My Gelandewagen Build | Slow and Budgeted!

hummermaniac88

Observer
Greetings All,

Been a long time lurker with a few questions here and there. I feel I have made enough progress to actually show my build.

I have been searching for a W463 PRE MBUSA for 2 years and finally found one 1 year ago from Japan.

It s a 1997 LWB G320 with a M104 and a 722.372. had it shipped to Vancouver and then to my hometown Montreal in Canada.

I've been in love with the W463, defender and Hummer H1 since a kid. But when it comes to a good all rounder, I feel the W463 suits my needs.

I knew quickly my end goal was to make a W463 OM606 Superturbodiesel Overland vehicle.

This is the thread about a 28 year old with no mechanical skills, no big funding trying to chase his ambitious dreams. Lots of lessons learn along the way.

Here is the picture from day 1 in Vancouver:

The cars made friends on the boat from Japan!

Lesson #1 Auction grade 4/5 doesn't mean anything. Came with misfires, non working windshield wipers, broken electric windows, broken vents and a few electrical gremlins here and there.

And no, it's AMG, badge came off as soon as it got to Montreal.

Off it drops at Livingston for a cross Canadian train ride to Montreal!

hummermaniac88

Observer
Figured out a bad coil pack that led 2 Cylinders to not ignite. Changed the coilpack and thermostat so I'd actually get heat in the winter. Drove the car as is through the winter season.

Spring rolls around, I slowly collect parts for my project.

I find locally a great deal on a OM606 with a OM603 pump and a 722.6XX with a bad conductor plate.

Leak down test showed 4% leak, however as a precaution to not visit the mechanic weekly, the head was removed and sent in for a rebuild with new seals, valves and springs.

hummermaniac88

Observer
The M104 was pulled from the car so the W463 parts may be accessed.

Say bye bye to your old engine! (For sale)

And out it goes!

And here is the 722.372 out! (For sale)

hummermaniac88

Observer
The head is back from the rebuild and is fresh as a Daisy!

Bolted back on the OM606, and removed all the stock stuff in preparation for my new OM603 injection pump (Super turbo diesel), headers and Holset HX40W.

Off comes the OM606 electric IP. It really stuck with me when my high school math teacher said Keep It Simple Stupid, altought, I feel like I kept it stupid simple, haha...

Off comes the stock turbo and manifold.

hummermaniac88

Observer
Was doing some wiring work for the Arduino TCM we stumble onto the holy grail of electrical problems. The infamous K40 relay, brought a tear of joy knowing I found 80% of the solution to my electrical problems. Looks pretty bad. Fuel gauge, rough idle and other little intermittent annoying issues shall be solved!

hummermaniac88

Observer
It's transmission day!

The oil came in, using OEM oil, spec'd for the 722.6XX.

As the 722.3XX shaft is longer than the 722.6XX shaft, a shorter prop shaft was needed.

I had 2 options, 1) source (Nearly impossible) an OEM short shaft or 2) shorten my OEM shaft.

Turns out option #3 exists. As this is a Super Turbo Diesel build with at least double the torque of the stock output, a stronger shaft is needed, which option 1 and 2 both have short comings.

I decided that I need a shorter and stronger shaft. I had the center shaft machined and heat treat by a prop shaft expert.

Should be good to handle the new output figures. If anyone is interested, I have the original shaft for sale along with a new stronger machine shaft of the same length for sale and also another copy of my

New short stronger shaft! Love it!

Stock shaft.

New, stronger machined shaft in OEM W463 722.3XX length.

New, stronger machined shaft in OEM W463 722.6XX length (Shorter).

hummermaniac88

Observer
Before we dive into the exciting stuff, we do a little freshening up of the little bits and piece.

The horizontal Alda from DPUK was a little tricky to figure out with no help. But we will not be defeated! On goes the Super turbo diesel pump!

hummermaniac88

Observer
Intercooler time!

This was trickier than I thought, to find an intercooler big enough but one that would fit.

The test fitting was nervous.

Have to cut a little of the car to route the piping.

All bolted in and cut.

Does it fit with the grill...?

DA TUM, it does!

hummermaniac88

Observer
As it sits today. Currently pending all the hoses and fittings, coming week will be a big one, should be able to start the engine for the first time in 6 months (Yes I waited 6 month to post). Welder should come in and fabricate the downpipe and exhaust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles