My Hummer wheelset experience

micklongley

Observer
Hello everyone,

In this thread I'd like to document my experience with Trail Worthy Fab (TWF) and their modification of 8-bolt two piece HMMWV wheels. These wheels are military surplus and TWF goes through them completely - removing the original paint, new O-rings, wheel bolts, etc. They provide a very nice product with excellent welding on the recentered wheel, and a very nice finish. I hope others with benefit from my work and can avoid, or at least know, the pitfalls that come with this wheel option.

001.jpg

Benefits and Options for this wheel and tire:
The reason I chose to pioneer these wheels for these trucks was the fact that they provide huge benefits when travelling off-pavement. One of the biggest things for me was the ability to change and mount a tire to a wheel completely by myself in the backcountry. Since these wheels are two piece, one is able to air down the tire, remove the outer bolts, remove the outside bead lock ring, and pull the tire off of the inner wheel. This allows me to carry spare tires without a wheel and replace a tire instead of a tire/wheel combo if necessary.

Another benefit to the Hummer wheel is the option of using run flats. Run Flats allow you to escape threatening situations even if your tires sidewall has been shredded and the tire has 0 psi. This was very appealing to me as an option.

My current setup uses a PVC insert that allows for double bead lock of the tire. If you are unfamiliar with bead lock you might be missing out on a very functional feature. I have popped beads on aired down tires without bead locks when in the mountains of Colorado and it's no fun. Without a large source of air it is very hard to reseat a bead on a tire and wheel. Bead Locks allow me to air down very far, 0 if needed, and not worry about popping a bead. Since I have a two wheel drive truck this helps tremendously with traction and I can usually crawl over everything I need to.

So with these benefits I believe the HMMWV wheel is a great option for those who are light enough to run them. My current setup is roughly 9500 lbs in typical short expedition trim. Each 8-bolt wheel is rated at 2850 lbs. in stock form, there hasn't been any scientific testing but I believe recentering the wheels to the Fuso bolt pattern adds to the capacity of the wheels. In stock form the wheel is 16.5x8.25" with 7" backspacing - that is quite a bit off-center and I believe putting the backspacing at 4.5" centers the load more, allowing for a stronger combination (remember, this is all speculation at this point). The 37x12.5" Goodyear Wrangler has a capacity of 3850 lbs/tire if I remember correctly. The 12-bolt HMMWV wheel has a rating of 3850 lbs/wheel I believe. This is a better option and I would go this direction if possible.

Another fantastic benefit for me was increasing my stock tire size by 17%. This allowed me to lower my highway cruising rpm from 2500-2800 down to 2000-2200. Believe it or not, these large tires actually lowered my fuel usage. I was at roughly 10-13mpg and now average 13-16mpg. The power still feels okay but I am running the larger 6cyl 5.9L turbo diesel in my Fuso FH. Smaller engines may be affected more than I.

Track Width:
I chose to use 4.5" backspacing on the front wheel and 2" BS on the rear. My front wheels track wider than the rear. This is unnoticeable on and offroad for me, but others may have problems with their tracks not lining up perfectly. This difference shows when you look at the truck. With my camper removed from my Fuso FH it is very noticeable that the front is wider. With my camper loaded it actually looks balanced. The wider stance up front is common on American 4x4's but usually only by about 2" total, mine is a little more but I haven't measured.

One of the major drawbacks of running different backspacing on the front and rear axles is that you either run wheels that are lug nut tapered to be mounted in either direction, or carry two spares. In the Hummer wheel scenario one can replace a tire with the wheel still bolted to the truck, making it unnecessary to carry a spare wheel. I love this (if you haven't noticed already!). Wheels DO fail and I would still recommend carrying a spare wheel if you were very far from civilization, but this is uncommon.

Bolt Pattern:
Here is where things get tricky... The bolt pattern for a 6 lug Fuso/Isuzu/other med. duty truck is generally 6x8.75" with a center bore of 6.5" and a stud hole bore of 1.313". A very popular heavy axle in the offroading community is the Rockwell 2.5 ton axle. It uses the same bolt pattern/center bore/stud bore as our trucks. Marsh Racing Wheel (MRW) states that these are the correct figures for the "Rockwell" bolt pattern. Trail Worthy Fab, who I ordered wheels from, states that the previous specifications are correct EXCEPT for the stud bore. TWF states that 0.85" is the correct stud bore size. Take a look at the photos below and notice the difference in the stud bore size - it's startling.

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Since I received these wheels from TWF expecting the "Rockwell" pattern I was pretty distraught when I noticed the big difference in stud bore size. TWF relied on me to take my original lug nuts to a machine shop and have them machined to fit the 0.85" bore size and taper. This was an acceptable fix for me but it added extra cost and headache to what could have been a very easy solution. My suggestion to Andy at TWF was to use the correct Rockwell specifications (1.313" stud bore) instead of having to machine lug nuts.

018.jpg

020.jpg

That being said, I have been running these wheels for nearly 6,000 miles and they have not budged, or loosened whatsoever. I put a reference mark on each lug nut so I would notice if they are loosening or not.

Summary:
I love these wheels and tires. The Goodyear Wranglers have a great tread pattern with minimal road noise. These are incredibly stout tires and flex well at low inflation. For an overland rig I believe this tire and wheel combo is a great choice. The great appeal I see is the ability to go to Single Rear Wheel (SRW), go to a larger tire allowing for better fuel economy, and the many options available for this wheel.

I have had great experience with traction on my two wheel drive truck with my camper loaded. Due to the size of tire and double bead lock I am able to air down to very low pressures and my treads resemble a tank track more than a tire. I would recommend this wheelset if you can actually get Trail Worthy Fab, or other hummer wheel recentering outfit, to use the actual "Rockwell" pattern with a 1.313" stud bore size.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions about this wheelset.

Mick
My Fuso is for sale here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...y-and-in-Durango-CO-25-000-obo?highlight=fuso

000.jpg

000a.jpg

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Interesting writeup, Re-centered military wheels are great as long as the capacity is correct of the intended use. I have a few questions; are the custom wheels you bought hub or lug centric, what does the vehicle weigh loaded, upon viewing the image of the lugs you had modified they look like they can sheer pretty easy at the taper if over loaded by say a bad pot hole if they are lug centric if hub centric no biggie for sure or?

Anyway, nice setup and good luck with them I know they guys at TWF do a great job.

Last edited:

micklongley

Observer
Hey FellowTraveler, Thanks for the compliments on the thread.

The wheels are very close to hub-centric, but not quite. It's so close, in fact, that taking wheels off and putting them on requires a little patience because the center bore and stud bores are so close to exact. This doesn't make them hub-centric however.

I would be very surprised if there were ever a problem with the taper on the lug nuts. As you probably know, these lug nuts are gigantic and what appears in the picture to be a small amount of material centering the stud bore is still quite large. Seeing that there is very little "wiggle" room, the taper would have a hard time sheering in my opinion. This is all just based on my experience though - there is no engineering behind this.

I am hoping that if someone decides to follow my path they will convince TWF to produce a true Rockwell bolt pattern so that no lug nut machining is necessary - it would be hugely convenient to both parties.

FYI - My truck fully decked out for a short expedition is around 10,000 lbs including passengers. The weight unloaded is roughly 9,000 lbs. The weight could probably be cut down but I love things like heavy, real wood, camp chairs :)

Thanks again,
Mick

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Yes, I'm aware they are massive and perhaps will never be an issue. I like your rig well thought out and the re-centered wheels add to its rugged look!
Good luck and happy travels!

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Mick,
Great write-up with lots of information. I never would have thought about the stud bores. The only "Rockwell" axles I have seen (well paid attention to) are our Fusos and military trucks while I was wearing green and they all had the 1.313" bores. In researching wheels for the Fuso, I see that some of the Mudboggers, Offroad and Rockcrawler wheel builders list some stud bores as 3/4". So I guess this has become a 'second' standard since none of these users were every setup as duallies with Budd studs. Without the 'inner nut' there is no need for the larger stud bore, see below:
View attachment 126388

You have a very good point about the tire change with military 'combat' rims.
Thanks again for the info.

micklongley

Observer
Hey Mog, The "second' standard is really an inconvenient thing. Since the Rockwell studs are 3/4-16 thread this leaves almost no space for a centering the wheel using the taper and chamfer as the stud bore is only slightly bigger at 0.85". If there was an off the shelf lug nut that would fit this arrangement I would be very surprised - 3/4" lug nuts are not very common!

I visited the heavy truck parts provider here in SW Colorado and found that there is no 3/4" lug nut available for a 0.85" stud bore. The guys who mud bog and build rock buggies aren't concerned with this. I assume they just flip the stock Rockwell lug nuts around and use the flat side of the lug nut to hold the wheel on using pure friction. This method would certainly oval the stud bores and make the wheel unusable (on hwy) over time.

If enough are interested, we could have the voice to convince TWF to use the real Rockwell bolt pattern. It might be worth it - these are seriously cool wheels!

Mick

Dookey

Hey Mick-
Thank you for the write up and your experience with TWF. It is great to see the wheels and tires on your rig. I never got to see the final product.

This is for everyone on EP.com... Mick was great to work with and he is a great person. Mick- My offer still stands for the future. Because of the problems you had let me know about when you need some replacement parts or tires and I will do my best to hook you up.

I was sent a link to this thread by another Fuso owner so I thought I would chime in for anyone that was interested. As Mick stated, you guys do have a voice. I don't care if it is 1 or 100. I am willing to modify any wheel setup to get you guys going. Since I know about the problem in advance it can be sorted properly before you get it. The next set we do I will get a Fuso lug nut in here and machine the wheel center to accept the Fuso lug nuts so you don't have the problems like Mick did.

If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer them and support my product.
Thanks,
Andy

westyss

Explorer
Hey Mick-
Thank you for the write up and your experience with TWF. It is great to see the wheels and tires on your rig. I never got to see the final product.

This is for everyone on EP.com... Mick was great to work with and he is a great person. Mick- My offer still stands for the future. Because of the problems you had let me know about when you need some replacement parts or tires and I will do my best to hook you up.

I was sent a link to this thread by another Fuso owner so I thought I would chime in for anyone that was interested. As Mick stated, you guys do have a voice. I don't care if it is 1 or 100. I am willing to modify any wheel setup to get you guys going. Since I know about the problem in advance it can be sorted properly before you get it. The next set we do I will get a Fuso lug nut in here and machine the wheel center to accept the Fuso lug nuts so you don't have the problems like Mick did.

If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer them and support my product.
Thanks,
Andy

Hi and welcome to the forum. I do have a question about the rims that you could supply and that is what you can expect these rims to be able to handle weight wise? The ability to load these vehicles up to 14,000 pounds and then take all that weight out to the bush is a demanding requirement, do you feel that they would be okay for that in your experience?
It certainly is intriguing and would sure create some interest in this group of forum users to have the ability to swap a tire onto a rim while in the bush let alone just having an option on rims in general for these trucks to go to single rears.
Thanks

Dookey

Hi and welcome to the forum. I do have a question about the rims that you could supply and that is what you can expect these rims to be able to handle weight wise? The ability to load these vehicles up to 14,000 pounds and then take all that weight out to the bush is a demanding requirement, do you feel that they would be okay for that in your experience?
It certainly is intriguing and would sure create some interest in this group of forum users to have the ability to swap a tire onto a rim while in the bush let alone just having an option on rims in general for these trucks to go to single rears.
Thanks

The life span of the H1 wheel has grown through the past to accommodate extra weight. So the earlier version of the Humvee used the 8 bolt setup with the bias ply tires. They progressed into the 12 bolt with a radial and now into the 24 bolt wheel with an even heavier duty radial.

The 24 bolt setup with the MT/R load range E tires should be able to help out with the weight concerns. The tires are rated at 4540lb load capacity so you could run those kinds of weight without problems. I don't believe you will have any problems with the setup.

westyss

Explorer
Thanks for the reply, I am not looking for a guarantee'd number but more of an opinion on what kind of weight do you think the rims could withstand? I have never seen these rims so have no knowledge about them but just by looking at a certain product can get an idea about its strength and ability, more of just a "what do you think" and not a "I am going to hold you to it" question. I guess its something that goes through my head when I am out in the middle of nowhere driving over rocks, and generally just treating the tires and rims poorly and hoping that I dont have problems, I am sure if I had a wheel set up that was not as skookum could cause some additional stress.

Like I said there is a ton of interest on this forum about tires and rims for these trucks and any additional info would be good, thanks for responding, and thanks to Micklongly for originally starting this thread.
By the way, are you prepared to offer up an online price for us? I am sure that will be asked. It is good to have options.

Dookey

The only way to say a guaranteed number would be to crush them and see their crush ratings. Since we haven't done that I could never answer you. But I do know that in stock form the 24 bolt wheel was designed for a 15k-18k pound vehicle. I believe them to be stronger with our recenter process but again... I can't prove it. I know what people have done to our wheels in the off road world and they withstand the abuse much better than others that try to do the same thing. So that is what I pull from.

My opinion is very simple... if I felt like you would have a problem with my product I simply wouldn't sell it to you. I would be very happy to work you into my wheels. I am confident about their ability to work well for you. I do expect you to hold me to it. :)

If you have a wheel failure we will swap it out and ship the problem wheel back to us so we can evaluate the problem and see how we can improve it. We take this approach regarding our workmanship. This does not cover repeated abuse like driving on a flat at speed for 47 miles regarding simple physics. :cool:

We are part of pirate4x4.com and we have a great reputation on that forum for taking care of business. If there is ever a problem we only ask for you to work with us to make things right. :)

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Hi and welcome to the forum. I do have a question about the rims that you could supply and that is what you can expect these rims to be able to handle weight wise? The ability to load these vehicles up to 14,000 pounds and then take all that weight out to the bush is a demanding requirement, do you feel that they would be okay for that in your experience? Thanks

I'm not sure about the 8 and 12 bolt wheels but the 'official' rating on :
24 bolt (even spaced) is 4080 lb per wheel
24 bolt (offset spacing) is 4540 lb per wheel

kerry

Expedition Leader
Given the fact that the lugnuts on Fuso's can be almost impossible to remove sometimes, the option of swapping out a tire while the rim remains on the truck is ideal. When I first got my FG, I couldn't get the lugnuts loose. I ended up taking it to truck tire shop and after trying with a standard 1" impact being hit with a sledgehammer while it was running, they resorted to their 'Big Bertha' and had to shut down all other air tools in the shop and let the compressor build up to the max to get them loose, again while whacking the socket with a sledge hammer. It would have been impossible to get them loose on the trail.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Given the fact that the lugnuts on Fuso's can be almost impossible to remove sometimes, the option of swapping out a tire while the rim remains on the truck is ideal. When I first got my FG, I couldn't get the lugnuts loose. I ended up taking it to truck tire shop and after trying with a standard 1" impact being hit with a sledgehammer while it was running, they resorted to their 'Big Bertha' and had to shut down all other air tools in the shop and let the compressor build up to the max to get them loose, again while whacking the socket with a sledge hammer. It would have been impossible to get them loose on the trail.
It also has me thinking about setting up dedicated from and rear wheelsets. If I plan on just carrying unmounted spares then I don't need uniform backspacing on all 4 corners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94