My HAM Plan

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
I have just recently become interested in adding a HAM to my rig. Attending the San Diego HRO Meet & Greet last Saturday really got me motivated. My last deployment to Afghanistan is what got me interested in HAM, and specifically iCOM radios.

So I've been studying for my Technician exam, and doing a little homework on radios, and stuff...

I think I've settled on getting a dual band iCOM IC-2820H for the Tacoma, and adding an iCOM IC-80AD hand-held. I want to synchronize (or Clone) the 2 radios so that I can take the hand-held out when I'm on foot, and use my Tacoma as a mini-repeater.

What do you ExPo experts think about this setup?

IC-2820.jpg

5180.jpg

cruiserlarry

One Crazy FJ
I suggest picking another brand radio...

My experience is Yaesu or Kenwood mobile and handheld radios hold up better...Icom makes a lot of nice HF rigs for the shack, but I use Yaesu and Kenwood on the road or on the trail... :ylsmoke:

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
We used the iCOMs in Afghsanistan. That's how I got turned on to them. What makes the iCOMs inferior? Can you recommend a comparable set of Yaesu radios?

matt s

Explorer
I run a similar icom. Great radio and I plan to add a handheld for the same reasons you do. Nothing bad to say about icom, it's been great for me.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
I'm an Icom fan and have been considering getting an 2820H but when I did a bit of reading on the net I saw lots of complaints about it. I don't if the complaints hold water though.
Two of my friends have the 2820H and have been happy so far.

PhulesAU

Explorer
The radios hold up fine, it's the mics that are crap. both myself and WA5RSU got ours about the same time, and I'm looking at my third. she's on the second and doesn't really use it a lot. she has that model and I'm running a 208h.

7wt

Expedition Leader
As far as brand goes, buy what ever you like and what is popular in your area that way you can get help with it. Around here, more than a few people have Icom HTs but like the Yaesus better. They only bought the Icoms for D-Star but use Yaesus or Kenwoods for everything else. If you feel comfortable with Icom then go for it. Personally I like Yaesu after I had some negative experience with my old Icom aviation transceiver in college.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
I suggest picking another brand radio...

My experience is Yaesu or Kenwood mobile and handheld radios hold up better...Icom makes a lot of nice HF rigs for the shack, but I use Yaesu and Kenwood on the road or on the trail... :ylsmoke:

I've used all three major brands, plus Alinco.

I have had exceptionally good results with Icom radios (I still have the second ham radio I ever bought, an IC-02AT, and it still works well - after being horribly abused like dropped off of a 3rd story roof onto the concrete sidewalk, getting dropped in water during a SAR, etc). I also use Icom marine band radios exclusively, and aviation handhelds.

I also like the Yaesu radios, handheld and HF.

Kenwood, not so much. Alinco was a price leader at one point but not any more.

I've had occasion to send all back to the factory for repairs. Icom and Yaesu back in a reasonable (week or two) timeframe. Kenwood? Months, and when I got it back it wasn't the same radio I sent, didn't work, and getting that unscrewed took another 6 months.

I think SARSquids plan is a good one.

SilverBullet

Explorer
I have used ICOM for years and they are good radios. ICOM also tends to push the envelope of power too, my mobile puts out 65 watts as opposed to the 55 watt mobile "standard" of many other brands.

One thing to note, ICOM radios are more difficult to program usually. Once you get used to them, no problems, but be ready for a bit more frustration in the setup phase.

1leg

Explorer
You really need to think about what you want to use the radios for. If you plan to use the D-star capability then it is the only way to go. San Diego and socal have very good D-star repeater coverage and you will be able to play a lot with it. Once you get out of Socal it will become just as capable as any other radio on the market. I have owned both Kenwood and Yeasu. Yeasus are much easier to use for me. But any radio will have a learning curve. The Kenwood D-710 is APRS capable which is why I bought it. But if I had to choose again I might go with the Yeasu 8900 for it 4 bands. Hell I might end up with one this year anyway. You can never have enough radios in the truck

If cost is not a factor for a mobile rig(truck mounted) I would get a dual band, dual receive radio, don’t even waste you money on a single receiver unless its all you can afford.

P.S. If you can only afford 1, buy the handheld unit first. You will get a lot more use out of it.

xtatik

Explorer
Many Icom mobile units have been notorious for having very hot circuits. The radios just plain run hotter than others and anyone who knows anything about electronic circuits and components will tell you that heat is the enemy. Heat will shorten the lifespan of any electronic product and Icom has been building a bad reputation with its mobile offerings in recent history. Their base units are great, but if money weren't an issue I wouldn't buy either an Icom or Yaesu...I'd get an Elecraft K3.
Now, to address the crossband repeat function you're attempting. I would suggest you study up and pass the first test before jumping in and buying equipment. In the process you'll learn and know better what to buy. Crossband repeating is not as easy as the mfr'rs would lead you to believe, and you could easily find yourself out-of-bounds on station control issues.
Additionally, I would suggest you spend your money on getting a full function radio that includes HF capabilities rather than fluffing up the capabilities of a short range FM radio.

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I think I've settled on getting a dual band iCOM IC-2820H for the Tacoma, and adding an iCOM IC-80AD hand-held. I want to synchronize (or Clone) the 2 radios so that I can take the hand-held out when I'm on foot, and use my Tacoma as a mini-repeater.

In all the brand-hashing that's gone on this might have gotten missed. As you do more studying for your license, you'll find there are some limitations to using your truck as a repeater in this fashion.

Most notably, you really are limited to a "half duplex" repeat.

This means you can have the truck re-transmit signals from the HT onto another frequency, but you really shouldn't be having your truck re-broadcast back to the HT. Setting up Cross Band Repeat this way is certainly doable, but technically violates the rules for identification since the truck can't ID itself when it transmits back on another frequency.

This page covers the difference in setup:
http://www.513repeater.org/cross_repeat.html
But in my opinion, glosses over the legal implications of the truck repeater failing to ID appropriately.

xtatik

Explorer
In all the brand-hashing that's gone on this might have gotten missed. As you do more studying for your license, you'll find there are some limitations to using your truck as a repeater in this fashion.

Most notably, you really are limited to a "half duplex" repeat.

This means you can have the truck re-transmit signals from the HT onto another frequency, but you really shouldn't be having your truck re-broadcast back to the HT. Setting up Cross Band Repeat this way is certainly doable, but technically violates the rules for identification since the truck can't ID itself when it transmits back on another frequency.

This page covers the difference in setup:
http://www.513repeater.org/cross_repeat.html
But in my opinion, glosses over the legal implications of the truck repeater failing to ID appropriately.
In the midst of all my "brand-bashing", I did make some mention of this:coffeedrink:

sjk99

Adventurer
Take a little extra time (or effort) and study the questions for General and take that test at the same time you take the Tech exam. Use the method of printing the test and blocking out every answer but the right one - just study the right answers. You'll be surprised at what you do on the test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior