My Journey

VicHanson

Adventurer
Wow, glad you didn't get stuck! I'm in New York, spent 2 days hiking in the Catskills, heading to the AT in Massachusetts tomorrow, to bag the state HP. Enjoy Moab! There is a neat back road from near Moab up to the White Rim drive or the Island In The Sky entrance to Canyonlands.

Thanks Vic.......I'll check it out.

Once we left Rock Springs, the plan was to continue south on Route 191 and our first planned stop would be Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area. Well, the bad weather continued to follow us so most of what we saw was from the truck window or short stops along the highway. The scenery changed drastically and I sure did miss those fall colors of northwest Wyoming.

image.jpg

Flaming Gorge Reservoir was pretty sweet and looked like it would make for some nice kayaking. I heard that the fishing there is outstanding.

image.jpg

We continued southwest and the road began to ascend into the Ashley National Forest and the scenery was more like the pictures I had posted of fall in the Green River Lakes area. I decided to camp in the national forest and found a forest service road near the summit of the pass over the mountain. My GPS said 8,300' roughly. It rained all evening and into the night, and it got real cold. I woke up in the morning and had trouble opening the camper door. After a good shove I was able to see that the storm had dumped a good bit of snow on us, I'd say (4) to (6) inches. I was lucky to have 4 wheel drive to get down that forest service road.

image.jpg

image.jpg

So today we made a stop in Vernal, Utah for a shower, groceries, and diesel fuel. We also stopped in Roosevelt, Utah and watched the homecoming parade through town. Maybe I'm a little corny, but I thought it was great. I love this small town stuff. The smiles on the faces of the adults and children made me feel good, really good actually. Tonight we are camped in a vacant lot in Helper, Utah.......it's still cold.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

We continued south on Route 191 making a few stops for more supplies. My favorite stop was in Green River, Utah. I stopped at a fruit stand and had the nicest conversation with the sweetest old lady. She gave me samples of all her melons and I left with an Israeli Melon and a Canary Melon. I'd never heard of them before but they have the best flavor.

image.jpg

image.jpg

As we continued south the temperature continued to rise and finally we were into the nice weather. We arrived in Moab, Utah in late afternoon and spent a few hours getting to know the town. For camping we drove west into the Manti-Lasal National Forest. Finding spots is quite difficult here and may cause us to have a short stay although there are places to visit and I'd love to kayak down the Colorado River. Tons of off road vehicles here. I liked this one in particular.

image.jpg

Tonight we went for a long walk in the dark and the stars were magnificent.

Last edited:
Yesterday was mostly a rest day for us. In the afternoon I got restless so we headed up into the mountains to see what was above us, and for me to get my tree fix. What we found was absolutely beautiful, but it sure got cold up there.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

In the evening we made a fire and cooked hot dogs and baked potatoes. Not bad if I don't say so myself. From our camp we have great views of Moab and the valley below us. After dinner we stayed outside and admired the stars for the longest time. It was another magnificent sky and the temperatures were about perfect.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks......

So we spent most of Monday in Arches National Park. I found Arches to be like many national parks.......lots of people.......lots of people in a rush. I think we missed most of the well known arches since we couldn't hike. But what we did see was quite beautiful.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

We found a few four wheel drive roads in the park so we explored them. That also allowed us to get away from the crowds and do some hiking. I'm always so thankful to have that old Jeep with me.

image.jpg

Last night we had another big fire and cooked the remainder of my trout and threw a couple more potatoes in the fire. I think it was even better than the previous night's dinner.

This morning I decided to move closer to town so we're in Split Rock Campground. This place is well known for mountain biking and rock crawling. I've seen some nice rigs here. These guy are camped close by. I may have a chat with them this evening. It appears they're world travelers.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last night I stopped by the campsite with the Land Cruisers. Nice bunch of people and I was glad to have met them.

This morning we headed over to the Colorado River. I ended up kayaking about (12.5) miles of it. Several parts of the trip were pretty exciting but overall it was a real slog. I've never been down a river like this before. So many weird currents, and with a steady, stiff headwind, it made the float a real chore. But looking back on it, it was fun and I'm glad I took the time to do it. The scenery was great !

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The plan for tomorrow was Canyon Lands National Park. Now that the federal government has closed all the parks, that isn't going to happen. So, not sure where to go from here......

Last night I decided to go east so we took Route 128 out of Moab towards I-70. The first (30) miles of that road is unreal beautiful. Once I connected with I-70 I drove east and stopped in Parachute, Colorado for the night. This morning we continued east on the interstate and got off at Glennwod Springs, Colorado. Then we took Route 24 into Aspen where I stopped for lunch. We continued further south and the fall foliage was outstanding. Then we made a huge loop stopping in Leadville, Colorado, and back onto I-70 east for a bit. We're now staying in a parking lot in Frisco, Colorado. Clouds have moved in and the forecast is for snow tonight and tomorrow.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

Woke up this morning with about 3" of snow on the rig. We got an early start to try to beat additional snowfall. When we hit Loveland Pass (elev. 11,991') it was a real blizzard. It made about (20) miles of the drive fairly scary. We made it into Denver and are continuing east at the moment.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

VtFly

Sounds about time to head very south, baja? Beautiful colors in the pics we are at peak here in VT. Keep sharing, your approach to a thoughtful, quality life is motivating. Peace

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,

There is a rapture on the lonely shore,

There is society, where none intrudes,

By the deep sea, and music in its roar:

I love not man the less, but Nature more.

Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

VtFly......Thanks.....I liked your post. Fall in Vermont is special. I love hiking there..........

So, yea, I drove right through Denver yesterday, and I just kept on driving. I was in that mood where it just felt good. So I drove and I drove..........I passed lots of nice spots to overnight but I wasn't ready to quit driving. I had the music blasting and it just felt right. Finally the sun was setting so I pulled over along the interstate in the middle of nowhere and we spent our first night in Kansas. But now I've got a mechanical problem with the truck so I'm just hanging out in Kansas waiting for the garage to open Monday morning. No problem.......I can keep busy here. I think this might be a good thing. Kansas would never be a destination for me. The people seem kind. I like it here...........

10-04-2013 Kansas.jpg

So, here we are at the local Starbucks in Salina, Kansas. The truck has been repaired with the assistance of the excellent staff at Conklin Chevrolet. They fit me into their busy schedule yesterday and they had me back on the road last night. I decided to stay here at the WalMart for a third night.

There's not much going on in Salina, Kansas. The wind blows constantly, either it blows hard or very hard, it seems as though it never ceases. I spent my days exploring around old town Salina, swimming at the YMCA, taking long walks with the dogs, or reading my book or reading CNN. I finished another book about a Peace Corps volunteer (I did that !) in China. Near the end of the book he included a poem which I liked very much and so I'll share it.

Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature's first green is gold,

Her hardest hue to hold.

Her early leaf's a flower;

But only so an hour.

Then leaf subsides to leaf.

So Eden sank to grief,

So dawn goes down to day.

Nothing gold can stay.

By Robert Frost

Now my dilemma...........where to go from here ? I literally have my U.S. map in my lap and am looking north, south, east, or west. I'm fairly certain that west is out as I'm not one to back track. But I've looked at this map now for (4) days and still haven't a clue. My next post will be a mystery to all of us. No pictures of Salina.........it's not a place that you'd take pictures. Every post needs a picture, so here's what I got.

The beautiful eyes of dogs.............

10-07-2013 Salina, Kansas #1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

Last edited:

ClayH

Adventurer
Head south into OK. SE Oklahoma has what we call Talamena Drive and the fall colors there are not quite the same anywhere I have ever traveled. Lots to do and see here actually. Lawton and Mt. Scott is in the SW (an hour from me) and the Ouachita Mt. range in the SE. a very diverse landscape in each corner of the state. And it wont snow here until late Dec. or Jan. if at all.

Last edited:

brushogger

Explorer
Head south into OK. SE Oklahoma has what we call Talamena Drive and the fall colors there are not quite the same anywhere I have ever traveled. Lots to do and see here actually. Lawton and Mt. Scott is in the SW (an hour from me) and the Ouachita Mt. range in the SE. a very diverse landscape in each corner of the state. And it wont snow here until late Dec. or Jan. if at all.

And you have dinner and fine brews awaiting! ;)
The Wichita mountains near Lawton are very unique and beautiful. The Wichitas and the Arbuckles are supposedly the oldest ranges in North America. Lots of good hiking trails but no off roading allowed there. Now SE Ok has lots of beautiful country. Mountains and pines with lots of trails. Western AR is gorgeous too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz