misty morning. My initial thought was that this would be a bad thing but it turned out to be just the opposite. The clouds were low and hung over the mountain tops which muted the colors of the mountainside and brought a whole new beauty to the scenery. I had heard good things about the Klondike Highway but you never know until you're able to experience it first hand......

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Klondike Highway is an unusual highway in that it runs along the ridges of the mountains as opposed a typical road which would run along the valleys and typically follow the flows of the rivers. At some point in the morning I decided to take a hike off the highway and explore the mountains. I encountered my first, and only, Caribou of the trip.....possibly the first of my life. What a curious animal he was. It was almost as if we played Hide and Seek with one another. Each time he would see me, he would duck below the ridge line, and I would do the same. But within minutes of him not seeing me he would again show himself and have another look at me. I couldn't help but wonder what an easy target he would be for a hunter and I wondered if they all behave this way. I also wondered why was he traveling alone. Anyhow, he lost interest first and eventually headed down into the valley......

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This picture best shows his curious nature.....

image.jpg

Sometimes I think I relate better to the animals than I do with people.....maybe because I spend so much time alone.....who knows.....

Last edited:
I think we spent (3) days traveling the Klondike Highway. It almost seemed as though the fall season was just about to begin in the mountains. It was spotty but there definitely trees and bushes changing colors. Maybe I should have stayed longer.....I'm just not sure. But in the end I was pleased that I'd taken the longer and more difficult route back to Whitehorse as it was well worth the effort......

image.jpg

image.jpg

After crossing the Yukon River on the ferry we made a stop in Dawson one day for lunch and fuel.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

It was in Dawson that I met this guy hitch hiking across Canada. He truly is an adventurer and I really admired him for what he had undertaken. He was from Quebec and crossed Canada by jumping trains and hitch hiking. He had amazing stories. I gave him a ride to the start of the Dempster Highway where I left him on the side of the road. He was headed north. If you aren't aware, the Dempster Highway is about (500) miles of nothing. I can't even imagine doing what he's doing. To be honest I sat there with him for quite sometime considering taking him up the road but in the end I kept on course.......

image.jpg

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
It's interesting what you said about relating with animals better than people. Some people I know, I would rather hang out their dog for an extended time. Continue your adventure.

For the most part........yes.......I get along much better with my dogs than I do people.......

Here's a few more pictures taken in Yukon and you can actually see the colors of the bushes beginning to change into their fall colors......

081.jpg 082.jpg

083.jpg 084.jpg

The remains of the cabins shown below had an interesting story. These were used as rooming houses for the travelers and the postal carriers in the early days and this was one of the last remaining cabins from that era. I'm thinking lots these days about building my own cabin so I had great interest in the construction of the cabins......

079.jpg 080.jpg

My encounter with this bear family will probably be my most memorable moment in my travels this year. I was driving along the Alaska Highway in British Columbia when I noticed them walking along the highway. There was little to no traffic as I pulled to the side of the road to watch them. They weren't the least bit alarmed and just casually walked along......

087.jpg

090.jpg

The first thing that was remarkable about this encounter was when the mother bear crawled into the culvert that ran below the road. And right behind her of course were the (2) cubs. Seconds later they emerged from the culvert on the other side of the highway. They began to eat grass and the cubs proceeded to attack each other as if they were play fighting. In the first picture you see the mother coming out of the culvert and the second picture is the last cub as he emerges.....

094.jpg

097.jpg

What was really amazing to me was that the mother bear took the cubs through the culvert several times......as if they she was training them on how to properly cross a high speed highway.

102.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

I found myself inching closer and closer.....actually feeling as if I was a part of what was happening.....and that's when the mother bear reminded me that I wasn't and she proceeded to charge after me. I hauled *** for my truck and was thinking "please passenger door be unlocked !". It was and I jumped into my truck, and she turned and took her cubs into the forest. I'm not sure how long it lasted but damn it was really, really nice.....

093.jpg

We traveled through British Columbia passing through Prince George once again. I decided to take the coastal route to Vancouver and what a beautiful drive that was. We camped in the forests, took long walks, and the dogs enjoyed the cool waters of the lakes and streams.....

107.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

The water here is so clear and beautiful. In places you could see trout in the pools. Of course we found great spots for camping and hanging out.....

110.jpg

111.jpg

As we entered the suburbs of Vancouver I realized that the remotest part of this trip had ended. We were back into busy highways with cars speeding by us......

ABCanuck

Adventurer
Hi jerry. Glad to share in your latest experiences. Not to hijack your thread but you mentioned your curiosity about that caribou being on his own.

While I'm no expert in caribou as their migratory behaviour is vastly different than elk or moose, I am guessing some of their herding aspects are similar.

By all appearances, that would be a young bull. Normally, the older or more dominant bulls will take charge of the groups of cows, especially now that they are getting close to rut (when the cows are in heat).

So the young fellas are pushed out and end up on a search for their own little group of gals. Guessing that's what your man was up to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior