My Humble ZJ

zjsheller

Observer
Thought I'd post a couple pics of my 96 ZJ. There are some incredible vehicles in this forum.

IMG_5680.JPG

IMG_5677.JPG

IMG_5716.JPG

Tanto

Adventurer
I agree, those nerf bars will cause more damage than they will protect you from if you snag a rock or tree stump with them. You need a pair of rock rails that will support the weight of the vehicle instead. First investment I made & I have used them often.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
It's funny how usual "off road packages" just contain useless crap that you take off. Brush guards, light guards, side steps.... all companies are guilty.

zjsheller

Observer
Tanto said:
I agree, those nerf bars will cause more damage than they will protect you from if you snag a rock or tree stump with them. You need a pair of rock rails that will support the weight of the vehicle instead. First investment I made & I have used them often.

I'm sure you're right. I put them on a couple months ago as they were more easily available than true rock rails. 2 days after installation I bent the passenger side by bashing it off a rock multiple times. At least it kept the jeep from getting too trashed. Rails are on the list.

What do you think about front bumpers? I'm debating between having a bumper built with a winch mount or having a front receiver installed and mounting a winch that way. Any thoughts???

sandalscout

Adventurer
Nice Jeep, looks like a great platform to build from.

I think that the general concensus on winches in receivers is that the are great in theory, but the likely hood of getting hung somewhere where you can't get the winch into the receiver would outway the benefits of having a portable winch mount. The receivers often leave the winch several inches low, killing departure angle in that sort of a setup.... great in theory, not very practical in application. It's a shame though, that was the route I wanted to go too.

zjsheller

Observer
Ok. Makes perfect sense to me.
Anybody out there have experience with Hypertech tuners on the 4.0l'ers? It looks like they make to different ones. Looking to change shift points and perhaps gain more hp. Interested in any input.
Thanks!!

Tanto

Adventurer
ZJ bumper options:

bumperpagepicwinch-202x108.jpg

Iceland Offroad Heavy fiberglass construction, light but durable.

arb_zj_01.jpg

ARB the old standby best price I've seen in a while here: Rusty's Offroad

TRbumperZJ1.jpg

Trailready is pricey but strong Iron Rock Off Road

FrontOnTerminator02_small.jpg
P3160028_small.JPG

Kevin's Stealth front & rear bumpers

chrisbrinker_small.jpg

Kevin's prerunner bull bar, he makes a rear prerunner style too.

both are available on his web site Kevinsoffroad.com

My favorite is the Kevin's Stealth bumper and matching rear bumper with swing out. The price is decent too.

Last edited:

zjsheller

Observer
Hypertech

Anybody have experience or feedback on the Hypertech Max Tuner? I have a 4.0l pretty stock drivetrain. Mostly interested in changing shift points, but a power gain wouldn't be too bad. The Hypertech site doesn't list performance changes such as HP or torque. Thanks!!

Tanto

Adventurer
I've never messed with the programing or things like that so no help here. I won't even put a different rated thermostat in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles