My Gen 3 2004

VTR

Had this truck for about a month or more. You know, I want to write a book here, about the buying and how I broke all my own rules. Skimpy carfax, so I feel I took a chance. Sometimes I am on pins and needles driving the thing around. Drives great though. A friend has one, he said one in this shape had to have been taken car of both mechanically, and exterior wise. We argued, I said I have know folks who keep a vehicle looking good but ignore the mechanics, he disagreed. Right now I am trying to get the Mitsubishi USA sight to except me into the garage section, so far no luck. Hoping the guy just took it to dealers all the time. He did have it in a shop, looked up and called, they said timing belt, seals, water pump was done there this was at 104 thou, bought with 114 on the dial. Did all I could, crawled underneath, checked boots, shocks, looked for leaks (should not see the slow leak from oil pump hoses, it dripped onto some cross beam. Etc. Etc. Had an inspections, fluids changed, some were still good to go, oil pump hoses changed, and I drove with more confidence. My daily has been a Suzuki SX4 2008 hatch AWD, even mount a RTT on this little robust car. You know this little hatch weighs close to 3000 lbs., has a low lock splitting 50 50? Best vehicle I have ever owned, has 92 thou on it now, just reg. fluid replacement per manual. etc. My suzuki crossbars (thule brand) fit nicely on the Mit., so tent going up there come spring. I have the Tepui Ayre 95 lbs, should be fine. Read through every thread concerning the gen 3, and than some (196 pages on my phone) Be low on money for a while, so nothing exciting for a while. Wife and I have Mountain property in Colo., F150 work truck, 2wd drags or little camper up, and we parked it, than take trips from there. To many times we have set in the truck exploring and decide not to chance going up any further that mountain road, now we will take the Monty. Nothing extreme, but should be fun continuing on this time around. I could post way to many picks, but I will not. Here are a few.
(I have the center blinking light, read enough that did not bother me in the slightest.) I will be back with my Top Ten Take Aways buying a Gen 3.

Attachments

• IMG_20190203_134923519.jpg
    IMG_20190203_134923519.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20190120_131957197_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190120_131957197_HDR.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 17

VTR

Had a couple more pics, accidentally hit post.

Attachments

• IMG_20190120_131757102_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190120_131757102_HDR.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20190118_165838800.jpg
    IMG_20190118_165838800.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20190113_123802967_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190113_123802967_HDR.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 18

VTR

Top Ten Take Aways when you get your Gen. 3
  1. It leaks, get over it.
  2. You'll be replacing some sensors
  3. Good at soldering, you need to fix the blinking center diff light
  4. You get one key, no fob, or extra key.
  5. Your sub spkr will be blown, ya like crackle
  6. No proof of timing belt chain replacement, get working. (you'll lament no timing chain)
  7. Maybe you will get the third seat, but headrest will be missing
  8. You'll take it with the DVD player, make excuses why you don't care about the sunroof
  9. Nobody knows the roof racks capacity, is it 75, 175, 225 Ilbs?
  10. The engine design was done by 5 or 4 people in different countries, not in the same room, something like that. butterfly wha?
Probably more if I sat here long enough. Oh another, there is no antenna, motor for antenna works though

Last edited:

MoabRefugee

Observer
VTR, at the end of it all, will be a fantastic vehicle. Chasing down a monkeyed with TB, but in spite of this, I have loved this vehicle since' I got it back in '15. My whole family has NM/NP Montero's now(my folks put 385k on a 90 RS LWB), so we already had some positive experience with Monty's.

Stick with it, and it will be all that others crack it up to be. I am fortunate enough to live in Moab, and the J/LR/LC crowd are continually blown away by the capabilities of this vehicle with stock springs/KYB's and a careful pilot. I won't beat around the bush, it's a PITA to get it there, but IMO way worth it if you enjoy OCD'ing on your own vehicle.

And if you give up, message me. We need another NP for Raven Shuttle...coming very soon!

plh

Explorer
  6. No proof of timing belt chain replacement, get working. (you'll lament no timing chain)
  8. You'll take it with the DVD player, make excuses why you don't care about the sunroof
  10. The engine design was done by 5 or 4 people in different countries, not in the same room, something like that. butterfly wha?
Probably more if I sat here long enough. Oh another, there is no antenna, motor for antenna works though

1. - not mine
  2. - yes (o2, there are 4.)
  3. - not mine (yet?)
  4. - yes - ebay fob $26
  5. - yes - Polk db840 is the replacement.
  6. - yes - 90K mile first one 60K mile subsequent (timing chains also need replacing) do the water pump at the same time. OEM Tensioner.
  7. - I've use it like twice in 7 1/2 years of ownership.
  8. - no DVD (sunroof model) but the OEM head unit has now been replaced with a double din android unit and the climate control moved down to where the old CD changer was.
  9. - 225 lbs - its in the owners manual
  10. - Hyundai butterfly assemble and some welding is the reasonably priced fix - on my list.

Last edited:

ChrisCosta416

I disagree with some of your "top ten take aways"

1. It leaks, get over it. - I have never had any leaks
  2. You'll be replacing some sensors - One, which is the 4wd solenoid
  3. Good at soldering, you need to fix the blinking center diff light - Soldering is only needed on the R10 resistor for temp gauge fix
  4. You get one key, no fob, or extra key. - Differs for each sale
  5. Your sub spkr will be blown, ya like crackle - Yup its true
  6. No proof of timing belt chain replacement, get working. (you'll lament no timing chain) - get maintenance records..
  7. Maybe you will get the third seat, but headrest will be missing - this is true
  8. You'll take it with the DVD player, make excuses why you don't care about the sunroof - I like my sunroof
  9. Nobody knows the roof racks capacity, is it 75, 175, 225 Ilbs? - see owners manual
  10. The engine design was done by 5 or 4 people in different countries, not in the same room, something like that. butterfly wha? - 6G75 is pretty reliable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles