My Journey

jvsontheroad

Jerry, I really enjoy following along. Some places I have visited, others I haven't. My list of spots to visit/revisit continues to grow.

Merry Christmas and many happy travels in the coming year.

Jack

Ace.....I didn't take the dogs down to the hot springs because the waters have Naegleria Fowleri in it and I wasn't sure how that might affect the dogs or if it does affect dogs and I wasn't willing to risk it. But they did get some good hiking in while we were there (as you will see).....

20181204_114004-1600x2133.jpg

Bluedog225.....thanks so much. Regarding your question, this current trip started October 12, 2017 so I'm just getting into the 15th month (if that's what you're referring to ?). I started the truck camper traveling July, 2005 but I've never done a trip lasting this long. This one has gotten out of hand ! Thanks for following along.....

JD.....thanks. Not sure where I'll be for the holiday week.....possibly (and hopefully) Mexico. Hope you have a great holiday as well.....

Jack.....thanks so much for taking the time to post up. I sure do appreciate that. I'm revisiting a lot of places on this trip and it's been interesting for me since I don't think I've ever traveled so slowly and I'm seeing so much more by traveling this way..... happy holidays.....

Of course I once again felt horrible leaving the dogs behind in the camper while I hiked in the mountains, and then soaked in the hot springs, so the three of us took a hike to the Liberty Bell Arch, and then beyond.....

20181205_075212-1600x2133.jpg

Starting from the same trailhead as the hot springs, we hiked several miles going up (as opposed to down for the hot springs) into the mountains.....

20181204_153116-1600x301.jpg

20181205_121045-1600x535.jpg

It was such a contrast from hiking into the slot canyons where my views were totally obstructed. Now we had totally unobstructed views for miles and miles.....

20181205_082348-1600x298.jpg

After several miles of hiking we approached the Liberty Bell Arch.....

20181205_083542-1600x687.jpg

It was pretty cool but honestly I wasn't super impressed.....

20181205_091151-1200x1600.jpg

Another mile of hiking beyond the Liberty Bell Arch took us to Colorado Overlook.....and I loved it here.....

20181205_085358-1600x3713.jpg

And I even think that the dogs loved it here. We just sat there up high on those cliffs, overlooking the Colorado River, and gazed out into the mountains. Once again.....magical.....all alone in our thoughts.....and I like that.....

20181205_085309-1600x449.jpg

The weather has been unsettled lately.....and as you well know that usually makes for a colorful sunset......

20181205_163036-1600x467.jpg

This too was a good place.....then we continued south.....

Last edited:

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
If you’re going into Baja I’ll be watching for you. I’m crossing at Mexicali East on December 27. First stop Pete’s Camp that afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ITTOG

Jerry I am so glad you have been on the road for 15 months. I greatly enjoy your photos and commentary. But I do hope you enjoy it as much today as when you started. I look forward to my phone notifying me of your updates. I think I am living vicariously through your travels.

I hope you and the dogs have a Merry Christmas.

PS don't forget to post,

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ace.....I've kind of stalled here in the deserts of northern Arizona but I'm certainly headed towards Mexico. I recently read online that all of Mexico has ULSD available and that's been one of my major sticking points with crossing the southern border. Will you be posting an ongoing trip report ? I'll hope to meet you and your gang along the way.....

ITTOG.....thanks for following along. I plan to continue posting up so long as I'm living the life on the road. Small correction.....I'm actually 14 months and 5 days traveling.....not quite 15 months. Regarding your question about my contentment with travel.....I love it as much as I ever have. But I am tired.....

From the hot springs, we jumped back onto Highway 95 and drove south until we connected with Interstate 40, then drove east a few short miles and stopped in Kingman, Arizona. The main reason for a stop here was to load up the propane tanks. Propane in Nevada is nearly double in price than it is Arizona.....I have no idea why. We stayed in Kingman, Arizona for a few nights, then we were back on the interstate, drove west this time, and then back onto Highway 95 south. Driving south on Highway 95 I saw a spot in the desert with about a dozen RVs so I pulled in and we spent 4 nights hanging out and making a few new friends here.....

20181210_103458-1600x524.jpg

The days were spent visiting, reading or walking the back roads and exploring the desert.....

20181211_130101-1600x493.jpg

20181211_134402-1600x289.jpg

One cloudy afternoon this guy flying high in the sky passed us by.....

20181210_102358-1600x1200.jpg

And this little guy flew into the camper. For the life of me I just couldn't figure out what the orange growths were on his tiny rear legs.....

20181210_140039-1600x1200.jpg

We had a great spot in the desert to call our temporary home.....

20181209_171135-1600x611.jpg

With time on my hands I decided this area could use a little cleanup.....it's been quite awhile since I lent a hand to Mother Nature. We hauled out 45 pounds of trash.....

20181212_090500-1600x1200.jpg

The weather continues to be unsettled.....

20181211_172102-1600x572.jpg

So most evenings ended with a nice sunset.....

20181211_173347-1600x1200.jpg

The desert is good.....but I'm missing the forests and mountains, the lakes and rivers, all of Montana really, and find myself counting the days to return north.....

20181211_173053-1600x574.jpg

Slowly we're moving south.....

Trailboss

Senior Curmudgeon
Those growths on the honeybee are pollen "baskets" where bees store pollen they collect to bring back to the hive.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Jerry, Anytime someone mentions Kingman i am reminded of the rail car explosion. Something most HAz-Mat certified, and fire fighters study when getting certifications. So much was learned, but at a great cost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingman_explosion

Yes I made it back, and am getting my travel thread updated-just not as fast as I would like. But am hoping to get it caught up this week. I did daily updates on my social media, so that will help with the thread on here, as I can copy and paste and fill in the detail. I sure enjoyed my time in BAJA, we were all in gas vehicles, but i remember diesel being at the majority of the Pem ex stations.

ITTOG

Jerry, Anytime someone mentions Kingman i am reminded of the rail car explosion. Something most HAz-Mat certified, and fire fighters study when getting certifications. So much was learned, but at a great cost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingman_explosion

Yes I made it back, and am getting my travel thread updated-just not as fast as I would like. But am hoping to get it caught up this week. I did daily updates on my social media, so that will help with the thread on here, as I can copy and paste and fill in the detail. I sure enjoyed my time in BAJA, we were all in gas vehicles, but i remember diesel being at the majority of the Pem ex stations.

I am a chemical engineer and Kingman is used for training and safety topics at chemical plants as well. What happened was not a surprise as it was known this could happen. If I remember correctly the final report indicated the plant safety didn't notify the fire department. Very sad and preventable.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Yeah, BLEVE was known about, and even documented. Not enough water, quick enough keep the train car cooled. I think thats what sticks with me as a firefighter. They had water on it, but nearly enough. Sometimes you just need to do the math, and more is better.

Riversdad.....first off, thanks for the feedback.....I appreciate it. It's really not a big deal to pick up the trash but what is a big deal is to actually throw out the trash. I'm just amazed at the amount of trash that people throw out so randomly. Yesterday I watched about a half dozen young guys on motocross bikes just trashing the desert plants as they jumped their motorcycles over and through the sand dunes. After they departed, they left cans and bottles, chip bags, and burrito packaging. Their trucks were parked a few feet away. How is that people think this is acceptable ?

Trailboss.....that's interesting.....the poor guy could barely fly.....

PNWY / ITTOG.....that's also interesting.....Concerning the diesel, yep, there's always been plenty of diesel fuel but the issue is the availability of the low sulfer diesel being available.....you know, the stuff the newer trucks require (ULSD).....

Well once again we've slowed down and find ourselves just hanging out in one general area.....no traveling. So this post will not be one of the typical posts you're accustomed to seeing here.....it's just something I'm thinking about.....

In January, 2015 I purchased my first Fitbit and that purchase has been life changing.....I can honestly say that. The first year I had the Fitbit I lost more than 20 pounds and walked over 4,000 miles. Subsequently I would exceed 4,000 miles walked in both 2016 and 2017. Last week I surpassed 4,000 miles walked for the fourth straight year, and have exceeded 17,000 miles walked in the past 4 years. This past summer I was telling someone how much I walked (and how much I enjoyed it), and their response was that I needed to get a life. I don't recall my response at the time, but I believe it's walking that helps me to stay healthy and fit.....and it's walking that continues to give me a good life.....and I'm so thankful for that.....

Anyhow, check this out (or not).....the first pair of my boots pictured I'd guess have about 3,000 miles on them.....

20181220_082132-1200x1600.jpg

The next pair maybe 1,000 miles.....

20181220_082041-1200x1600.jpg

And the last pair just came out of the box.....

20181220_082333-1200x1600.jpg

I always have at least two pair of boots broken in and usually will be working on breaking in a third.....good boots are vital to me.....

Lately we've been doing quite a bit of walking in the desert and what I've noticed is that nobody else seems to be doing it (although I do see people on some of the marked trails).....

20181220_091740-1200x1600.jpg

I rarely see human footprints.....I do see the tracks of animals and insects.....

20181220_091828-1200x1600.jpg

But I'm often not alone in the desert. I'll see people riding their dirt bikes, or I'll see people riding in their ATVs. Motorcycle tire tracks and ATV tire tracks are so abundant in the desert....

20181220_090544-1200x1600.jpg

Footprints not so much.....that one is mine.....it's on an ATV track of course.....

20181220_092017-1200x1600.jpg

I was walking in the desert a few days ago and I stopped at this tree. It really was amazing to see the little world that had developed around it. I took the time to study it....you notice these things when you're walking.....

20181220_090719-1200x1600.jpg

Two nights ago I was wandering around in the desert at night with my headlamp when I saw these eyes glaring at me in the darkness. It turned out to be a Desert Kit Fox and he was absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me but they look like this (borrowed from the internet).....

Screenshot_20181219-064614_Gallery-1600x778.jpg

https://www.desertusa.com/animals/kit-fox.html

The little guy (they're only 12 inches high) hung with me for maybe 10 minutes. He came within 3 feet of me and he did it often.....his curiousousity was hard to believe and the encounter was such a pleasure......things you see walking.....

Screenshot_20181219-064427_Gallery-1600x778.jpg

So, moving on..... I read an online article this morning that said that the average American male weighs 198 pounds and has a BMI of 29.1. The average American woman weighs 170 pounds and has a BMI of 29.6. 30 and up is considered obese. Approximately one third of Americans are overweight and another third are obese. It appears that soon the average American will be obese.....

What does this have to do with travel ? Nothing.....

All I'm saying is that walking is good.....and I wish more people saw the benefits of it.....

Last edited:

ROKTAXI

Adventurer
Jerry, liked your "essay" re: walking. I walk 3 - 4 miles with my 3 YO Border Collie / Black lab mix, Maggie Mae, EVERY day. Not for the exercise so much, but mostly for enjoyment. I love seeing Maggie enjoying it more than I do. She's an off-leash dog, even on the occasion we walk "around the block" in inclement weather. Weather and other factors permitting, it includes cross-country hiking which is less than 15 minutes from home. *Feeling blessed* 20160306_073716.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles