My Hummer wheelset experience

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
It also has me thinking about setting up dedicated from and rear wheelsets. If I plan on just carrying unmounted spares then I don't need uniform backspacing on all 4 corners.
For reference on my 2002 FG, the overall difference between the front and rear brake drum faces on the axles is 14.50 inches (368mm)

Flameffects

Observer
I just left Andy a message re Rims for my 2001 Fuso. He said he believed that he had only done rims for six lug wheels. Was your 2002 5 or 6 lugs? Never mind I just saw your photos and counted the lugs.

garybo

Adventurer
We've sold our FG and might be looking for a replacement. In 3 yrs we used the lo range infrequently and never in dire straights, so a 2WD with the ability to air down appeals to us. I'm not up to thinking about the center bore/stud hole bore/etc. Rather, I don't understand the basic construction concept, the Hummer wheel component, etc., so can I ask for a more basic explanation. From the rig picture it looks like the basic 6 bolt pattern of the original wheel is visible? Then there's the 8 bolt outer wheel "part"? Did TWF weld 2 wheels/part of wheels together? I did finish the 4th grade but just don't understand.
Thanks,
Gary

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
TWF adds new centers to existing Hummer surplus wheels.
The outer 8 bolts (or 12 bolts) are the Hummer rim bolts. Those bolts joint the Hummer inner and outer rims together and have nothing to do with mounting the wheel to the vehicle.

garybo

Adventurer
Thanks, I understand.

Andy- could you comment about
1. the weight of the wheel/tire combo (Goodyear Wrangler MT/R) for the
12 bolt Hummer-
24 bolt Hummer-

2. Does the plastic insert need to be replaced at each tire dismount?

3. what diameter size are the O rings?

Dookey

Thanks, I understand.

Andy- could you comment about
1. the weight of the wheel/tire combo (Goodyear Wrangler MT/R) for the
12 bolt Hummer-
24 bolt Hummer-

2. Does the plastic insert need to be replaced at each tire dismount?

3. what diameter size are the O rings?

Weight is a direct result of the combo we build. So if you go with a rock ring or not it changes. But you can account for 130-175 depending on what we do. The 12 bolt and 24 bolt are around 1-2 pounds difference with the 24 bolt being heavier.

The PVC insert that goes inside the tire will outlast the tires. You should never have to replace them. The only change is if you go up in tire size. If you get into some of the 40" tires then the insert needs to be trimmed for width for the thicker bead on the big tires.

O-Rings are special made for TWF.

Andy,
Forgot to ask how much the "run flat" addition weighs?
thanks,
Gary

The run flat weighs around 40 pounds each. You can ditch 30ish pounds by going with the PVC. The PVC is the best you can get and much easier to install. I'm not a big fan of the run flats because if you lose air pressure and drive on the run flat the tire is toast. It will separate the bands in the tread and you will have to replace it. If the only problem was a nail that needed a patch it is a rather costly exchange. Add in the weight savings and the PVC is the better option. 30 pounds of rolling mass is quite a bit.

Dookey

Something else to think about. You have to run inserts in one form or another. If you don't want to run inserts then look for a different option. The insert is the only mechanical advantage you have to keep the bead on the wheel if you start to lose air pressure.

garybo

Adventurer
I'm guessing the stock Fuso wheel/tire combo weight is 60 lbs x 6 = 360 lbs. Anyone can correct this guess. Four of your Hummer combos = approx 600 lbs? Apples vs oranges- just looking at weight totals for the rig.

The PVC insert sounds better than the run-flat option.

I can get a 20" O ring at a well stocked farm tire shop for a split Accuride. Yours are special because? shape? thickness? When are these rings changed?

Dookey

Ours are special because they are made for our wheels. They aren't the military version. But they aren't $18 buck each either. :)

I tend to replace my orings every time I change tires. But I can walk to the shelf and grab them.

garybo

Adventurer
If requested, can you now produce the Rockwell bore pattern (1.313") if a Fuso lug nut is supplied for you to machine the wheel center to accept that nut?

Many thanks for such prompt responses and also to Mick for his great analysis of the situation and problems to solve.

Mick- what camper box is shown in the first pictures? 10,000 lbs wet is excellent.

Dookey

Already done on the lug pattern. We just shipped a set and they are already installed using the Fuso lug nuts. :)

garybo

Adventurer
We had 8 stock wheel/tire units on our Fuso camper, so near 500 lbs. Your 4 would be 600 lbs. Storing 1 spare tire would save space over our 2 spare wheel/tire combos.

Thanks again to Andy and Mick

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
Id love to use these on my Mercedes 917. My only worry is the vehicle weight. The truck is 9,000 lbs without the camper...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier