My Hilux from Australia

Brian894x4

Explorer
7wt said:
Very cool! I'd love to get a close up pic of the torsion bars and the under carriage of your buggy. I'd like to see just how different the HiLux is from the Tacoma. Nice looking truck.

The Hilux (pre 2006) uses the same frame, suspension and steering as the U.S. spec 1989-1995 truck. The body is similier to the Tacoma, but with a number of differences.

The Tacoma uses an entirely different frame (made by Dana), suspension, axles, diffs and even body. Basically shares nothing with the Hilux, except for the 3.4 V-6 and in some early model Hiluxes, the 2.7.

Very nice rig by the way.

Last edited:

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies guys. I didnt expect such a response, will post more pics as they come along including trips and scenery of places Ive been and places I will go to.

Yeah, the IFS torsion bar setup is the same as your pre-Taco trucks.

It just sucks that they make it difficult to go anywhere near the extend of modification you guys do in the states on your Taco's, unless we want to be classified as unroadworthy, even thou we may not be, but just a technicality if you know what I mean so the law can drill your backside.

If you guys got any questions bout Toyota trucks in OZ, dont hesitate, I'll do my best to respond.

Thanks again.
Max.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
When I was in Afghanistan we used both Hiluxes and Tacomas. When they were side by side the differences were immediately apparent - the Tacomas were physically larger in almost every dimension.

All of our Hiluxes were RHD, also. That took a little getting used to! I assume they were imported from India or possibly directly from Japan, as people drive on the left in both countries.

Although I assume "Hilux" is a contraction of "high luxury", most of the GIs pronounced it "Helix."

SuperCamperos

Observer
Has anyone looked into importing or driving back a Hilux from Central America? They are all over down there and the steering wheel is on the LHS. Just wondering what restrictions and/or taxes there are. The drive home through Mexico sounds more fun to me than swapping a diesel into a Tacoma.

Clutch

<---Pass
SuperCamperos said:
Has anyone looked into importing or driving back a Hilux from Central America? They are all over down there and the steering wheel is on the LHS. Just wondering what restrictions and/or taxes there are. The drive home through Mexico sounds more fun to me than swapping a diesel into a Tacoma.

From what I understand, is that the foreign vehicle has to be 25 years or older. ( Silly Red Tape) So we have a wee bit of a wait for the late model HiLuxes...other wise. I would sell my Tacoma and do just that. That trip sounds fun.

highlux

Observer
Sweet rig there Max! Whitewalls out....I love it! Factory headache rack and also tie downs on the outside of the bedrail, best cargo holstering devices on a pickup ever IMHO, except the hooks just above the tailight...if I crank a ratchet strap too tight on these ones my tailgate gets kinda sandwiched, hehe. I also love the fender mounted turn signals, mine are integrated into the parking lights.

I noticed that little white sticker on your rear axle, you must have an LSD in the rear? And are those factory manual hubs up front?

And for the record, if my eyes serve me well, the front door shells are identical to first gen Taco DCs. And for those really in the know, that tailgate is identical to the one on my '89 Hilux and I've seen them on early 80s NA trucks too. Here's a pic...a little small but you get a funny road sign with it!

Day1018.jpg

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
G'day there,

Thanks for the comments guys, I didnt expect so many !

Yeah my hilux has rear LSD as factory and factory manual front hubs.

Works a treat.

somebody mentioned something that they were surprised about factory Toyota Bullbars....well almost every truck sold here gets them put on.

The newer ones look absolutely gay thou so you'd go ARB or someone else.

Heres some pics of what she used to look like after I got here. Some guy had a big bullbar and side steps/rails on his Hilux so when he went out hunting he wouldnt damage his truck when hitting animals, so I bought them off him, thou they were very heavy and I saw it on my fuel consumption.(one of the reasons I got rid of the barwork)

deeefae3.jpg

a6defa55.jpg

2da3d2ce.jpg

and heres some pics of my last trip to the Otways Rainforest here in Victoria.
Guess you guys would have to check a map if ya interested where that is LOL :) )
2007otwaystrip308.jpg

2007otwaystrip528.jpg

2007otwaystrip303.jpg

2007otwaystrip293.jpg

Another quick 4x4'ing trip planned next week so hopefully in another weeks time I'll catch up again here to post some more pics.

thanks
Max

P.S Do any of you guys have pics of trucks like mine or similar with custom rear wheel carriers? Im thinking of getting one in the future but love the "custom tube" designs sort of thing. Kinda reduces abit of weight, protects the lower quarter of the tub/bed and then have a slightly higher positioned wheel carrier so my departure angles aren't sacrificed. Any pics/designs for ideas would be appreciated.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Hilux_Max said:
Do any of you guys have pics of trucks like mine or similar with custom rear wheel carriers? Im thinking of getting one in the future but love the "custom tube" designs sort of thing. Kinda reduces abit of weight, protects the lower quarter of the tub/bed and then have a slightly higher positioned wheel carrier so my departure angles aren't sacrificed. Any pics/designs for ideas would be appreciated.

Max-

This might help you out some:
bumper1.jpg

bumper4.jpg

These are Mark's you can see more here: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=941

Here is a couple of other links...
http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/tacoma/DO_rear_bumper.html
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1230

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Max, I dig it! The perfect color! Keep the pics coming, post some up after your trip. Welcome to ExPo

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
imagodave said:
Nice rig, are you from OZ or just the truck? Welcome to the forum!:sunny:

Yeah, Im from OZ, Melbourne, Victoria to be precise.

Damn dry down here, but they're expecting storms during the week, hopefully we get some rain with it, and if so, could be a very muddy and extremely fun weekend. I havent taken out the hilux on the new tyres yet, so I canr wait to test them out offroad.

Flyingwil,

I saw that rear bar whilst surfing thr forum recently. I fell in love with it straight away. I only wish I had the know how to make up something like that. Getting a pro to make that up would cost a bundle.

Anyway, My dad and me began making a rear rack/rollbar or whatever you want to call it that sits at the back of the tub, and when done, I'll spray it black and replace the front one with a custom made one too. We're making it out of 50mm square galvanised steel tubing.

Cant wait to get both the front and back one done, then place the rack ontop.

Damn the rear bar is nice. dont suppose he's got some measurements/plans to go by so I can get the steel meself and have a go at it?

Thanks for your comments guys, great to be onboard :)

ArchaeoTaco

Observer
Thanks for sharing your photos - that rig looks great! I miss the Hilux's we drove in an expedition in Jordan. They were indestructible!

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
G'day Fella's,

Thought I'd report on my trip last weekend. Went to Lake Eildon here in Vic, not much of a lake anymore but some awesome 4x4'ing where the lake used to be.

Had bout 7 fourbies go, and at one stage had 5 of them stuck on the lake bottom, where the dry and cracked lake bed caught us out coz it was wet and crumbly underneath.

Anyway, before going, I thought I'd remove the swaybar off my IFS luxie to see how she'd go....and you know what, it went bloody terrific. So much so that I dont think I'll be putting the swaybar back in her anymore. Heaps more articulation achievable out the front end, and much more comfortable driving on the road.

Here's some articulation shots of her from the weekend -

19052007012.jpg

19052007011.jpg

Here's one of me getting pulled pulled out of creek bed -
goffsbaypics059.jpg

Almost lost my tray/tub there because the 60series pulling me out didnt stop pulling in time wedged me hard against the river bank...the towbar saved my ******** end

Heres a couple more of the trip-
19052007013.jpg

19052007009.jpg

19052007008.jpg

19052007007.jpg

After the hell I put here through, she went great and on the way home a ****ty little stone put a whole in my radiator on the freeway. What a hassle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94