My Journey

VicHanson

Adventurer
Hi Jerry, I'm at Lake Tahoe right now, will be here till next week sometime, then heading north again via Reno. Have to get new batteries for my truck, I'm using my camper batteries to keep it going for now. Do you know how far west you will be going? I plan on following the Pacific Crest Trail north to Canada, through OR and WA, but don't really have a time schedule yet. Would be good to see you if our routes overlap. No rain here! Actually we did have a light drizzle on Thursday morning, but not enough to help any.

Hey Vic.....I'm not sure about that. My original plan was to enter Canada around the first of July. I was going thru Calgary and then north. That's just not happening though. I'm having too much fun in Bozeman and I have no idea when I'll get out of here. I may do a few trips from here with a friend and use Bozeman as my home base so to speak. It'd be neat to meet up. Heck I think it's been maybe (5) years since we met in Peru. I got to get back there. How was your trip back ? Let's stay in touch and meet up......

So yea still in Bozeman and not a bad place to be. Last night attended an awesome outdoor concert at the library. Seems like there's always something going on in this town.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

ssr

Have been an inspired follower of you for some time now and happened to roll through Bozeman last night in my big White adventure van on my way home to Portland. I slowly drove by that library concert and got to thinking that Bozeman could easily be my home some day in the future. What a beautiful place!!

Safe travels and thank you for sharing your journeys with us.

Wainaha.....Bozeman has beautiful weather in the summer.

ssr.....well it's too bad you didn't pull out for a bit cause that band was very good. And maybe we would have met. I love Bozeman and if you were to end up here I can't imagine that you'd regret it. This is my 10th year visiting Bozeman, I was once a land owner here, and I would imagine that this is where I'll end up eventually. Thanks for your kind words.

So yea it's been a while since I posted but the fact is that I'm not traveling right now. I continue to make friends with good people and it just makes it difficult to move on. And I've learned so much more about this town. That being said, I don't have plans today so I'm thinking it might be a good day to move on......

Thursday Nights on Main Street.....they close the street and have live music and food.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

I was playing on the Internet and saw these, liked them, and since it's my blog I get to post them. Hope you like them as well......

image.jpg

image.jpg

And I did indeed leave Bozeman yesterday, and I might add it was with much reluctance. I've traveled all over the U.S. and (4) continents, and can easily say that there's not one other town that comes close to fulfilling my needs. I love Bozeman !

Just as I was pulling out of town I got a text message from friends asking me to come out to their property at Canyon Ferry to go boating and fishing. I was headed for Missoula but took a detour and headed northwest towards Helena. We never made it out in the boat but we did have a fantastic dinner with burgers, freshly caught Walleye, and a variety of salads and vegetables. Combined with great conversation it was a magnificent evening watching the sunset along the lake. You can't beat Montana skies (and I'm a sky guy). I agreed to be ready at 6:00 a.m. to go fishing this morning (I hate fishing). I slept in and the others are out on the boat as I type.

So I'm wondering what new adventures may come my way as I get back on the road......

Last night's camp......

image.jpg

Preparing the fish.......

image.jpg

These things are hell on the dogs feet. They're small and they're everywhere.....

image.jpg

And one more shot of our camp......

image.jpg

Last edited:
Wainaha.......I really do.

Yesterday's goal was Missoula and I made it here last night. I spent the afternoon in Helena and what a neat downtown they have. The old buildings are just beautiful and I enjoyed walking the streets with the dogs. Temperatures are rising in Montana !

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

We left Helena late afternoon and headed west on Route 12. (15) miles later at the top of the mountain I realized that a rear tire was nearly flat. Of course we had just made it to the top of the mountain, but I took the conservative approach and headed down the mountain to Helena. After airing it up we drove non stop to Missoula and this morning it's off to Les Schwab for a repair. The temperature topped out at 95 degrees yesterday. Not good....

image.jpg

Currently posting from the historic town of Wallace, Idaho. It's a small town with tons of character. We're actually camped underneath Interstate 90. Seems like an odd choice but with the temperatures continuing in the 90's, the shade provided by the highway (and the river being 50' away), it cools things down quite a bit.

image.jpg

I also want to check out a particular shop this morning so I wanted to be in town....last night while window shopping I found this place that looks amazing. Lots of antlers, big game, and what not.

image.jpg

image.jpg

But I guess I got ahead of myself a bit. I had (2) good days in Missoula. I did make it into Les Schwab the first day and it turns out that I had a nail, and not 3" away, a screw, in my tire. Those guys were great and didn't charge me a thing for the repair. Next was Jiffy Lube for an oil change, and replaced the fuel and air filters as well. I'm thinking Alaska is coming up soon. Missoula is a cool town with lots of shops so I hung out there and got myself some new hiking shoes. I talked with a few interesting people and overall had a nice visit.

The drive on the interstate between Missoula and Wallace is just gorgeous.

image.jpg

We took our time and spent the afternoon swimming in the Clark Fork. The high temperatures are causing a rapid melt off of the mountain snows which means ice cold water ! Yet so refreshing it is......

I watched the owners of these shoes drive off in their RV from the Walmart parking lot. I know that sinking feeling when you realize that you've left something behind.....

image.jpg

Last edited:
This afternoon I'm posting from under a great big old shade tree in downtown Sandpoint, Idaho. And you know what....there's just nothing like sitting under a great big old shade tree on a hot summer day. Damn it feels good ! Anyhow, after another slow start out of Wallace, Idaho, I only made it to Couer d'Alene, Idaho yesterday. Yesterday was totally uneventful but was a fun day. I had planned to cross into Canada today but once I saw this town I quickly changed plans. My first stop was Lake Pend Orielle. The water was awesome but the parking ticket I received sucked until I spoke with the police chief and he said "hey forget it". Nice guy ! We drove around the northern lake shore this afternoon as far as East Hope and then returned to Sandpoint for more long walks and more swimming. I've got my laundry going right now and life continues to be good. Hopefully Canada tomorrow ! I guess time will tell.....

Awesome truck parked in Sandpoint....

image.jpg

The lake from the north shore looking south.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

My view as I update XP.....

image.jpg

And a few more pictures at the downtown pier while I was on my evening swim.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Up this morning at 5 a.m. Coffee, oatmeal with fresh blueberries, orange juice, 1.5 hour walk along the lake shoreline, push ups, and an ice cold swim in the lake. What an incredible way to start the day ! I'm so thankful to be healthy and to have this opportunity to explore.....

The sun is rising.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior