My Interior Basic Camper/ Platform Bed Build

Jolly705

Observer
So I started a thread awhile back looking for suggestions on for basic camper/ platform bed for the interior of my van on another forum and I took some peoples ideas and some of my own and came up with a design. So far I am pretty happy with the way things are turning out. The height and width of the sections are built to fit plastic bins underneath so my wife and I can be organized on the road. It is getting closer but I still need to sand, prime, paint and install. I am also figuring out where to install the outlets for 12V power, not to mention I need to install the marine battery a long the frame (I bought the battery box from ebay). Anyways I am not the “best” at documenting builds but I figured I would give it a try.

Here is my “basic” camper build:

The start of my permanent 75” x 34” bed on the left side:

I made some doors on the top to use for basic storage:

A side door to access storage from sliding door and bins that are pushed too far forward:

Phase One Complete:

12” bench on the ride side with similar top access:

Test Install, getting late not the best pics:

I added the center piece to make sure it all fit before building the rest out:

This is where I left off for now, as I stated I need to sand, prime, and paint. I might also carpet it. I wanted to have the center piece removable or flip up so I can put a dirt bike or mtb inside for solo trips.

Idea behind custom cushions being made by a local shop in SLC.

This is all for now..... hopefully more to come after the weekend.

Jolly705

Observer
Not a problem, I could not find any build out there that fit my needs but searching forums and google I combined a few ideas of something that I am capable of building. I did find some amazing and very expensive builds out of metal which I would have loved to create but budget and my skills are limited, haha... I was also limited to space due to having a cargo van with a bench seat installed that I actually need for hauling passengers. Hopefully the final build will come out great!

Looks good...so good I may be stealing your build plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sea.Jay

Observer
Love it, can't wait to see the final product. Didn't read thoroughly but what are the plans for a mattress?

Jolly705

Observer
Sea Jay the last image posted above shows the 3 piece custom cushion set I am going to have New Image Van in SLC make. I am aiming for a 4-5" thick mattress that is based on the three separate pieces.

Love it, can't wait to see the final product. Didn't read thoroughly but what are the plans for a mattress?

Retired Tanker

Explorer
Very nice! I especially like how guys think through their "requirements" before they build it. Like the space for the bike, pulling out bins, etc.

Jolly705

Observer
Thanks, I have been traveling a lot for work and not had much time to continue my progress. I hope to do a little painting this evening before I take off again.

Nice progress Jolly. I like the added functionality too.

Agreed.
Wife and I spending a whole lotta time dreaming up the "requirements" of Van v2.0

Jolly705

Observer
I have been working around the clock and have not had a lot of time to work on my platform bed but this evening I was able to put on the primer. I hope this weekend to finish painting it and install. The final color will be a darker charcoal grey.

Jolly705

Observer
Well I made the final push this week and painted it yesterday and installed this morning. I will have to wait until mid January to get the cushions made as the custom van shop here is booked out. I am pretty happy with the outcome and can't wait to test it out.
I still need to add the marine batteries and shelf for our heater. The never ending project :)

Final Paint:

Test with the Plastic Bins and rubber mat to prevent sliding:

Final Shot with the bed down:

with the middle flipped up:

Compartments:

Jolly705

Observer
Well I finally got around to getting the cushions made and I am pretty happy with the overall build. New Image Van in SLC made the cushions and he made them a tiny bit larger so they can get wedged in and there is no movement and we will not sink in the cracks. This makes perfect sense but it made the fabric bunch up a bit so I have to see if I will leave it or he said he can make them smaller. Anyways they did a great job with the custom cushions.
Now I need to wire up my marine battery and some day install the propane tank for heat and than Agile RIP, never ending, haha...

This is a very nice set up. I especially like the flip up portion for more room if flying solo. I am about to start building a similar set up for my van and was wondering what the height of your bed is?

I am fighting back and forth on what height to make mine as I have water cans, a chuck box, and possibly a fridge that I would like to be able to slide under the bed. Don't want to make it too high and lose too much overhead space to sit up in. Right now I need about 20" under the bed to fit everything.

I may have to make it full height with plans to be able to cut height off as needed to fit.

Awesome build!

Jolly705

Observer
Thanks for the compliment, I made my bed 19" high so it fits the 18 Gallon bins under it as well as my coolers and other crap. If 20" is the magic number I say go for it, the extra inch is not going to make a difference in my mind.

This is a very nice set up. I especially like the flip up portion for more room if flying solo. I am about to start building a similar set up for my van and was wondering what the height of your bed is?

I am fighting back and forth on what height to make mine as I have water cans, a chuck box, and possibly a fridge that I would like to be able to slide under the bed. Don't want to make it too high and lose too much overhead space to sit up in. Right now I need about 20" under the bed to fit everything.

I may have to make it full height with plans to be able to cut height off as needed to fit.

Awesome build!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles