My Journey

I haven't a clue. Maybe what I thought ? Which was I'm glad I'm leaving soon cause I'm certain that there's tons of sheep poop out there. The dogs never made a sound..........just stood there and watched. It was a funny sight to see when I opened the door for them to go out. Anyhow, I took this picture for you. It was one of the sheep herder's working dogs. I think it's also a Newfoundland ?

09-07-2013 #3.JPG

So we headed out Saturday morning. It was a beautiful drive taking the Teton Pass road into Jackson Hole. I forgot to download a few pictures I took of the valley so I'll post them up next time. It was very nice from the top of the pass. Not much going on this weekend. Just hanging around Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Today the town had an outdoors festival so we spent the day there. They have a law against camping in your vehicle but I checked at the police station and they said that they probably wouldn't enforce it. So last night we parked along a street in town and nobody bothered us. That was pretty cool. It saved me from driving probably (15) miles to the national forest. I think we'll take a drive into Grand Teton National Park tomorrow.

And speaking of the Tetons, remember how I commented on the storm that hit on Friday and how it reminded me of my days climbing the Tetons. Well, a climber was killed on Friday. Here's a link if you're interested:

http://kdvr.com/2013/09/08/climber-dies-in-fall-at-grand-teton-national-park/

Here's a few shots of downtown.........

09-08-2013 Jackson Hole #1.JPG

09-08-2013 Jackson Hole #2.JPG

09-08-2013 Jackson Hole #3.JPG

09-08-2013 Jackson Hole #4.JPG

Pictures taken from Teton Pass into Jackson Hole valley. The second shot is taken 30 minutes later as I was letting the truck cool down. Horrible weather this morning. Hopefully it clears up later this morning. I finally put the shorts away yesterday and grabbed the jeans. Cooler weather in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Something well said I think........

image.jpg

xCSx

Adventurer
beautiful area! while not crazy, it seems like watching the sheep/having them outside your door must be a great experience

BushHead

Adventurer
The white herd dog is most likely a Great Pyrenees, wonderful thread you have here, I'll shut up again so you may continue :)

Matt

Yea the whole sheep thing was cool but the best part really was speaking with the sheep herders as I was leaving. There were (3) of them, all from Peru. They spoke no English but I can get by in Spanish. I spent some time climbing in Peru so I know their country.

Regarding the dog, I have no reason to doubt you. It was a huge dog so I just took a guess. Feel free to post here..........yours was funny. Thanks.

Things were looking bleak yesterday as the morning was socked in with a heavy fog & drizzle. I used that time wisely and spent the morning in the hot tub, swimming laps, and took a long, hot shower. By noon the fog had lifted and we were back on plan to go to the Tetons. It was great driving the Jeep with no top nor doors. The cool air felt so good. I saw hints of fall color in some of the lower brush along the creeks and I wouldn't doubt that this place will be in full fall colors within a week or two. I may hang out here a little longer than originally thought due to this. Oddly enough we (mostly the dogs) were photographed countless times throughout the day. It was weird, and actually got to be a little irritating but I stayed friendly through the entire day. I think people (and I don't exclude myself here) are just a bit too anxious to find an interesting picture these days (and I'm guessing that people saw that in our little rig). Plus it's so easy to just delete later on. Back in the day of film, this would never have happened. We were unable to hike since this is the National Park and that killed all of us. There's some great back country in that park. Most of the day was driving or walking along the park roads. We arrived back in Jackson Hole just before sunset and I spent the remainder of the evening at the recreation center repeating what I did in the morning. Not sure what's up next...........I know where we're headed..........just not sure when we'll leave town.

09-09-2013 Teton NP # 4.JPG

09-09-2013 Teton NP #1.JPG

09-09-2013 Teton NP #2.JPG

09-09-2013 Teton NP #3.JPG

09-09-2013 Teton NP #5.JPG

09-09-2013 Teton NP #6.JPG

09-09-2013 Teton NP #7.JPG

09-09-2013 Teton NP #8.JPG

We took our night walk through town...........

09-09-2013 Jackson Hole #1.JPG

ClayH

Adventurer
I have been to that bar. IIRC thats the one with saddles on post to sit on and the bar is covered with silver dollars under the thick layer of lacquer. You should go inside and check it out if you havent already.

I took a glance inside the bar but that's fine for me. It looks interesting.

Hey Vic..........what's up ? Hopefully you were only there for the night and moving on. I'm assuming that you're headed for the southeast now ? So, that whole thing with the sheep really reminded me our climbing trip in Peru. I have fond memories of that trip. To be more specific, remember that climb we did when the clouds moved in and we couldn't see a thing but we got out with the GPS ? On the way down we saw the herder on the horse ? That was a very good day. Here's a picture of that herder and of that mountain.

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0145.jpg

So nothing going on here in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and yes I'm still here and am still enjoying myself. This is the first time that I've actually enjoyed this town. Other than that nothing new to report...........

Our campsite............

photo.JPG

Since there's nothing new to add to my journal today, I thought I'd share this email that I received several weeks ago. This is from Mathias, one of the French students that I met traveling last year. It's published with his permission.

Hey Jerry,

It's been a long time now, but I thought I would give you some news! Actually I just came back from a 3-month trip in Alaska and the Yukon and at one point (on the Yukon River), I had this book you told me about: Desert solitaire, by Edward Abbey. It truly is a engaging book, with serious philosophical matters and concerns about nature and man's impact. I really loved it and one particular passage made me think about you, cause I remember you saying me almost those exact same words:

"We need a refuge even though we may never need to got here. We need the possibility of escape as we need hope."

Hope you're doing well buddy, it was great meeting you and as you can see, you did a good job being a source of inspiration yourself ;)

Cheers,
Mathias

Goat Rocks #31.jpg

Last edited:

brushogger

Explorer
Hey Jerry. We are really enjoying tour posts. If you happen to make it to Oklahoma pm me. We'll treat you to dinner and beer. Safe travels man. You're doing it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

ClayH

Adventurer
Hey Jerry. We are really enjoying tour posts. If you happen to make it to Oklahoma pm me. We'll treat you to dinner and beer. Safe travels man. You're doing it right.

Ditto this. You can camp at my place too if you like. I have 7 acres so lots of room to park where ever you want or up close to the house where you can plug in to power and water. And you can have a hot shower in the house.
I'm just a bit SW of Oklahoma City in the country. A little town named Tuttle.

brushogger

Explorer
Ditto this. You can camp at my place too if you like. I have 7 acres so lots of room to park where ever you want or up close to the house where you can plug in to power and water. And you can have a hot shower in the house.
I'm just a bit SW of Oklahoma City in the country. A little town named Tuttle.

Wow, small world! I'm in Norman. Ok Jerry. You're up to two dinners and beer now. ;)

I appreciate those offers. At the moment I don't have plans to lay over in Oklahoma but one never knows. I'll keep it mind for sure.........

Yesterday in the morning we took a drive south of town along the Snake River looking for nice stretches of the river to kayak. We stopped at several guiding shops to pick their brains. It's amazing how much conflicting information one can gather in a day and I finally decided that I'll wing it and I've got my launch spot and take out spot located. So, yea, the plan is to do some some kayaking this afternoon. The river is running fast, real fast right now. There's plenty of water in the river and more rain last night. It should be a good time. I am watching the weather this morning as more rain, thunder, and lightning is forecast for this afternoon.......I'm hopeful to get out.

In the afternoon we took a drive through the National Elk Refuge and into the National Forest north and east of town. We got great views of the Teton Ranges to the west as we were directly across the valley from the park. Again I was hopeful to see a bear or two, but no luck once again. We made it back to the camper just as dark set in..........

Shots of the Jeep in the mountains.........

09-12-2013 Cache Canyon #3.JPG

09-12-2013 Cache Canyon #5.JPG

09-12-2013 Cache Canyon #7.JPG

09-12-2013 Cache Canyon #2.JPG

Some views from the trails...........

09-12-2013 Cache Canyon #4.JPG

09-12-2013 Cache Canyon #9.JPG

09-12-2013 Cache Canyon #8.JPG

The last shot of the day............

09-12-2013 Cache Canyon #1.JPG

One more bear sign............

09-12-2013 Cache Canyon #6.JPG

richjeeps

Eagle
Hey Jerry

I'm curious....when kayaking how do you get from your take out location back to your launch point?

Thanks
Rich

ClayH

Adventurer
I appreciate those offers. At the moment I don't have plans to lay over in Oklahoma but one never knows. I'll keep it mind for sure.........
Oklahoma is never a travelers destination it seems but we have lots to see here. I have never heard anyone say "lets go on vacation to OK" lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94