My Jeep Gladiator Power System Build

KO4AFH

I recently completed building a power system for my Jeep Gladiator, and I thought I'd share my experience.

Last year I purchased a Goal Zero Yeti 1400 and after my first camping trip, I realized that it wasn't nearly as capable as I had hoped, running out of power to run my Dometic fridge/freezer much faster than I had anticipated. After that experience, I bought a Boulder 100 solar panel, Yeti Link and 100 AH Yeti Tank. That increased my capacity, but battery recovery was dependant on sunny weather, and the Boulder 100 wasn't really cutting it. I decided to build a system that could fit inside of a waterproof truck box, with a quick disconnect to my Jeep's 220 amp alternator via the starter battery (AGM, 75 Ah, 70 CCA).

It took me a while to identify the right equipment, particularly a quick disconnect that would be waterproof and safely support up to 100 amps. I considered a large Anderson plug, but I wanted a waterproof plug receptacle I could mount to my truck box. Eventually, I discovered a 100 amp trolling motor plug from Battery Tender which ended up working perfectly. I ran a 4 AWG cable from a relay-based battery isolator in my engine compartment to my truck bed, using a magnetic cable clip to keep it "docked" when my battery system is removed.

With the truck box in place, I decided to base my key system components around Victron, due to their excellent Bluetooth powered apps -- getting the SmartSolar 100/50 charge controller and the BMV-712 battery monitor. At the center of my system is a Blue Sea Safety Hub 150, which supports circuits up to 200A and handily supplies a central negative bus. Originally I was looking at a DC to DC charger to put between my starter battery and house battery, but because my alternator was designed to charge my AGM starter battery, I decided to give it a try without one. So far, the results are good. After discharging my AGM house battery to 75%, I was able to charge it at 400 watts, eventually leveling off to 60 watts. I may still look into a DC to DC charger eventually, but for now, this system seems to be working well. I'll be hooking up two 110-watt flexible solar panels next, and seeing how they perform.

One unusual aspect of my system is the Yeti 1400. Rather than get a new inverter, I connected the Yeti to the Safety Hub 150 fuse block via its Yeti Link charge controller (which supports charging at 60 amps).

Here's a schematic of my build -- would love to hear thoughts and feedback.

Maximus Power System v1.png

shade

Welcome to ExPo! ?
You've got a lot going on there. :)

What kind of solar charging are you using? I'm guessing that you're able to get your AGM batteries fully charged between alternator & solar charging.

Any issues with disconnecting charging to the LFP Yeti 1400 battery while continuing to charge the AGM battery? Is your alternator delivering the recommended voltage to the AGM battery?

One advantage to your dual house battery configuration is the ability to have remote power without running a cord back to the truck. If you ever camp in bear country and have access to a bear box for your fridge or an unpowered structure, that could be very handy.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
It looks like your battery is connected to another fuse instead of the + bus bar? Why?

I would run the MPPT controller and chassis charge leads directly to the battery. Then make sure the breakers are close enough to the battery to provide protection from short circuits. This reduces voltage drops which are the bane of charging lead acid.

Depending on wiring size you could use a single main fuse on the battery, or a fuse for the + bus feed, and the breakers for the charging feeds.

KO4AFH

Thanks for the great questions and feedback. I appreciate it.

What kind of solar charging are you using? I'm guessing that you're able to get your AGM batteries fully charged between alternator & solar charging.

I will be using two 110W Sunpower flexible panels. My first full test of the system will be this weekend, camping with my family. I'll report back here on Monday :)

Any issues with disconnecting charging to the LFP Yeti 1400 battery while continuing to charge the AGM battery?

No issue at all disconnecting the Yeti 1400.

Is your alternator delivering the recommended voltage to the AGM battery?

Looking at my BMV-712 history, it looks like charging voltage peaked at around 14.7V. I didn't monitor voltage closely enough after my most recent discharge though, so I'll let you know.

For brevity of schematic, I assume 'battery isolator' is controlled by 'ign and not directly from alternator positive ?

Yes, that's right.

Is there a reason using that rather than the existing ANL segments of your "distrubution & negative bussbar" ?

Yes, to turn charging sources on/off. I suppose I could have accomplished this by wiring a switch between each charging source and an ANL fuse segment, but I decided to go with Blue Sea 187 Series breakers.

It looks like your battery is connected to another fuse instead of the + bus bar? Why? Depending on wiring size you could use a single main fuse on the battery, or a fuse for the + bus feed, and the breakers for the charging feeds.

Given that the battery needs a fuse anyways, it seemed simpler to connect it this way, rather than crowding the single non-fused terminal post on the safety hub, or adding an additional positive busbar. Electrically, the end result is the same, no?

BlueSeaSafetyHub150.jpg

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Note that depending on wire run length, you would then need another fuse near the battery positive terminal.

BuckinghamBuilt

@KO4AFH

I'm very interested in this build so I'll be watching this thread. A few questions:

• What truck box did you end up going with for housing the components?
  • You mentioned testing with flexible solar panels. Any thoughts on where you'll be mounting them?

Rbertalotto

Explorer
What is the shut feeding in the way of a system monitor?

I'd use a DC to DC charger rather than an isolator. The price of DC to DC chargers from RENOGY has come way down and do a MUCH better job of charging your aux battery. Do a search for a Will Prowse video on it.

codename607

Adventurer
Question for the OP, did the Yeti Link not charge fast enough? Goal Zero claims that it should charge the Yeti 1400 at around 400 watts when in car charging mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior