My homegrown pop top camper

rdraider

Adventurer
Here's the first pic of my home grown pickup camper. It'll have a pop top. That's my truck in the back ground.

More to come

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306701837.910728.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306701837.910728.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 307

rdraider

Adventurer
Ok, a little further on. It's starting to look a little more like a camper.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306787466.015632.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306787466.015632.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 197

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Cool.

Where do you plan to source the material for the pop up top? Do you have any concept of how large it will be? How about what it will cost? (ball park)

I am interested in possibly doing a similar job, so I am very curious.

Cheers

rdraider

Adventurer
Ford Perfect,

First, I found something called silnylon, on ebay, its silicone impregnated rip stop nylon. I think that will work fine. As far as cost, I've got $200.00 into it right now and expect to spend about $300.00 more at most. On the size issue, i'm not sure what you're referring to, but to give you an idea: The top will hinge at the top front edge, across the width of the truck. It will rise up about 2-3 feet at back. Its just enough to give me head room to change clothes, etc. My truck is a short bed so the overall camper is pretty square. 77" long by 78" wide. I could have made it 78x78 but would have had clearance issues with the tail gate.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Sorry, I was specifically speaking to the fabric, size and cost wise. I am thinking about taking an existing box that is only 5'5" and putting a liftable roof on it. So the fabric portion is what gets my attention most.

I love your willingness to go for it on this project though! Very cool and certainly far above my head in the fabrication department!

I did a search on the silnylon... Interesting stuff. I found this link, also, that you may want if you have not read it yet. It is all about how to work with sewing the stuff...

Do you have any concerns about the insulative properties of this stuff? It looks super, but it does not look like it would hold the heat in at all.

Cheers
Brian

Last edited:

rdraider

Adventurer
I live in texas, so i'm not to worried about letting the heat out, more worried about getting the heat out! But i figure i could mock up some panels that could be put in place pretty cheaply.

Thanks for the link!

rdraider

Adventurer
Update

Got a bit more done on my camper today. I have the top done just didn't get a photo of it. The door is awfully short, may have to do some re-eingineering on it.

IMG_0035.JPG

Last edited:
I'm waiting to see this finished! For some reason, your first few pics gave me a VERY different idea for a rear slide-out for an SUV (open the lift gate and the tail gate, and slide out the extension to extend the length of the bed, to the edge of the laid-down tailgate).

rdraider

Adventurer
Thanks for your comments. All are welcome. I have been thinking about this project for over a year now, and really couldn't begin to figure out the small details without starting it. As i have gone along, i have had to change some ideas, and add others. The air conditioner was a late addition. The fabric sides i have been considering may go by the wayside, as i am thinking i can get some hard sided panels fab'd up pretty cheaply. I'll just wait and see. Right now, the priority is just to get the overall structure finished and painted. This is where i am at now. Just some skinning left, and then seal and paint.

Getting closer by rdraider72, on Flickr

rdraider

Adventurer
Not yet, when I get closer to the final product I'll let you know. The goal is 300 pounds, give or take a few dozen. ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles