My FZJ80 modest build

kbahus

Adventurer
I ran the low, aka "stock ride height" kit for a short while but went to 2" springs upfront which leveled it out nicely. The ride was harsh and it had that stinkbug look because the rear springs were basically 2" lift springs. Once I added a swing out I had to add 10mm spacers in the back though. I don't know how much weight you would have to add to get it level but I would guess a rear bumper with a swing out would you get you there. Good looking rig, I love the Line-x and need to do something similar to mine. Also, do you think that Speski cargo barrier is pretty stout? I have been tempted to get one to keep my 90lb lab secured.

Last edited:

Mayne

Explorer
I eventually want a cargo drawer, and rear plate bumper, but I'm pretty dissolutioned with swing outs, pain in the butt. I want more fuel, but instead of swings, I'm thinking a sub tank. Dunno about CARB liking that much. The front is waiting for a bull bar, winch, and a second batt, so there should be plenty weight up front. If it looks to off putting, then I'll prolly use some trim packers. Not really worried about the stink bug look, as long as I performs to spec.

Last edited:

kbahus

Adventurer
I agree with the swing outs being a pain, especially if you have dogs. I think with all of those planned additions it is going to settle out pretty good at a stockish ride height. I will edit my first post to keep your build thread clean since it's not apples to apples.

Mayne

Explorer
All good, I like the discussion, and you rig looks awesome. I've no compunctions about it. I've go to go change spelling in last nights post, as my spelling **** seemed to fall short...

Mayne

Explorer
Thanks Mauka, but lift is still in the mail. I don't want to mislead anybody, but that's still uncle toyota's springs under there. It's going to be awhile as I ordered an ARB commercial bumper and those are usually special ordered slow boated from Oz. I knew this going into it, so I'm not bothered. Anybody have issues with he ignition switch? I giggle it, an it works, bu I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I replaced it and the module behind it a few months ago.

Thanks

Mayne

Explorer
Sorry I missed that question. No spacers involved. With the flares nixed, the back spacing looked normal enough to me.

Kelley

Mayne

Explorer
Well, in the category of "that was fun... not!" I spent ten hours on Thursday replacing the oil pump o ring, dizzy o ring, and front main seal. Most of the time was spent getting the very last phillips head screw out the oil pump. All the screws up to that point came out as designed. Two hours the next day fiddling about with an oil change, and negotiating with the oil filter.
It done, no pics as there are plenty on Mud, and the fan clutch was upgraded to the blue clutch. I'm happy I did it, and so far so good, but not looking forward to having to do that again any time soon.
Next round o fun.... The dreaded PHH!

Mayne

P.S. all crying aside, if you live in he South Bay, and would like help doing this, I can save you some time and money in tooling.
LMK if I can be of assistance.

kbahus

Adventurer
The PHH isn't nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I also recommend just bypassing the factory hard pipe up to the heater valve. I did mine years ago that way and have not had an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz