My Journey

VicHanson

Adventurer
Hey Jerry,

Glad to hear you are back on the road again and the truck problem was quickly taken care of. I must be near your (old?) home, I am in Charles Town, WV right now. Went into DC yesterday and visited the Capital building and listened to the nonsense in the House and Senate for a little while. Now I am going to go do some more hiking on the AT, I have been day hiking sections as I cross the trail. I'm on my way south, Charlotte, NC is my next stop to see friends. Then on Nov. 8th I will be leaving for a month in Peru! Going down on a mission trip and then staying over to visit friends in Cotahuasi and Arequipa, will be back in Florida about Dec. 9th. Anything special I should see in this area (that isn't closed for the shutdown)?

Vic

Wainiha

Explorer
Good poem from Byron.

The second pic of the dogs eyes makes me think you were eating something and he was asking for some.

He's looking up at you that way dogs do-so hard to say no.

After posting several days ago I decided to think more about what is next in my life, what is important in my life, as opposed to where I'm going. After giving it much thought, I decided it was time for me to go back to my home town and do some good. There's something I need to do. So here's what I'll be up to next...........

I have a friend back home and unfortunately he's not very healthy. You've seen his pictures on this thread. He's traveled with me (3) times over the past (2) summers. He's (20) years old and was he born with a sick liver. It doesn't function properly. He has many side effects from his disease and from the medications that he has been taking for the past (20) years which keep him alive. Eventually he will get a liver transplant, maybe soon. Several weeks ago he was in the hospital again. He's been quite sick since then and has continually been asking me when I'm coming home. Obviously we have a special bond. I've helped him with school, keeping his Jeep on the road, and in many other ways which really don't need to be mentioned. One of my close friends told me that I'm the rock in this kid's life. He's almost always in pain. Lately he's been having trouble walking......often he falls down. Last month he got a handicap parking sticker. He was thrilled to death to get that. This kid is a real trooper. I swear he rarely, if ever, complains. If I tell him how sad I am for him, he'll always say "nah......there's kids in the hospital way worse off than me. I'm OK". Despite all these hardships, he's a full time college student and works (20) hours a week to help his family out. I like to say that although he was given a ****ty liver, he was also given the heart of a dog, the best type of heart in the world. He's really an amazing person.............

So often when I travel I think that's it's all about me. Where do I go to make myself feel good ? Some people travel for years. I often thought that I would be one of those people. I mean, I could if I wanted. But it just never seems to work for me. I guess I prescribe to the old saying "too much of anything isn't good". I need to mix it up...........I plan to hang out with my buddy and we're going to work with labrescue.org.......my favorite charity. I'll be back on the road one day...........

Here's a picture of my friend at a local Friday night car show several weeks ago. He won first place. Most entrants spent the day washing and waxing their Porches, muscle cars, and sports cars getting their vehicles ready for the car show. He took his muddin !!

photo.jpg

To Everything
There is a season
And a time to every purpose, under Heaven

A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep

To Everything
There is a season

A time to build up,a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones, a time to gather stones together

To Everything
There is a season

A time of love, a time of hate
A time of war, a time of peace
A time you may embrace, a time to refrain from embracing

To Everything
There is a season

A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time for love, a time for hate
A time for peace, I swear it's not too late.

WORDS FROM THE BOOK OF ECCLESIASTES

Thanks for reading my posts............

Peace.............

#4.jpg

Last edited:

VtFly

And peace to you to Jerry. Expeditions take all shapes and forms, it appears your next journey will be most challenging and rewarding even though it requires no lift kits or at tires. You're altruistic behavior is an inspiration...Carry on.

Oklahoma guys......thanks for the invitations. I seem to have overlooked saying that. Obviously it won't happen this trip but I certainly am remembering you guys for the next road trip.

Conifers4.....thanks for your kind comment.

Vic.... I may sound like a teenager but there's nothing much for the traveler here when the museums shut down. Head for the mountains and the fall colors. Oh man I wish I was headed to Peru with you. Tell them the Gringo says hey.

Waniha.....nope, they were just hanging out when I took their photos.

VtFly......I hope I live up to that kind comment. Thanks.

So I made it home and have moved into my new temporary quarters. Where else but a Walmart parking lot ? Soon enough the house I bought before this trip will be available but for now it's living in a parking lot. My buddy was so happy to see me home......it's well worth the sacrifice.......

image.jpg

cellularsteve2

Adventurer
Hey Jerry, I have very much enjoyed reading your posts. Take care of your friend and yourself. Look forward to hearing from you down the line.

Peace.

Thanks Steve....

So this morning we were all asleep in the camper when we suddenly awakened when a pick up truck broad sided my rig. The other driver was taken away in an ambulance and I messed up my back. They've towed away his truck and mine sits here immobile. I can't let them tow mine since I'm still living in the camper. Ugh.......life at Walmart ! What to do now .......

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks guys but I'll be fine. My neck and back are sore but I'm sure it will go away with time.

Since I didn't want my truck towed, my insurance company said they'd be out here Friday for a look. Well that doesn't really work for me so I hired a mechanic to see if he could at least get me on the road. He's replaced the upper rocker arm which was broken, inner tie rod that was bent, rotor that was bent, and the brake pads which were damaged. Hopefully he will finish tonight although tomorrow he will weld on a brake lining bracket but that will be at his shop. Eventually it will need body work. It needs a fender and bumper for sure and I know it will need more. This has been one nightmare day and that's probably an understatement.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

brushogger

Explorer
How are things going? We're starting to get a little worried with the lack of regular posts. I hope there are no medical issues with you or the hounds after the wreck. Let us know if we can be of any assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sorry for not updating this sooner. The dogs are fine and my back is healing slowly. I've been busy trying to move into my new home and getting the body damage on my truck repaired. I've also been in touch with Dan at Rickson Wheel Manufacturing to get a new wheel and tire. I've just got to say what a great guy he is. He's always there to help me out. So yea, after (4) months on the road, and actually (2.5) more months this spring in the camper, it's a little odd living in a house again. But I love my very tiny home, just outside of Washington, D C. It actually seems large compared to the camper. My buddy has been visiting quite often and I swear he seems to be getting better. I sure hope that's the case. But I do know that he continues to struggle every day....he lives a life with pain. I plan to have a rescue dog hanging out with us soon. And I'm hoping to get a trip in to Nepal sometime in the next few months. Like you, I always dream of travel. I'm looking for balance.....I think. Thanks for the nice comments, thanks for following my travels, take care all......

My very tiny house.........

image.jpg

My buddy driving my John Deere tractor.........

image.jpg

john41686

Until now I never post on here, though I stop by this sight everyday. While I often don't take time to read every post, I enjoy the many pictures you post and have enjoyed seeing all the places you have been. Taking time to read a bit to day, I see you and your friend could use some prayer so I am sending some up for y'all today. Enjoy your posts, and hopefully that trip to Nepal will go as planned and make its way on here so I can see. Thanks for the thread....now back to the working world for me and maybe soon I'll be able to depart on an adventure of my own. Have a blessed day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles