my hunting and family outing rig

tlr

Adventurer
just got a white gen 2.5 montero. very excited to start building this for me and my family to enjoy. first off will be timing belt and plugs plus needed parts that go along with this. then shocks, wheels and tires. and the list goes on. will post pics soon. :wings:

IMG_20140214_171552_033.jpg

IMG_20140214_171622_257.jpg

Work list
1. timing belt and parts that go with that. done
2. valve covers and parts that go with that.done
3. shocks done
4.rims and tires, thinking of 285/75/16 cooper st/maxx done
5. remove third row seats Done
6. remove running boards Done
7. remove roof rack done
8. seat covers front and rear done
9. stereo and speakers done

Future work
1. build front and rear bumpers
2. build rock rails
3. find someone in AZ that does gears. I installed my gears. ��
4. Winch
???

Last edited:

tlr

Adventurer
Thanks all. I've already started working on her and ordering parts. Pulled the running boards off and removed the third row seats last night. Will start tearing into the motor in a day or two. Has anyone removed the charcoal canister and egr stuff? Does it throw codes if you do this?

Clem

Adventurer
Welcome, White Gen 2.5's are the best :sombrero:...Lots of Mitsu guys in AZ, I'm sure one of them can help you find someone to do the re-gearing.

Clem

tlr

Adventurer
Well been working on the Montero this morning. pulled the intake off and started to work towards the timing belt. But broke the harmonic balancer bolt.:Wow1: so know I have to figure out how to get it out. looks like pb blaster, a left hand drill bit and an easy out might save me.

Jay Ayala

Explorer
tlr, dang that bolt broke? So can you pull off the harmonic balancer around the broken bolt? It may be better vice grip it off so you can get more torque. I just went through a rebuild of my 3.0L engine and that thing is torqued at 135 lbs/ft. The extractor bit on a drill may help. That torque assumes you have the H.B. and the washer installed putting pressure back on the bolt.

If you can't get it off, you may want to get the H.B. off around the busted bolt then super heat the busted bolt with a torch so it glows. That may give you enough of an advantage to get that thing off with some vice grips or something.

tlr

Adventurer
Jay the bolt broke off in the crank. I have the H.B. off already. Going to try and drill and easy out it tonight. Have been tapping on it and spraying pb blaster on it for 2 days. wish me luck.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Victory is mine. I got that stupid broken bolt out.:victory:

Well done!
Did you end up using the method you detailed above?
I've also had success with the 'ol drill and easy-out method.

tlr

Adventurer
I drilled it open. Then tried an easy out and broke that so had to drill it out. The I ground down a saw blade and made 4 cuts in the bolt. Got one to lift out and the rest collapsed in on itself. Worked like a charm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles